Good Documentaries (3 Viewers)

Nice.

"The Vault" won't be completely opened until Price dies. Even then he'll probably have some weird codicil in his will that keeps anyone from hearing it for another hundreds years.

The point made at the end of that piece - that "The Vault" is more valuable to him closed than it is open - is no doubt right. Having heard some of it, there are a lot of gems there. And of course a lot of non-gems. Just like anyone's unreleased work. But I think he releases enough representative stuff to give you an idea where he's at. As the kids say.

The worst thing that could happen is his music being remixed or Martinized after his death. And I'm sure that's one of the things he's afraid of, since that kind of meddling is so common in the music world.

this was really good - on HBO

jinx-key-3.jpg

Durst appeared quite mad right at the beginning of JINX, and he didn't really waver from that, so kudos for consistency.

Los Angeles wanting to extradite him now on the murder charge seems like a pretty obvious and unavoidable result of airing the series, so I'm not sure what Durst was thinking when he agreed to do it in the first place.

Durst appeared quite mad right at the beginning of JINX...

...I'm not sure what Durst was thinking when he agreed to do it in the first place.

hand in hand, i'm sure...

i really found the show riveting. i'd never heard of him or the case till last week.

Last edited:
He did, but it could have all been crap too, which it probably usually is.

Though when you find thousands of negatives in one place you have to figure the person was serious about photography.

I've taken a lot of pictures in my life, but my negatives could probably fit in a shoe box.

I just finished watching the Ken Burns Jazz and Prohibition docs while running on treadmill since Jan. Lost 40 lbs (now 155) and feel a bit smarter too. Who knew George Remus was the archetype for Gatsby?? Now I have to read the damn book.
Just starting the Baseball series. If you like Ken Burns you love Ken Burns and his effect.

Baseball is over 18 hours long and not a single moment is uninteresting. Just watched Going Clear, about Scientology. Good doc, but I already knew quite a bit about it, being an OT-3 and all.

Tales of the Grim Sleeper - HBO documentaries.

Serial killer Lonnie Franklin is being tried for 10 or 20 murders here in Los Angeles, but some people say he was responsible for almost 200. Police sat on the case and didn't really say anything about it for 20 years, because all the victims were black women, many of them drug addicts. "Why do you care?" one cop told an activist, "he's just killing hookers."

In case you were wondering why anti-police riots keep happening in Ferguson, Baltimore, Miami, Los Angeles (and coming soon to a neighborhood near you)...watching this should give you some idea.

The new Kurt Cobain doc - montage of heck, is really great.

I'm a big fan of docs about bands or artists who don't 'make it' but keep going anyway. I find them inspiring, comforting and also amusing.

like uh...
american movie
dig
anville

Does anyone know any others in this category?

Saw Searching for Sugarman tonight. Very cool. Spolier alert if you know nothing about it and want to watch it-jump to your Facebook page.
I love that he has sold out shows coming up this year.
The guys his fans from SA are the story here for me.
A good idea needs no permission.

Tales of the Grim Sleeper - HBO documentaries.
In case you were wondering why anti-police riots keep happening in Ferguson, Baltimore, Miami, Los Angeles (and coming soon to a neighborhood near you)...watching this should give you some idea.
Everything pales in significance on viewing this. The articulacy, particularly of the relatives, is heartbreaking; unbelievable considering the trauma of living in a place that does not recognise your humanity. N.H.I. There's an 'acronym' for you.

P.S. Protect and Serve.

Last edited:
Bright Lights, Brilliant Minds; A Tale of Three Cities. Covering three cities in pivotal years; Vienna 1908, Paris 1928 and New York 1951.
Could have done with 3 episodes for each.Didn't agree with his view of Klimt's The Kiss in the Vienna episode though.
PS Sorry about first episode! a bit weird and not in synch, just noticed. They were all on BBC iplayer for rpts earlier this year, now gone.
[This video is unavailable.]

Last edited:
I saw "Little White Lie" which is now streaming on Netflix. They are a local Woodstock family (although I did not know that when I put it on.) Really pretty amazing doc...

Judging from this NYT review, the new Amy Winehouse doc sounds worth a look. The filmmaker had the co-operation of her two best childhood friends and her manager, plus access to home movies and concert footage. I've heard Tony Bennett was especially kind to her during their recording sessions and helped her get a grip - at least temporarily. There is footage of those sessions as well. Looking forward to this.

Was that doc film the one that her father had issues with, or was that a feature film made about her?

I was never really able to get into her music. Whenever I heard her voice, it made me keep thinking of Shirley Bassey for some reason.

Just watched Dennis Rodman's Big Bang in Pyongyang. Rodman is still a nut and North Korea is still weird, so all is as you would expect here.

wow. what is that guys problem...

why is he always making himself cry? is he that blown away by himself?

what a retarded jackass.

He tends to overimbibe and it makes him emotional. It's an interesting documentary whether you think he's a clown or not. And he is a clown, I think he'd admit that. But he isn't the most self-aware guy on the face of the earth, so sometimes it seems like he's just breezing through everything like a goofball.

But it's such an unlikely scenario, The Worm paling around with a dictator. There isn't another American who goes and hangs out with Kim Jong-un. There isn't another American who even tries to talk to him, so it's just a crazy story. And it really shows the whole enemy mindset that we take sometimes for how ridiculous it can be.

Not that I think we should say, "Hey, North Korea, it's cool, what you're doing," but how do you change a place like that? How do you open the door? What if we still ignored Germany or Japan or Russia because they had (or have) some fucked up leaders? If we hated our enemies forever we'd be as isolated as North Korea is.

Greatest Rodman line from the movie is when he's giving a toast to Kim Jong-un and he says, "Your father and your grandfather did some fucked up shit, but you're trying to change things, and I like that." How's that for diplomacy? Ha.

It was on the DVR so it must have been on HBO or something. Yeah, it's probably not something you'd want to pay $7 to watch.

I just checked, it's on Showtime on demand right now.

Greatest Rodman line from the movie is when he's giving a toast to Kim Jong-un and he says, "Your father and your grandfather did some fucked up shit, but you're trying to change things, and I like that."

okay, now i have to see it! :DD

For anyone in Los Angeles who's interested, it's showing on Sunday at the Arclight in Hollywood and there's a Q&A with the director afterward.
Yeah! Okay! I'll watch it! If I can watch it for free, I'll watch it.

It must have been her beehive or something that's got me ... kind of ... quasi-interested!

I still think she sings too much like Shirley Bassey, for me to consider her UNIQUE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back