Hello (1 Viewer)

I was looking for some of the music Bukowski liked and got here, and I didn't register until now.. because I have a question, like I often do, about Bukowski. This time I am trying to remember a name of a poem and the only line I remember.. Is "I stopped looking for my drean girl, I only wanted to find a woman who wasn't a nightmare". Because it's from my memory alone, I might got the quote a bit wrong.. Anyway I am happy to be a part of this forum since even though i'm not an expert on all things Bukowski, he is my go to whenever I want to be shook to my core without having sex. And if anyone could find the name of the poem in question I will be greatful. I think it's from 'The Captain Is Out For Lunch....' Thanks for reading (assuming you did).

Ok so I have realised that although I posted my first (and only) post on the 'New Blood' thread, I failed to introduce myself properly.

I am a 23 y/o female, from Israel. I'm not a very political person so I stay clear from discussing any controversies regarding my country, either way I had no real choice in being born here and if I had it my way I would be nearly anywhere else in the world by now.

I have about eight Buk books, but I only read
about half of them so far.

Some of my other favorite modern writers that resamble Bukowski in some sort are Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest Hemingway, Paul Auster, Allen Ginsberg, Gil Scott Heron.
I also like other kinds of writes but I don't know if anyone wants to hear about any of that.

There are also a few good Israeli writers I like that remind me of Bukowski but I wouldn't compare any writer to another. They have pulbished english copies of their books if any of you people is interested I would gladly recommend.

I used to paint pretty well 4 years ago but it apeares as if I lost my talent for it.
When I was 18 i got drafted to the army, it's mandatory here so I had to go to training and shoot an M16. Then I was stationed in a base 2 hours away from my house in public transportation.
In that time I wrote a lot and painted a lot of personal ideas of mine and also some more disturbing and gruesome ideas, I would put the paintings on my work desk so that my supervisor would see and after 6 months I was dissmised. (Instead of serving 2 years, while it's 3 years for boys). After I was dissmised I was happy I got out. So happy I couldn't draw anymore, or write for that matter. And I feel like I kind of forced myself into a downward spiral so that I could be sad and do the things I like to do again, but it didn't work and I guess the reason for that is that you're not supposed to force agony upon yourself, at least not in a world that does it for you.
So what I have learned is that sometimes you need to let thing take their natural course and that there's no need to try and take control over everything all the time, because sadness and happiness were there long before you and will probably stay long after you're gone.

I started writing at the age of seven and since than stopped and started a few times. I have very little work in English and a little bit more in Hebrew (the language of 'the chosen ones') and I don't know if it's customary but if so I could translate some of my stories or poems to post here. I used to have a big collection of written material but it was all on my computer that crashed and died- I learnd my lesson and since then I only write in pen and paper. Ok let me know if I did this introduction thing well and if you have any questions or answers.

So what I have learned is that sometimes you need to let thing take their natural course and that there's no need to try and take control over everything all the time, because sadness and happiness were there long before you and will probably stay long after you're gone.
Or, in other words:

Don't-50.jpg

Welcome aboard.

I don't know if it's customary but if so I could translate some of my stories or poems to post here.
We don't do that. People post their other art, but writing doesn't work here. There are other forums better suited for that.

Fuck. That was great. Welcome!

Hi Eden. Welcome. I'm not here very often. I go through cycles where Buk goes off my radar for a while then I watch Born Into This or read one of his books and lurk about the site, usually with a specific question or answer, though I recently ventured into the anything goes section with a question/reminiscence about uniquely American dive bars. (Ha, I originally wrote "bards" and thought "C. Bukowski: dive bard", hehe) I've traveled quite a bit and never seen a "Lounge" like here in the states. Places dating back decades and look (and often smell) like it! Anyway, welcome. I agree, Israel is a hot potato, but I will say I found people pretty friendly and I enjoyed my visit there many years ago.

It's beautifully crazy how people in the states have the ability to go to spots and bars so old that some of the best musicians and authors of our days used to go to.

Like I bet there are places in Chicago that arre still open that Howlin wolf used to hang out in.. amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back