• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Haunting original portrait of the man himself (1 Viewer)

Are you the seller, john 76? I mean, since you use your very first post to advertise a painting...;)

Well john76 posted from London, and the eBay seller would appear to be in the UK. The "Factor Lynch" name who the "painting" is attributed to is also the name of a design firm - http://factorlynch.com - whose site has zero information on it.

The factorlynch.com domain is owned by John Bowie in Bristol, GB, "(BANKSY'S HOME TURF)" according to the auction, and you know how artistic genius tends to accumulate in certain geographical areas. Oh wait, BANKSY isn't making shit art to hang over your couch, he's actualy making a statement. Never mind.

I don't want to compromise anyone's privacy as far as forum signup goes, but the email address he used might just have the name John Bowie in it as well.

I guess "Factor Lynch" is John Bowie's BANKSY-like alter-ego. Kind of like Underdog lady is a superhero.

You know, if you want to know who's spamming you.

Where do I know underdog lady from? Some movie? I know that I've seen her before.

She used to live in Baltimore and hang out around Atomic Books. I remember that they had streaming video of her. This was back in the early days of streaming video when it did not stream too much.... She was an odd lady. Anyone know if she is still living?

Bill

it's not an ugly painting though.
Well it depends on your definition of "painting." It looks to me like a stencil (though I'm not sure about that as far as Mr. Bowie is concerned).

Many of the Bukowski "paintings" you see on eBay are made with computer-scanned pictures made into stencils. That may be commercial art, but - to me - it's not a painting. A painting happens when someone looks at a blank canvas, hunk of wood, wall, whatever, and picks up a brush and makes something from nothing.

Look at something like Black Swan's recent painting/postcard and then look at some of this eBay stuff that looks like exactly like the photographs they are taken from.

I asked one of the more active sellers of this crap what his methods were, several emails back and forth and all he would say is "it is a painting."

Yeah, okay. So is the stickman on the crosswalk sign on the corner.

Many of the Bukowski "paintings" you see on eBay are made with computer-scanned pictures made into stencils.

True. Many of these are silly and simple fakes.
(Though, he claimed it's oil on canvas, which I believe is still hard to fake through computer-print, is it?)
I wouldn't buy it anyway and neither would I buy such a couch (ouch!).

I also see there's a point in the difference of real artistic craftmanship and computer-work or Warhol-silkscreens. Still I like some of them.

Oh, I know my point of view is not widely held. Carol and I argue about "what is art" all the time. I have to defer to her expertise, but around here, when she's not looking, I can casually flaunt my prejudices.

i like this one (even though it doesn't show Buk):

rejection.jpg

these are fine too:

sam.jpg

typer.jpg

(Though, he claimed it's oil on canvas, which I believe is still hard to fake through computer-print, is it?)

They now sell canvas that can be fed through a standard printer. It makes tomfoolery much, much easier. I suppose anything on canvas is art...

Bill'

They now sell canvas that can be fed through a standard printer. It makes tomfoolery much, much easier.

I know you can print on canvas, but all I've seen so far, clearly show they're printed.
Usually when someone really PAINTS, you can see and feel the color-application. (unless he uses a GREAT LOT of water (when painting in acryl) or linseed oil (when painting with oil) to dilute the paint.

Totally off topic (again) but for me art must use the marrow from the bone-it must require more than talent novelty or general acceptance-something has to be sacrificed dragged through the fire-once through, then perhaps a style emerges that always contains this sacrifice. For me this definition reveals why some can always be artistic others others one time wonders and others still mere characatures (of themselves or someone else).

Not a bad likeness, but it reminds me of Hans Solo stuck in that carbon block, with all those shattered crystal things around the head. My guess is that it is some sort of stenciling or tracing. That can be valid, as art, or not -- depends I think on the spirit in which it is done (god, that sounds like hooey). If it's just to make a quick easy image that looks exactly like the subject, and nothing is added, that's not much. But then there's the art of Henry Darger (check this guy out -- crazy lonely janitor who painted and wrote his whole life and showed/told no one -- sheer genuis), who didn't think he could draw (he could), so he traced his images, but his compositiona and use of color are wonderful, weird, amazing, highly imaginative, and so out there. Which this painting of Buk is not (apologies to the artist).

Only a guy named Hans would be so sensitive. In the U.S. we watched that movie without subtitles so we have no idea how they spelled anything. It's not like we read the book.;):D
So how many of you are going to buy the portrait of Dennis Hopper????
They sell a couch like that in Pier One Imports.

Only a guy named Hans would be so sensitive. In the U.S. we watched that movie without subtitles so we have no idea how they spelled anything. It's not like we read the book.;):D

Good one, Gérárd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was. Did I spell it "Hans"? I never was very good at being a nerd. My kids loved a Star Wars toy of Han frozen in carbonite. They called it "stuck in the mud."

What? You don't know Starwars inside out? What kind of nerd are you? - Never mind, don't answer that! :D

Ps.: We use the eyebrow key: `' `' `' ''''````;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back