Harbor Freeway South - Spread, 2001 (1 Viewer)

A while back, I picked up a copy of a small one-page folded pamphlet with the title "A Special Edition of Spread" dated June 2001. Inside is one poem - Harbor Freeway South - and a few pictures. It's 1/50 copies for John Martin and friends.

Harbor Freeway South - front cover.jpg Harbor Freeway South - back cover.jpg

I'm wondering whether or not it would be considered a proper "A" item. I know that the poem is also collected in The Night Torn Mad. Both were published in 2001 - which came first?

Yeah, the poem is the only content.

Harbor Freeway South - inside.jpg

But it's only an A item if the poem has never been published anywhere before, right? That's why I was asking about Night Torn Mad.
Sorry, the criteria for item classification has always confused me a bit.

But it's only an A item if the poem has never been published anywhere before, right?

Hmm, good question. Krumhansl doesn't specify that in the bibliography, so my guess would be no... it would still be an A item. Unfortunately, Aaron hasn't popped in here in quite a while, but maybe someone else on the forum will be able to give a definite answer on that.

There are plenty of examples where books that are considered 'A' items reprint previously published works - a number of BSP releases were collections from previous works - the most obvious being Shakespeare.

In any case - seems like a nice item to own!

It's a single A4 page, photo copied with a crappy picture or two and a poem.
If this thing was limited to 5 copies, it would still be worth 38 cents.

It would probably be an A item in an updated bibliography but it looks so poorly, it should probably be a Crap item.

My understanding is that if a single poem (broadside) is printing a poem that was already included in a proper collection or in a previous "a" item, then the single poem is considered a reprint and not an "A" item. That would explain why "Aftermath" is an A Item, but the reprint of "If We Take" that was printed after Buk's death is not.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...churl=an=bukowski&sts=t&tn=if+we+take&x=0&y=0

71086500.jpg

This was a legitimate release, printed with permission, but is considered a reprint as the poem has been printed in a primary publication before.

There is a whole science to this, and I am not the expert, by any means. I have asked this question before and this was the answer that I was given. It also means that if someone were to gain permission and reprint a broadside of "Genius of the Crowd", it would be considered a reprint as it was already published by d.a. levy and Black Sparrow.

Bill

Which publication of Aftermath... are you referring to, Bill - Story Magazine?

As to the If We Take, it's interesting that it says "copyright 1972" when the poem was first published in 1969. I don't have my books with me right now; perhaps the version in Mockingbird... is different from the 1969/1970 NYG(?).

It's a single A4 page, photo copied with a crappy picture or two and a poem. If this thing was limited to 5 copies, it would still be worth 38 cents.

It would probably be an A item in an updated bibliography but it looks so poorly, it should probably be a Crap item.

Yeah, no doubt it's a piece of junk. I think I paid about 10 bucks for it, but it's probably not even worth that.

I was just trying to decide whether to file it away under 'crappy A item' or 'just plain crap'.

For the record, I noticed today that the timeline here actually includes release months. Night Torn Mad was released in September 2001, which I guess would mean that this came first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back