Hunter S. Thompson (1 Viewer)

Hi folks...

I just want to say thanks for this site. Bukowski.net is beaut! I'm a huge Buk fan.

If any of you are interested, Hunter Thompson used to own this place in the '90s. Stop by, have a beer, rant... It's an old school joint...

http://hst.9pointzero.com/board.aspx

Really. Between this place and the Other, traffic will FLOW.

Keep up the great work...
Cheers!

I'm also a Hunter fan. Read a funny book about him a while back called "Hunter" by E. Jean Carroll...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that is a pretty good bio. Rumor has it Hunter actually wrote it with E. Jean doing the bio sections...

i've been dragging through the Steadman bio on HST, it's not so hot. or, it would be good, if it wasn't so strangely passive-agressive.

but the drawings are good, and the photos are interesting.

yes, I was gonna pick that up at the bookstore the other day but thought twice. I read an interview steadman gave to playboy and that sparked an interest in the artist. maybe though, he shouldve stuck to what he knows best, which is painting.

does anyone know if the Curse of Lono paperbacks are getting much circulation? i know there for a while that was a tough book to get a hold of.

I'd love to be a Hunter fan, too, but that board was so disorganized I didn't want to deal with it. I read Fear and Loathing when I was a junior in highschool and the book was so much funnier and easier to get through than the movie. I think I want to read The Rum Diaries. I read about it on wikipedia and it sounds interesting.

I would recommend Rum Diaries, it's my favorite by him as I'm not overly impressed with his more famous books though I do like them. Rum Diaries is more straight forward.

I like Hell's Angels a lot. And The Great Shark Hunt. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is on a different stratosphere).

exists in a higher caregory than "best" or favourite".

hoochmonkey9 said:
exists in a higher caregory thatn "best" or favourite".

holy crap, that's bad typing...that should read"exists in a higher category than 'best' or 'favourite'."
teaches me to type when sober. lesson learned.

i wanna see the "where the buffalo roam" film with bill murray. i heard its better than fear and loathing.

p.s. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RUM DIARY FILM. its supposedly already finished.

where the buffalo roam is quite good. I had low expectations going in and was plesantly surprised. conversly, i had high expectations for fear and loathing and was very, very dissapointed.

yes, it's a great book.

the funny thing is, my friend has a johnny depp bio called 'a modern rebel' and it was published in 2003 i think. AND IT CREDITS THE RUM DIARY TO HIS FILMOGRAPHY.

that doesnt make sense. then on the page it says 'pre-production'

I'd love to be a Hunter fan, too, but that board was so disorganized I didn't want to deal with it. I read Fear and Loathing when I was a junior in highschool and the book was so much funnier and easier to get through than the movie. I think I want to read The Rum Diaries. I read about it on wikipedia and it sounds interesting.

the bulletin board
is nothing more than a chat thread
that moves so slow you'd think
everyone is on quaaludes
(or has a life, for that matter)
right now some distraught female
is lamenting over the loss
of her dead/overdosed boyfriend

and , yes
'the rum diary'
was a good read

just finished reading
Hunter, by e. jean carroll
i recommend this biography
an ammusing account of
the life and times of hst

i can't help but suspect
that the doctor himself
wrote parts of this book

*warning: reading this book
may induce cravings for controlled substances

Yes, Hunter by E. Jean Carroll is indeed a funny book. I have it myself. I've also got a "brick" of his letters called "Fear and Loathing in America". Interesting to read other peoples letters...:D

hell's angels

did the used bookstore rounds
this afternoon i picked up
hell's angels
a 1967 hardbound w/dust jacket
random house book club edition
in excellent condition
for only 17.00 usd!

:cool:

the proprietor of the store
proudly pointed out his original Bukowski painting
propped high on top of a bookshelf
behind the counter
it was about 16"x20" (possibly larger)
which i thought quite large for a Bukowski
pffft...what do i know

I have a first edition of Hell's Angels that was given to me as a gift about twenty years ago. I got Thompson to sign it at an appearance he did at a club in Long Beach. For a while it was a $3,000 book, but now I see signed copies turn up on ebay and typically bring somewhere between $500 and $700. The internet has really changed the perception of "rarity" in the book market.

I loved Hells angels,particularly when Mr Barger and co offered their services to the US army to conduct 'covert operations' in Vietnam.Exsqueeze me?Fucking green berets have difficulty performin' those!
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas is surreal.Have yet to get around to Rum Diaries..........too many books out there,not enough time.

i'm 4 chapters into hells angels

finished fear and loathing in las vegas
a GREAT book.... hilarious
laughed alot while reading it

mercury: speaking of funny....'exsqueeze me'........lol

I'm reading 'kingdom of fear'. It's very funny but also insightful, despite HST obvious political leanings he does manage to portray both sides of many situations.
The chapter 'Jack Nicholsons Birthday' is one of the funniest stories I've ever read, the book is worth it for this chapter alone.

I'm awaiting a copy of some interviews HST did with the BBC, my friend assures me they are quite insane (would we expect anything less)

Rum Diary is very good indeed. Started Reading Thompson's stuff when I was a Sophomore in high school. Had a teacher who fancied himself "cool"...let him have a look at "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". He gave me the book back said the guy "was sick" and wanted the thing off school property.

Hahahahaha!!!

I've got a brick of a book with Hunter's letters. It's called Fear and Loathing in America. I have'nt read it yet. Has anyone here read it? If so, I would like to hear your opinion of it...

where the buffalo roam is quite good. I had low expectations going in and was plesantly surprised. conversly, i had high expectations for fear and loathing and was very, very dissapointed.

Yeah, I was also very disappointed with Fear and Loathing. I know Depp was his buddy and all, but he was miscast. I always thought James Carville would have made the Doctor real. Too much messing around with the "trippy" sequences, should have really stuck to the more vicious aspects of the book.

I've got a brick of a book with Hunter's letters. It's called Fear and Loathing in America. I have'nt read it yet. Has anyone here read it? If so, I would like to hear your opinion of it...

Indeed a brick and a good, entertaining, and insightful one. It is the second of his "F&L Letters". Better to start with "Proud Highway" if you are into the chronological order of things. Starts early and ends where "F&L in America" begins. A third installment of letters was supposed to be released this spring but for unknown (anyone?) reasons was pushed back an entire year. The horror, the horror.

"F&L in America" has incredible letters that are from the meat of HST's prolific writing period and political involvement. Fascinating and hysterical. He writes to people that you wouldn't imagine correspondence being possible. Beautiful and wonderfully edited.

Enjoy the brick.

Thanks a lot, hobart! From your description the brick sounds like a great read. I bought it cheap on a book sale but I never got around to reading it. The only other Hunter books I've read so far are Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the one about Hell's Angels. I've also got a funny book about Hunter by E. Jean Carroll...

Bukfan-
You are very welcome.
The next set of letters is due to be released in March or April of 2008. It will be called The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop 1977-2005
There is a new bio by Corey Seymour, who I believe writes for Rolling Stone, called Gonzo coming out in October of this year if it doesn't get pushed back AGAIN. I think Jann Werner of RS fame is the publisher.
The Rum Diary as someone typed in this thread is supposed to be the next thing on Johnny Depp's docket after the final Pirates movie is completely done. That comes out on Friday so hopefully we will get Rum soon-ish. We shall see ...

I was wondering if I could recieve a little advice on the world of hunter s. since i'm new to it.

I read "rum diary" a few months ago as my first introduction to his world. I absolutley loved it. Now I realize this is an oddball in the the hunter s. thompson cannon. Is there anymore "fiction" that he wrote and published that I could get my hands on?

I am currently about half way through "hell's angels" and I think it's very very good. Where should by next move/book in Hunter land be?

Rum Diary is an odd intro to HST, since he wrote it when he was young(er) and it went unpublished for some time.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is what he is most known for, and it is an amazing book. Hells Angels, The Great Shark Hunt, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, The Curse of Lono...they are all different so it's hard to say. Later books are more collections of articles than anything else.

It's all good if you like him and buy into the whole HST persona/vibe. He was an original, no doubt about that.

Supposedly there are some other works to be run out. I came upon Rum Diary fairly late on, don't know when it was originally published. Written some time in the late fifties early sixties mebbe?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a favorite of many. Lot's of the old Rolling Stone articles were quite, quite good as well. Don't know if they are put up as a collection anywhere.

One of the later bits was a Fear and Loathing in Elko, (I believe that was the title) and it involved drugs, high speed automobile manuevers and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

-enjoy

You are right. I just do not see how a movie about the "Rum Diary" would be that great. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" will be a tough act to follow.

The Curse of Lono is a rare title, you probably will not find a cheap copy unless someone is selling it without realizing what they have.

i just finished hell's angels
informative but by no means
fine writing as fear and loathing in las vegas
and i think rum diary is a fine story for film

i saw where the buffalo roam a couple of days ago
bill murray played HST so well
some hilarious shit
but the end of the film was ....blah
like they ran out of time or money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back