Hi (1 Viewer)

jenny

Founding member
Hello,
wow...this is a great site/forum. Just joined and I have to say, I am not up to par, nearly as much as most of what i've read about you all...I have read a couple of Buk books....loved every one!! I'll have to get myself to the book store and get myself back into reading. I started reading Bukowski about 10 years ago...and then settled down to raise 4 kids. kinda sorry to say I lost touch with the Buk!
The posts I have read so far...you all seem like a great bunch of people and I'm happy to be here!
Any suggestions?
jenny:p

You'll probably get as many suggestions as there are books. ;)

But I think there's a "favorite Bukowski book" thread around here somewhere...

welcome aboard, Jenny!

don't feel threatened by our apparent knowledge! I also started reading B when I was 18 or 19 and then forgot him completely for about 7-8 years, and then HE came back to ME, or our roads met again or, I don't know, it just happened. That's the beauty of it. One day, all of a sudden, you find a B book in your hands and you feel like a 16 old year virgin about to enter a truly pleasant world.

You are sooooo right! Weird, I just started thinking alot about reading him again, thanks for your welcomes!!

cirerita said:
don't feel threatened by our apparent knowledge!
I was going to say something similar. There are definitely Bukowski geeks and obsessives here (who me?!), but most of the users are normal, rational people. ;) As the forum grows (it's not even a month old yet) I think we'll find more casual readers joining and speaking up.

that's amazing, not even a month old and so many threads and posts! Well I'm glad to be here. and thanks for your help.

Yeah, I expected to wait a long time for people to find it and activity to pick up, but thanks to the early, active posters, it came on strong from day one.

i want to read PULP
again
ill never forget reading it on the train from
boulder to vail
simple and fun
and of course
'hollywood'
jim christy's favorite

jenny said:
Any suggestions?
I think The Roominghouse Madrigals are excellent because they show Buk?s process of searching for his unique style. Those that follow are of the mature artist and (for me) he can do no wrong (in the poetic form). Pulp, Hollywood, and Post Office (in reverse order) are recommended. He finds humor everywhere, and this is his special genius.

Welcome,

SamDusky

reasonknot and samdusky,
Thank you for your suggestions...I did read Pulp and Hollywood...I would like to reread and also get a copy of post office and Roominghouse Madrigals...think I'll go check out e bay.
cirerita,
I have spent a couple of hours reading through the threads...so much information...It's amazing, you are all so knowledgable and I really enjoy reading from this site.

Pulp is one of Buk's best novels. He wrote it so close to death. I think the book as a whole symbolizes death itself. (lady death and the red sparrow enveloping him in a bright light) Hollywood is probably my least favorite of his novels just because it laggs in some parts and just didnt really keep me reading.

read post office, south of no north, and tales of ordinary madness (even though it's kind of hard to read and some of his earliest work) the roominghouse madrigals is really great as well. Factotum is really great as well. Basically all of his novels. ITS ALL GREAT!

Yes I'm reading Notes of a Dirty Old Man and it's very similar.
Most of his sentances are lacking capitol letters to begin them and grammatical and punctuation errors. I guess thats what makes his earlier work better. He just really didn't care to confine his writing to most formal literary standards.

That's one of the great things about being "the author"
You get to make up your own rules...
I remember one of my English teachers telling us that...as the author, you can write however you want...
I thought... then why all these grammar tests?! :)

thats the same with poetry, its so free.
you can do whatever you want with it. say you want one word per line, YOU CAN DO IT. writing is so free.
although I'm sure it took Bukowski a while to get established in the underground for say Open City to say, "okay this guy knows what he's talking about. so what if he doesnt capitolize the beginning of sentances!?"
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back