Good Documentaries (2 Viewers)

https://vimeo.com/migrantmedia/injustice (The site isn't allowing the video to be embeded hence the link)

I only discovered this documentary recently after hearing the news of yet another young black man, Rashan Charles, dying at the hands of the police. He was chased into a shop and restrained "for his own safety" after being seen to deposit something into his mouth. It was later found to be a paracetamol/caffeine mixture.

I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes with Anton Newcombe of TBJM...
I was just looking at "verified" Twitter accounts that follow @bukowski_net, and look who showed up:

anton.png

A verified Twitter account is supposed to mean you're notable or famous. But of the 54 verified accounts that follow @bukowski_net, I only recognize about half a dozen of the names.

The Misfits is an underrated movie. It gets more attention bc it's both Gable & Monroe's last movie, not because it's exceptional. This is pretty good.

Although not incredibly enlightening to big fans like myself the footage and manner in which it was put together is enjoyable. At some point u begin to wonder when there's going to be a Bukowski mention. The folks who did the doc did not bring him up but Tom did briefly mention Buk. Whether one like Tom's work or not I think it's fair to say that thematically Tom & Buk mined the same L.A. vein, at least in the first part of Tom's career. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LVy_-lBUUg&feature=youtu.be

"Read about your band in some local page/ Didn't mention your name, didn't mention your name "

I didn't know if I should post this in the "listening to" thread or the doc thread but here you go. And I swear mjp I was not surfing the web for Minneapolis 80's footage. Just by co-incidence I've always loved music from there. This landed on my fb wall courtesy of Dangerous Minds. It's a 1988 public television doc about "the scene".

‘THE MINNEAPOLIS SOUND,’ LOCAL TV REPORT FROM 1988 ON PRINCE, HÜSKER DÜ AND THE REPLACEMENTS

"Muscle Shoals" is one of the best music documentaries (and one of the best docs, period) that I've ever seen. I deeply regret that I was born in the Deep South of the U.S.A., and lived there for over 20 years, and yet, still never got to check out, in person, the great, soulful musical culture in the Muscle Shoals area of Alabama!! Who knew that so many of the musicians on a large number of classic '60s/'70s soul records were Southern white guys?! This Southern white guy definitely didn't know, until I saw this great movie!

"I am not your negro", Raoul Peck's brilliant documentary about James Baldwin
views and accounts on racism in America
James Baldwin:
"The world is not white. It never was white. Can't be white. White is a metaphor for power and that is simply ...
Anyone read anything that he has published?
Plan to buy something that he has written.

Last edited:
"I am not your negro", Raoul Peck's brilliant documentary about James Baldwin views and accounts on racism in America
I saw the first thirty minutes or so of that documentary two nights ago on U.S. public television but had to (reluctantly) go to sleep and missed the rest. I will watch all of it soon though.

Several years ago, I read part of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son, and based on what I can remember, I would definitely recommend it (actually, I should buy it and finally read the whole thing myself!). He was a formidable intellect and had the kind of visible moral authority which could quietly, but firmly and powerfully, call people to account for their bad actions (or lack of good actions). How we need his witness, in many ways, in these times!

L7: Pretend We're Dead

It's on Amazon Prime if you go that way. A great little slice of rock and roll documentary-ness reminding us that "minor success" is really failure with a prettier name, but that even failure can have its great moments.

L7-1.jpg

Well...I'm more a fan of the documentary than the music.

For the first 20 minutes of the movie I was thinking, "This music is awful, South Africans are crazy," but the story around the music is great. The mystery, the hunt, the resurrection, it has everything.

This is coming out in December as bonus material on The Criterion release of Sam Fuller's Forty Guns. I look forward to the doc as much as the movie.

For the first 20 minutes of the movie I was thinking, "This music is awful, South Africans are crazy," but the story around the music is great. The mystery, the hunt, the resurrection, it has everything.
Stranger still is he plays Royal Albert this week-the show is sold out. Almost needs a 2nd documentary!

Saw this hilarious doc this weekend. P.S. One of the main dorks, the "King" of Kong, has since been discovered as a cheater! Oh the drama.

Gunsmoke Blues - Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner, George "Harmonica" Smith

Summary: One weekend in November, 1971, bluesfreak, Link Wyler and his buddies from the Gunsmoke TV crew, gave in to temptation. On production hiatus, they bolted Hollywood to go and film Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner and George "Harmonica" Smith, who were then barnstorming the U.S. Pacific Northwest with their bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back