Good Documentaries (3 Viewers)

I was cleaning the house this weekend, and pulled out my old VHS copy of the first Ramones documentary, We're Outta Here. I don't think it was ever available on anything but VHS?
It wasn't, and it still isn't. I just transferred a VHS copy to DVD, so I'll be watching it soon.

Maybe I have a different version though, because the tape I have clocks in at just under two hours, and you say yours is 2:30...

Best Worst Movie, about the making of Troll 2, is a really great doc - particularly for the scenes with the mother, who is (in real life) 7 kinds of crazy.
I watched that over the weekend, and it is very good. It made me want to see Troll 2, but so far I have resisted that urge.

RAMONE.jpg
It wasn't, and it still isn't. I just transferred a VHS copy to DVD, so I'll be watching it soon.

Maybe I have a different version though, because the tape I have clocks in at just under two hours, and you say yours is 2:30...

Hey mjp. I can't remember now if it runs that long, but I just re-checked my tape and it does show 150minutes. Is this the version you have? I thought there was only one version, but maybe not...

I'll have to look at the tape box, but it seems like that might just be a typo. Or they meant 1:50 - one hour and 50 minutes.

And I thought that my two-floor house is small.

Amazing documentary with many highlights.
Steve Richmond would have loved the French cave.

I watched a great 80 min. documentary on TV today called "Kumaré - The False Guru", about an American of Indian descent who sets out to prove all those guru's are not more spiritual than the rest of us. So, he invents a completely bogus meditation system, dresses himself as an Indian guru with a loin cloth and a cape and a long staff, and with long beard and hair and he speaks broken English with an exaggerated Indian accent and he soon gets a bunch of followers who all think he's the best thing since sliced bread. One obese follower loses 70 pounds, thanks to the "wisdom" she receives from the fake guru, and some of the other followers thinks the guru has changed their lives forever and for the better, such as a young girl who had no purpose in life and did'nt want to work, who ends up being a certified yoga instructor. At the end, the fake guru reveals himself and stands before his followers after he's cut his hair and shaved his beard off and dressed himself in his normal clothes. He tells them about the experiment, that he's really an American (of Indian descent), and how he wanted to prove that nobody is more spiritual than anybody else, and that you should'nt listen to so called gurus. About 2/3 of the followers reacts in a positive way and still likes him (amazing!), but the last 1/3 refuses to have anything to do with him feeling they've been had.
It's from 2011 or 2012, so I don't think it's not on Amazon yet.

The trailer is on Youtube. Here's the link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the Marley documentary this afternoon. Lots of chills throughout, and most of the story I didn't know. Such was my life. Then I messed it up by watching the Graceland documentary just put on A&E. Should have waited so I wouldn't have the two moving through my brain (what there is of it) at the moment.

Why are they really bad? You say so based on this forum!?

no, not at all! i liked them alot when i was a kid but one day the smoke cleared and i realized "this is awful music".

and as the foo fighters drummer says in the movie - "the chicks don't really dig it".

that's proof enough for me. :DD

You say so based on this forum!?
You think this forum is so powerful and mind-altering that it can make people type things they don't believe?

Speaking of mind altering, I saw Rush in an arena the 70s, at the height of their fame. I did not like their music, but my friends and I went to see everyone. We were equal opportunity that way. And you never knew, a band you didn't care for could really surprise you.

But Rush didn't surprise me. Oh my, it was awful. They just stood there while the ugly one shrieked and shrieked and it seemed as if it would never end. It was so dull that people actually woke up to cheer when the double-neck guitars were brought out. That was the most exciting part. Seeing the guitars with two necks.

I'll watch the documentary though, because any documentary about music is a good documentary.

being Canadian, I thought I was forced to listen to Rush because of Can Con (a certain percentage of what is broadcast has to be of Canadian origin). imagine my surprise when I found out how popular they were outside of Canada. jesus.

Poor wandering Huckleberry Finn,
Doesn't know what dimension he's in.
Laser teeth of glittery doom!
His mind implodes in an apocalyptic boom!

Drum fill.

Drum fill

Drum fill.

or some such crap.

This one is even better. So deep and metaphoric.

Imagine you're the singer and the lyricist for the group hands this to you with a straight face and you have to sing it. Life must suck at moments like those, even when you're a millionaire.

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'Oppression!'
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

I think I've learned more about, and have heard more of, Rush in the last couple years than in the previous 35. CBC Radio One changed their format and are on various bandwagons not previously thought about. I'd given up on FM programming in the late 1970s after getting a nasty letter from the local station (they didn't like my list of 1977 punk bands, big wow!). CBC was the alternative and Rush (or that band from Ontario, what's their name?) wasn't being played. Until now.

Recently rewatched the 1973 Hendrix documentary. Saw it in the theatre back in the 1970s.

[This video is unavailable.]

I've got a fine one for you - searched through the pages of this thread and nobody seemed to have mention it.
It's called Big River Man. I copied part of a summary from a user review on IMDB, since I couldn't have written it better myself:

Martin Strel is one of those rare individuals that is larger than life. He's an overweight world record holding athlete that is also an alcoholic, chronic gambler and occasional action movie star. He is a national celebrity in his home country Slovenia where he enjoys benefits such as free club memberships, being allowed to drive drunk and park wherever he likes and also access to a secluded cave where he inputs a special code given to him by the government to meditate in peace and prepare for his upcoming challenge.

(The challenge is that he attempts to swim 3,375 miles of the Amazon River.)

I watched this documentary twice and have so much to say about it, but don't want to spoil it for anyone.
It's not about swimming, really.

Anyway, look it up!

Watched Man On Wire last week, as someone already recommended in the beginning of this thread. Entirely different from my first choice, but inspirational in the you-can-do-anything kind of way. The sky is the limit.

We have 'big hole' 45s here too. And even coffee now :cool:

Really enjoyed "Pickaxe" and "If a Tree Falls" - both docs about environmental protesters in the pacific northwest, the latter about the ELF.

Fine , a documentary over Les Paul in German TV ! So I sit with my "Junior " and a bottle of beer , smoke some American Spirit cigarettes....have a good time , yeah !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back