Hello from Finland (1 Viewer)

Hello!

First of all, my English isn't as good as most of you have here, so I can't verbalize my thoughts as well as I would like to, but I'm trying my best.

I'm a 19-year-old male from Finland, and I think Charles Bukowski is one of the best or maybe even the best author there have ever been. I found Bukowski little over a year ago from a Finnish author, when Buk and "Women" were mentioned and little described in one of his books and I found it interesting.

So, I borrowed Women. And after read about half of it, I felt impressed. And thirsty. I have found something new. Something, which really makes sense with my own thoughts with it's sometimes little hided philosophy, and which is really entertaining at the same time.

Since then, beside of Women, I have read these Bukowski's books:

Post Office
Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness
South of No North
Hot Water Music
Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills
Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts
Factotum
Hollywood
Pulp
Ham on Rye (now reading this)

All those books are translated into Finnish. There are only some Buk's poems I have read in English. In the future I am going to seek and read more original Buk, in English.

So, there are some information about me. Once again, hello to you all.

Welcome, Tihtis you are on the right track now. You might find the the thirst you mention causing you to drink more red wine or beer as well.

You might find the the thirst you mention causing you to drink more red wine or beer as well.

Well, I have already noticed that.:D Actually I'm drinking beer right now (my summer-job ended today, I'll soon go to the bar with my friends), but I have to say that I'm more into white than red wine.

Welcome aboard, Tihtis! You have already read many Bukowski books, I see. There's also a lot of Bukowski readings on CD and DVD, and some interviews and documentaries on DVD too. You can find samples of them on Youtube. You can also find lots of interesting stuff here too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome; and your English is quite good. While translation always removes some of the meaning from a work, I think it might remove even more for a writer like Buk, who uses so many colloquialisms (everyday street speak, as it were). So, it's good that you're seeking out the English versions.

I've tried to read some Buk in French, but have not gotten very far.

You can find samples of them on Youtube. You can also find lots of interesting stuff here too!

Yeah, I have watched some Bukowski-videos from Youtube. Great stuff.

While translation always removes some of the meaning from a work, I think it might remove even more for a writer like Buk, who uses so many colloquialisms (everyday street speak, as it were).

That's very true.

Hello and welcome, Tihtis. I give you ten dollars if you tell me what Hangen Syliin means....

Hangen syliin means something like "to the arms of a snowdrift". Hard to translate.:D

hey Tihtis, welcome.

I don't think his prose-works necessarily need to get down the sink in translations. While his poems, even if well translated, usually are much better in the Original language.

Which book was it, that mentioned Buk?

Which book was it, that mentioned Buk?

It was one of the books of a Finnish author called Reijo Mäki. He writes mostly detective stories and obviously likes Bukowski's writing much.

In this book that I mentioned, the leader character get to know about Bukowski, when his friend, who owns a used-book store, recommends "Women" as a great book to read.

The leader character really finds it great, maybe because his life-style and relationships with women are quite the same that Chinaski's.;)

I've just found several books by this guy translated into German.

What would the title of that particular book be?
Maybe you can also give a brief synopsis?

Thanks baby!

I solved this from the website of Reijo Mäki's Finnish publisher, and found out that this particular book is this: http://www.amazon.de/Die-Strumpfbandnatter-Reijo-Mäki/dp/3930704048/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249501594&sr=1-5 - Die Strumpfbandnatter or "Sukkanauhakäärme" in Finnish.;)

And I try to translate the synopsis from the back of the book:

It's the hottest summer in this century. Revenge lives in Kakolanmäki (a prison in Finland). In spite of a beautiful wife of one customer, Vares (the main character, the private detective) can sense the stink of an old corpse. One life ends in Vartiovuori. Hot money and cool silk are rustling. And in the background, there creeps the sneaky garter-snake.

Maybe little cryptic, but there you go.

Welcome Tihtis ! :)

Hello!

First of all, my English isn't as good as most of you have here, so I can't verbalize my thoughts as well as I would like to, but I'm trying my best.
Ha ha, I perfectly see what you're meaning. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back