Good Documentaries (1 Viewer)

yup the brown one. agreed and agreed...

interesting the controversy over who wrote the tunes. levon says he and the other guys wrote them (or co-wrote) and robbie r claimed full ownership.

It's seems Robbie is not lacking in confidence. That's not the first instance where it's been claimed that things are not as they seem and because of Robbie. Case in point, he overdubbed some stuff on The Last Waltz and The Basement Tapes and has been know to be a bit dismissive of his co-worker's efforts & accomplishments. He tinkers with things (and subsequently the Band's history) a little too much for some people's liking. It may not be on the same scale but it does remind me of a certain editor of a famous writer who died in the 90's. :wb:

p.s. Notice how I referred to the brown album as "lp"? That makes me cool & hip, right?:cool: Oh, I'm all about the icons today. Don't get me stared. I heard a TED talk about it and I just can't stop.:p :abge::hmh::DDo_0o

The Band. that's the brown album doc? Really good. A favorite lp too.
yup the brown one. agreed and agreed...
Definiteley. The You Tube video for the album isn't showing up over here, which is a shame..
There's a quote somewhere by Eric Clapton when Cream were splitting up, he talks about being keen to collaborate in some way with Bob Dylan and The Band, but he said he stuck out like a sore thumb, over from London an exotic vision in an Afghan Coat and purple trousers, meanwhile they all looked like escapees from the Hole in the Wall Gang.:) I love that album Cover and Whispering Pines is one of my favourite songs. .

For those interested in Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Steve Earle and the like, pitchfork.com is streaming the excellent Heartworn Highways from 1975.

Highly recommended.

Edit: streaming over. Only available for 24 hours. So...

"Little White Lie" which is now streaming on Netflix. They are a local Woodstock family (although I did not know that when I put it on.) Really pretty amazing doc...
Saw that a couple weeks ago. It's really good.
My favorite part is when her friend says that black people accept people of all different shades as "black," and it's a good and powerful thing that she (the filmmaker) is forcing white people to accept her as white. Talk about laying the double standard out there on the table for everyone to see: that "white" is this one very specific thing and anyone who deviates is "other." That you can't be white if you're all mixed up with some other colored type!

Yeah, Danny Say hasn't been released in theaters in Philly yet. Gimme Danger will come out 10/28 so I'm there. I'd be there just bc it's Jarmusch but the combo w/ Iggy is undeniable. Last night I watched Blackfish w/ my boys. they had to watch it for school. Man, SeaWorld and all that shit is so stupid. Leave the sea animals alone, Christ!

A lot of you may have already seen this but, for all you Burroughs' fans who haven't, it looks like the BBC's Arena documentary is back up on YouTube. Not sure how long for, but watch it while you can...it's fairly good quality too:

[This video is unavailable.]

Saw this last Friday. It was fuckin' awesome. But then again my opinion may be a bit distorted because I also think Jim Jarmusch and Iggy Pop are awesome. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

A lot of you may have already seen this but, for all you Burroughs' fans who haven't, it looks like the BBC's Arena documentary is back up on YouTube. Not sure how long for, but watch it while you can...it's fairly good quality too:
Speaking of Burroughs, this is it. Just got my hands on it. Jarmush was the sound man. He and his friends did it while students at NYU film school. It was shown in limited release in theaters but mostly it was passed around by fans in poor quality on video tape. Criterion & Jarmusch and Howard Brookner's nephew Aaron Brookner restored it. Interesting and a fascinating time capsule.

I'm watching this now on terrestrial.

http://bbc.in/2erKf0J

Untitled-1.jpg

Speaking of Burroughs, this is it. Just got my hands on it.
I bought a copy of that film, just to compare it with the Arena version and both have their own qualities but I can't help but recall the letter Burroughs wrote about how frustrated he was with Howard Brookner and all the hours of film footage he'd taken of Burroughs. In the end, Burroughs seemed to indicate that Brookner was stuck with the editing side of it (one of the hardest parts when making any film I think).

Saw this last Friday. It was fuckin' awesome. But then again my opinion may be a bit distorted because I also think Jim Jarmusch and Iggy Pop are awesome. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Saw it Sunday night. Wish it was better. Kept asking myself why is that song from that year being played with that photo/footage? Multiple instances of that. (One guy from the stooges forum noted that after I Got a Right was touted by Iggy from those early UK sessions as being amazing an alternate version of it was played. Huh?) The documentary was an extended Iggy interview inter-spliced with other input by Scott and Ron Asheton (and their sister Kathy), Steve MacKay, Mike Watt, James Williamson, Danny Fields and a few others. I don't know if they couldn't get permission (or afford) the Creem archive (cover story from June 1974, etc., Of Pop and Pies and Fun by Lester Bangs from late 1970, etc.) or those are being saved for the Creem documentary but I felt the loss of that part of the story not being there. This morning, out of loyalty to The Stooges, I said "8 out of 10". This evening, 7 out of 10 and dropping.

That would have annoyed me too If I had noticed. I was equally excited to have a day off and go to the movies in the middle of the day ;)

Hi all,

New poster here.

I know that it's been mentioned previously, but Vinyl is excellent and not at all that much about record collecting. And it's on youtube.
All Alan Zweig films are compelling, but Vinyl is a great place to start. He considers Buk and Harvey Pekar amongst his influences, so you'll be familiar with his tone.

Also, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Touching The Void as it was one of the biggest 'event' docs of the 00s (maybe I just missed the mention of it).
If you have not seen it, do it at your earliest convenience. Great story telling.

yes. I own a copy of the "reconstruction" version. Excellent. Luke Skywalker did a good job in it too.

It's very good, but the acting is corny. It reminds me of The Exiles, which was also clumsily acted, but the location of the film - Bunker Hill, downtown L.A. and Chavez Ravine in the late 50s - is priceless because it's all gone now. Well, downtown isn't gone, but Bunker Hill is gone, and Dodger Stadium sits where the Chavez Ravine neighborhood used to be.

Here's a short Bowery film from 10-15 years later. The place didn't change much until gentrification hit in the (late?) 90s:

Harry would turn up at your door, at 4 o'clock in the morning, and you kind of knew that the next three days of your life were going to be an adventure.

Understatement of the century (let's go with last century). Brilliant man; if he and Buk had gotten together, critical mass would have ensued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back