Hello everyone... (1 Viewer)

Hi, my name is Achala. I'm 20 and I live in a really small town in the Deep South, so I read a lot in my free time. I just started reading But about a month ago, and he's quickly become my favorite poet. I was trying to find more stuff of his online and this was the best website for it so I thought I'd sign up and read about others perspectives/opinions on his work. From what I've seen, it looks like a young South Sudanese girl may be a bit of a minority in these forums, which made me a bit hesitant to join, but then I thought fuck it. I can enjoy Buk's work as much as anybody else, right?

Welcome.The inclination for many when they "get into" Bukowski is to deep dive and read as much of his stuff and one after the other. The Buk will keep coming. Take your time (or not). There's a lifetime of work to enjoy.

Welcome, Achala! I literally just signed up here, wrote my "introductory" post, and then found yours, which resonated with me quite a bit! I'm an "old man"-- or, at least, a good bit older than you are (44), but I also grew up in a very small town in the Deep South U.S.A. To be very blunt, for the most part, I hated it. I was quite the social/cultural/spiritual misfit there! (See my intro post for more on that.) It's so cool that you're here!! I'm glad that you decided, against your hesitancy, to join the forum. Isn't Bukowski great?!

Hi achala :) I relate a bit to your story. Feel like I’m in a minority here too, my grandparents come from a small island in Indonesia, my parents and I are born in a small country in west Europe. Felt as an outsider with ‘my own people’, becoming a loner as result. Thank god we have writers like Buk :)

It's a universal thing that goes beyond your native language: Everyone loves someone who can express something complicated in a very simple way.

Hi achala :) I relate a bit to your story. Feel like I’m in a minority here too, my grandparents come from a small island in Indonesia, my parents and I are born in a small country in west Europe. Felt as an outsider with ‘my own people’, becoming a loner as result. Thank god we have writers like Buk :)
Yes I definitely feel that. Being between two cultures is quite isolating. Not "enough" to fit in either race/culture. Glad you are here and enjoy Buk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back