Hi (1 Viewer)

Hi guys,
I'm Jason, i'm from Brighton UK, and i've just signed up to find out more about one of idols really, just finished reading locked in the arms of a crazy life, and preferred the Barry Miles bio, bit more in depth, the odd thing is i got into Bukowski by reading John Fante...Both are just fantastic though.
Anyway, hope to get to know a few of ya
take it easy

Welcome aboard, Jason! - Funny, most of us prefer Sounes' bio to Miles'.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the welcome matey.
i felt the sounes one was slightly rushed (read it in 2 days), the only thing that stood apart for me was the great selection of pics...but both are essential to any fan...differing opinions and insights are always good.
oh where is your thread quote from? my gut is ever expanding after all this cheap vino ha

Hi Voltaire,
although most people do not like the one bio by Neeli Cherkovski, I found it pleasant to read. I think that the information is not totally accurate, but somehow I liked the style. That's just me...
Welcome to the forum.

oh where is your thread quote from?

It's from the poem, "The Shoelace".

although most people do not like the one bio by Neeli Cherkowski, I found it pleasant to read.

I like it too, because you get to hear things about Buk from a person who knew him fairly well (same as with Richmond's book).
Not totally accurate? Which parts are inaccurate?

thanks for the welcome black swan...i'm definitely gonna check out the cherkowski bio...but thanks to this forum i found out about scarlet...so im trying to locate a copy, difficult, have to import urgh...i made the girlfriend read the fiend by buk, i think its changed her opinion of him haha, quite a visceral piece i must say though

Bukfan! I am not sure.
I thought that it had been discussed here. I guess that I need to do my homeworks.

It may well have been discussed here. I have a lousy memory sometimes.
It seems like all the Buk bios have some inaccuracies, so why should Neeli's be an exception.

thanks for the welcome black swan...i'm definitely gonna check out the cherkowski bio...but thanks to this forum i found out about scarlet...so im trying to locate a copy, difficult, have to import urgh...i made the girlfriend read the fiend by buk, i think its changed her opinion of him haha, quite a visceral piece i must say though

Hi,
You can get it from amazon.com. Otherwise, maybe a friend in Germany is selling copies? That would certainly be less expensive than buying it from the US.

Bill

Not totally accurate? Which parts are inaccurate?
I seem to remember, in his research-notes, he stated, that about the so called "lost years" nothing reliable can be said, as Hank himself wasn't sure he could get all the cities and times right. Then came Sounes and showed us what's in Bukowski's record as an employee, which filled a lot of these gaps.

That's not exactly 'inaccuracy' on the side of Neeli, but you get the drift.
Neeli is more anecdotal and from a (former) friend's point of view, while Sounes is more of a 'real' biographer.

[...] maybe a friend in Germany is selling copies? [...]
That would be me, I guess.
Yeah, I will sell them as soon as they arrive here. I'm still waiting for them.
Al hadn't found out the cheapest way to ship at first. Maybe he's forgotten since then. May need to give him a little reminder.

P.S.:
welcome Voltaire. I liked 'Candide'.

Thanks, Roni! Yes, Sounes is more of a real biographer than Neeli, and if I had to choose I would choose Sounes' bio, of course.
It is interesting though, to read Buk's friends' accounts, such as Neeli's and Richmond's, not to mention ex-girlfriends' accounts, like Amber's and Cupcake's.

Hey Voltaire, I'm from Brighton too... glad to find another on here although I guess the amount most of drink down here it is kinda inevitable that someone else likes Buk. I think I prefer the Sounes bio to either of the others but hey each to their own and what not! Anyway, welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back