• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Help: Black Sparrow Press Softcovers of novels desperately sought (1 Viewer)

Hi, i'm new here.

First up, a big thanks to all here for adding to & maintaining what is an incredible resource for all things Hank. Have been immersed in this site for last couple of weeks & discovered some amazing stuff:).

Onto my request: have been a long-time fan of Hank's (started reading him about 10, 11 years ago) and been hooked ever since. My first encounter with his writing was Post Office, which was just an amazing experience. I was blown away & immediately picked up & devoured Factotum & Women.

Soon after i was exposed to his poetry, by chance, when visiting a friend who was away at University. One of his tutors (it was an advertising course, but she was pretty hip to good literature) had lent him Burning In Water & it was lying around his living room when i got there.

My interest piqued, though just the thought of poetry enough to usually make me run a mile, i picked it up & started reading...and was even more blown away than before (p.s. it's still my favourite of all his books).

On returning home, i bought that one, then Love Is A Dog From Hell, then ransacked the newly-opened Borders which had pretty much his entire ouevre in stock at all times. I had soon bought all his poetry and to this day it remains my favourite of all his writings.

To cut a long story short, and save you all some valuable time, i'll just say that the novels i first picked up are crappy Virgin paperbacks. For some reason, the Black Sparrow Press novels were not imported like the poetry was and - being obsessed with the poetry, and at least having copies of the novels - i never did follow up on chasing down the Black Sparrow Press printings (though i did manage to get hold of the BSP Hollywood softcover & once saw a Ham On Rye hardback in Borders but was reluctant to drop £25 on it at the time:eek:).

After experiencing the crappy quality of the Ecco posthumous collections & Pulp, now that i want lovely BSP versions of Post Office, Factotum, Women & Ham On Rye i'm struggling to get hold of any in the condition i'd like & when i have located them they are pretty pricey (even though i've checked around on abe etc).

Knowing the hordes some of you guys have on here ;), thought i'd put out a plea to any/all of you who may have surplus copies of the above & may be interested in selling for a reasonable price to add to my collection.

I own no rare/valuable Bukowskis at this time (though, after only a couple of weeks here, am presently scrambling my brain for schemes to make enough money to get hold of a nice, signed first edition or two...to no avail!) but would love to get BSP copies of those novels. Not concerned by time of printing, just the condition and the hallowed BSP quality.

Many thanks for taking the time to read, and look forward to contributing more now i've discovered this site.

Keep up the great work all,
Mark

Many thanks, Hank.

Have tried searching Abe recently but not managed to narrow search quite so successfully.

Whilst not trusting of a few of those sellers claiming to have "new" copies (believe some are selling Ecco printings under BSP guise - either by mistake or design) there are a few promising ones i seem to have missed when i searched.

Think that those links are going to provide me with the copies i want, so truly grateful.

My debit card is at the ready:cool:.

Again, thanks for the taking the time & effort to help a fellow Buk fanatic. Now i just need to find a grand or so to secure those copies of It Catches & Crucifix i so desire ;).

I knew this would start happening eventually. That people would reject the newer editions and start seeking out regular old 23rd printing, non-collector's item BSP copies. I just thought it would take a few more years. ;)

Whilst not trusting of a few of those sellers claiming to have "new" copies (believe some are selling Ecco printings under BSP guise - either by mistake or design)

That's right! It happens, either by mistake or design, as you correctly say. You can always send the seller an e-mail first, asking if it's a genuine BSP book he has.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this would start happening eventually. That people would reject the newer editions and start seeking out regular old 23rd printing, non-collector's item BSP copies. I just thought it would take a few more years.

------------------------------

**Absolutely, mjp. Right now, i couldn't care less about the time of printing, just want to get nice BSP copies whilst still available at reasonable prices...will get those first edition, fine, signed ones i now covet (thanks guys! and i've only been here a couple of weeks!) further down the line when i'm made of money;).

--

That's right! It happens, either by mistake or design, as you correctly say. You can always send the seller an e-mail first, asking if it's a genuine BSP book he has.

------------------------------

**Bukfan, have just sent a message to one of the sellers of Post Office to confirm it's a BSP copy they're selling.

Hope to have ordered a copy of each of the titles by the end of the weekend.

Again, thanks guys:cool:.

Just watch those 'book condition' terms. If its 'about fine' it's probably just about still in one piece :p

Just watch those 'book condition' terms. If its 'about fine' it's probably just about still in one piece

--------------------------------

Hank, this is what i'm worried about - and why i hoped some of you guys may have a copy spare...at least i knew that i could rely on your descriptions.

Checked the photo of copy of Factotum being sold by Spirit Dancer Books for £10.08 and though it confirms it's BSP copy, the creasing down the front edge of the cover makes me question their claim that's it's in fine condition.

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i can't expect more from a copy that's been around for a few years, but would like an unmarked copy if at all possible for a reasonable price.

Think i might spring for the £15 "fine" copy from Gregor Books...in your opinion, will that be in any better condition (frustratingly, only a stock photo for their copy)?

Think i might spring for the £15 "fine" copy from Gregor Books...in your opinion, will that be in any better condition (frustratingly, only a stock photo for their copy)?

Hard to tell if it is actually in better condition, but I can tell you with certainty that Gregor usually overprices everything.

Because a lot of the time you will win those auctions and get Ecco books as your reward.

I don't buy old BSP paperbacks on eBay anymore unless it's from a known seller, because many times I have specifically asked, "Is this the Black Sparrow edition?" and they say, "It sure is!" and Ecco shows up in the mailbox.

What do you do when you get it in the mailbox?

That would kinda grind my gears...as it is worthless; other than paper, a few pounds/bucks "” or, for reading, which is invaluable, if you haven't read it yet...

Pax

That's how I feel about my BSP edition paperbacks. I don't care if they're the first printing (nice but not necessary) or the 25th; it beats Ecco.

Thanks to all for the input, very much appreciated.

Have ordered Ham On Rye & Women, am awaiting email confirmation that a copy of Post Office is BSP before purchasing.

Factotum next up.

It's going to be beautiful to replace those Virgin paperbacks & add these to all the BSP poem anthologies on my bookshelf...just hope that the condition is as stated when they arrive.

Of course it's small potatoes compared to many/all your collections, but important to me all the same as i'm sure you'll understand.

Now to replacing those Ecco short story volumes...:D

Hey toosharp: The most important thing about any Bukowski collection is the writing. Having rare and/or signed editions is all well and good, but almost all of the writing in these more scarce editions is available in the common printings (there are a few less common items that have otherwise unpublished items (or variations thereof), and this is where I have tried to focus lately). I certainly see your point about BSP vs ecco, though. Enjoy the words!

The most important thing about any Bukowski collection is the writing. Having rare and/or signed editions is all well and good, but almost all of the writing in these more scarce editions is available in the common printings (there are a few less common items that have otherwise unpublished items (or variations thereof), and this is where I have tried to focus lately)

-----------------------

Couldn't agree more, Purple Stickpin; the words are what truly matters and i have pretty much them all to savour, save the (relatively) few that have not been collected in the BSP collections.

Discovering this site has been tremendous in that the works database allows me to figure out just what was collected in the non-BSP published works and, due to the kindness & generosity of the community here, has even allowed me to read some of those rare poems & also some uncollected ones in the manuscripts section.

Whilst i would love some rare/signed stuff, it's something for the future if at all.

As long as i have Buk's words at my disposal, and the more the better, i'm content:).

What do you do when you get it in the mailbox?
My sex life is none of your business!

---

toosharp, dude --- this button is your friend:

quote.gif

Use it.

Have now placed orders through Abe for BSP copies of all four novels i so desperately covet.

Due to weak sterling, has cost more to ship the books from US/Canada than the cost of the books themselves. Had to drop £100 total for them, but will be very happy if they all come through as "fine" as described.

Many thanks once again, guys.

Mark

what is the difference between the Black Sparrow and Ecco? everything i have is BSP, but i'm looking to pick up some different titles and i don't want to get shorted. thanks all.

While the content is the same, ecco has newer, glossier covers, no colored end-papers (or whatever thay are called) and cheaper paper. In short, the ecco versions look like an ordinary book. The BSP versions are like little jewels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back