Robert Quine (The Voidoids)
Marc Bolan
Andy Gill (Gang of Four)
Steve Albini (Big Blacck/Shellac)
Steve Diggle (Buzzcocks)
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Robby Krieger (The Doors)

You got some nice picks there-especially like the Quine, Gill choices.

No, no, no! Despite the claims of musical instrument manufacturers, the bass is not, and never will be a guitar. Damn fools who try to make it socially acceptable to use a pick on a bass! Damn you all to hell.

It's a bass, dammit. Completely different animals. The guitar is a pterodactyl, and the bass is anything that eats everything.

I take it you're a T-Rex fan? :eek:

Rumor has it, that's that new theme song for Michael Phelps' wholesome ad campaign.

But they've remastered/switched the words a bit, kinda like Stone did in The Doors movie, with Kilmer. ;)

Elliott Smith is amazing.

So on to greatest guitarists of yesterday and today:

Yesterday - JOHNNY RAMONE!
Today - JACK WHITE!

I like:
Zoot Horn Rollo
Snakefinger
D. Boon
Edward Van Halen (the classic stuff with DLR)
Frank Zappa
Eddie Hazel
Sugarfoot
Gatemouth Brown
Mississippi John Hurt
Jimi Hendrix

and many, many more...

The "strange gigs" thread makes me realize I forgot to quote Vernon "glamour boy" Reid !
luv.gif

any of the guitarists here know/like lenny breau? here's a clip from a live album of his.

yeah that's a great album. there's a documentary on youtube that's worth watching -

Keith Richards , the best and baddest guitarplayer of all time , only five strings on his Telecaster and in many open tunings . He do his own stuff !
Ritchie Blackmore , hard and heavy icon
David Hollestelle , a good Rythmenplayer from Netherland
Jason Krause Twisted Brown Trucker Band from Detroit

Don't bother sitting through that if you want an explanation of why that groovy monster voice metal dude takes two of the strings off his guitars. He doesn't explain or talk about that at all, other than to say "I only use four." How enlightening.

for the clean and nimble sound i dig chet atkins every day of the week. he will never drive me crazy and i appreciate that. for an electric version of the same thing mark knopfler, who;s voice i think is also good, although his lyrics are generally garbage. for clean and relaxed, keola beamer doing slack key guitar. in alt/country rock hayes carll is versatile - versatility is a quality that, to me, makes somebody great nowadays. but then, being one with a particular style might be easier to live with! for BIG-WAILING rock and roll, i'm going to go with prince over all those other stadium rockers. minneapolis in the house. For punk rock I don't know much of anything but jones/strummer of the clash worked well together imo (the category of chemistry BETWEEN guitarists in the same group is different though maybe). for body and soul, john lee hooker. detroit transplants represent.

guys like chuck berry and georges brassens do a good job of using their singing and lyrics and guitars all together. that to me is a separate skill, but a cool one.

Georges Brassens? I am surprised to read this here, but still impressed. With Brel, Brassens was one of the best french lyricist (poet) for sure. His guitar style was very odd, since he learned to play, only to accompany himself. His rhythms are continuously changing to fit the line.
Some wiki stuff below, but quite accurate. He was my introduction to poetry and resistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Brassens

As a guitarist who has spent many hours in pursuit of tricky scales and "secret" techniques, I only saw one who ever made me go "WTF ?", and that was Frank Zappa (from his Chicago stop on the "You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore" tour of 1988 - can't recall the exact tune.) He did something completely "outside" yet prefectly sensible within the song. Of course, that was Zappa's genius in music and everything generally.

As for the Technique vs. Feeling debate, may I submit this. The magic begins at 3:33. Bob Stinson wasn't a polished player but tone, technique, and timing all came together on this brief solo. A great example of feedback used as an intro rather than a climactic point.

[This video is unavailable.]

Georges Brassens? I am surprised to read this here, but still impressed. With Brel, Brassens was one of the best french lyricist (poet) for sure. His guitar style was very odd, since he learned to play, only to accompany himself. His rhythms are continuously changing to fit the line.
Some wiki stuff below, but quite accurate. He was my introduction to poetry and resistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Brassens

good background! What was the context that you first listened to him? For me it was only five or six years ago, but I was and am impressed by how he intertwined his voice, guitar, and poetry - there was a thread somewhere discussing the fact that most songwriters do not write poetry (if you read their work, it loses its signature character); Brassens certainly seems to be an exception.

I am french canadian. Brassens was on the record player as far as I can remember :wb: . I could probably recite most of his songs. A philosopher and a master of putting lines together with an unusual sense of humour. Sometimes it took him months to put a song together, as history was intertwined in the poetry. You could say that he was cynical and didn't have much hope for humankind. To this day, I still have the pleasure to uncover the full richness of his lines. He is like a rare wine. He was a true rebel and stood by the underdog. There are some similarities with Bukowski. To say that he was one of the greatest guitarists of all time would probably have some people laugh hysterically and swallow their tongue, but to me he is one of the strongest poets I have ever known.

The translation must suck but it gives you a taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back