Hello from Amber (1 Viewer)

Welcome back! How do you like the new curtains, the super plush carpeting and the imported solid wood paneling?
Looks like you went on a cruise- good for you.

Welcome back! How do you like the new curtains, the super plush carpeting and the imported solid wood paneling?
Looks like you went on a cruise- good for you.
Indeed. I married a widower who had been my friend for 42 years. He is a "traditional," 1920's-30's jazz buff. We've seen these wonderful musicians on cruises, also on land in NYC, New Orleans, Chicago and Los Angeles. They are the best at this kind of music, and fortunately some of the younger musicians are taking up this style of jazz.

Hi Amber,
it's good to see you back.

Indeed it is! You seem to be thriving, Amber, judging from the photo. That's great.
I like traditional jazz too, but not so much "Avantgarde" jazz.

Last edited by a moderator:
All jazz makes me happy! My husband's interest is strictly in the old timers like Bix Beiderbecke, Jack Teagarden.
Anyone see the movie, "Round Midnight?" I believe it was about Dexter Gordon, while he was in Paris. That's too modern for my husband:D!!

Round Midnight is excellent. Dexter Gordon starred in the movie, playing a character based on the life of Bud Powell and the Parisian who 'looked' after him, Francis Paudras. there's a bit of Lester Young in the main character as well. the real Francis Paudras has a couple of cameos in the movie. he's in the crowd scenes at the clubs. a young Jacky Terrasson also is in one of the crowd scenes as well, long before he became a well known name (at least in jazz circles).

all the music is played live, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock, Billy Higgins, Bobby Hutcherson, John McLaughlin, Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, Cedar Walton, and of course Dexter Gordon. many of whom have now passed.

great little movie. I second Amber's recommendation.

Thanks for all that info, hoochmonkey9. Now I need to look up Bud Powell and Francis Paudras! Sorry everyone for getting off topic here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back