humanity you sick motherfucker (1 Viewer)

Hello. i hope to be able to talk about his work with some/all of you. There is more to his work than booze and bs (not that ive anything against either of those), ive long been attracted by his core theme (as i read it): that most people are contemptible because they voluntarily abandon their unique desires and interests in order to conform, and that doing so they become both pitiable (in chasing other people's dreams they become bitter) and pitiless (having wasted their own lives they become ardent proponents of the status quo: if this ship's going down im taking you with me!). "A god of life instead of death..." So let's talk books and poems and life...cheers

cyberpsychostickfigurenomeds on crack. Hello welcome, conformity is the juice in this orange I press onto the squeezer.I drink it and love it but ultimitly it's in me and the nurisment it provides gives me energy to fuck it once and twice and all night. Basically, take what they give you and love it, twist it, drink it, and piss it out.--holla

cyberpsychostickfigurenomeds on crack. Hello welcome, conformity is the juice in this orange I press onto the squeezer.I drink it and love it but ultimitly it's in me and the nurisment it provides gives me energy to fuck it once and twice and all night.

You should put some of that energy into learning how to spell.

Hello. i hope to be able to talk about his work with some/all of you. There is more to his work than booze and bs (not that ive anything against either of those), ive long been attracted by his core theme (as i read it): that most people are contemptible because they voluntarily abandon their unique desires and interests in order to conform, and that doing so they become both pitiable (in chasing other people's dreams they become bitter) and pitiless (having wasted their own lives they become ardent proponents of the status quo: if this ship's going down im taking you with me!). "A god of life instead of death..." So let's talk books and poems and life...cheers

I think you expressed hanks "core theme" pretty good -
Its also the main theme of many other writers.
If you ask me, of all the good ones.

Its the most unpopular theme there is(you almost never see the definition of "normal" discussed -things are what they are,as if they were born with you and also will die with you ->what an egocentric stupidity), and its an depressing theme, so it needs real skill and humor to entertain you and still give you the (almost) whole message.

Cause one thing is for sure, most people having the choice will never do a depressing thing a second time, even if its the truth.
No endurance.

greetings.

Is this really what Bukowski's "core theme" is? I'm asking as I am new to his work.

I hadn't interpreted Chinaski as even being faced with such a dilemna of having to chose of voluntary abandonment of desires and interests for conformity sake. I interpreted him as being, perhaps, aware of conformity and yet incapable of conforming. Maybe not even acknowledging it in the first place.

It doesn't seem as much an indictment on those that conform as a testament of a man's core acceptance of his inner demons.

Maybe I'm wrong, as I stated, I'm new to all this. I guess that is the beauty of good literature- one interprets it through one's own lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back