How do you think Buk's parents would have treated his daughter, Marina? (1 Viewer)

G

Garret

Does anyone here think that Buk's parents would have treated their grandaughter better than Buk if they lived long enough to know her?

My prediction:

Buk's mom: Yes

Buk's dad: Doubt it.

I believe there's a neighbor of Buk's father mentioned in one of the bio's. He said that Buk's father was a nice guy ashamed of his son being a drunk...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there's a neighbor of Buk's father mentioned in one of the bio's. He said that Buk's father was a nice guy ashamed of his son being a drunk...

I guess that there totally reputes Ham on Rye, huh?;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any accounts of Bukowski's parents, other than Bukowski's own?

The real MULLINAX, in that PLEASANTS book, is a good source for information about Buk's mom and dad. Also, HEINRICH FETT, in the same book. Yeah, yeah, we can't trust PLEASANTS.

I can't recall. may I ask you to post a couple of examples while I dig
up my copy? It would be appreciated, and I'd be grateful.

Okay.

On page 86, Baldy Mullinax calls Hank's old man a Bastard.
On page 87, he says that Hank's mother never really adjusted to life in America.
On page 87 and 88, Baldy talks about the dog his old man got rid of, saying:
"He was that kid of man."

So, there's all that.

This is an interesting question. I have wondered about this situation, too. And there are two ways that I judge the possibilities.

1) His Dad would have remained unchanged in his attitudes towards discipline. Spare the rod/Spoil the child etc... HOWEVER, he would have deferred to Hank's parental authority simply because of tradition. Or maybe I'm imagining a more noble Grandpa than there ever was.

2) His Dad breaks down and finally sees what a miracle children really are and changes his ways. He becomes the best grandpa ever and doesn't wind up a demon in his own son's poems.

But who knows ?.....

Right. And so, what if the old man would have been kindly, and his mother jealous, or
threatened in some other way? Hard to say.

Maybe I guess that the old man man have been neutral, and foreboding, and Hank's
mother rather matronly.

I venture to say that the old world of the grandparents mixing with the new world of
FrancEyE and Bukwould have been quite fascinating.

Larkin

HI,

A British Poet: Philip Larkin wrote a somewhat famous poem:

This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.​
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.​

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,​
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.​

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.​
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.​

Different?

i think they would've embraced marina but buk probably wouldnt let them have anything to do with her. maybe his mother, but definitely not hank sr.

I'd say the answer is "YES". From what I know and from reading into a bit of body language from Marina's general demeanour in Born Into I don't think that Bukowski had much of a father / daughter relationship happening

Bukowski loved his daughter and she loved him. That's quite a relationship right there. I have his BROADSIDE poem "LOVE POEM TO MARINA" and it's a beauty. It makes one cry.

Yeah, I don't see any evidence that Marina had a bad relationship with Bukowski. Linda would know how often they saw each other when she was an adult, but I know that for a while she lived right across the bridge in Long Beach, and I would assume they saw each other now and then.

I will say that at the Huntington ceremony/celebration thing, Marina, Frances and Linda seemed to be perfectly comfortable together. That's just a brief social engagement, but I did not sense any bad blood at all between any of them.

I never said father and daughter had a bad relationship or they didn't love each other :confused:. What I said was, that it appears to me that they didn't have such a strong relationship. They're 2 different things

I never said father and daughter had a bad relationship or they didn't love each other :confused:. What I said was, that it appears to me that they didn't have such a strong relationship. They're 2 different things

Love is strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back