Hunter S. Thompson (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I thought that Carville resembles HST in a manner. Picture him with a pair of yellow tinted Ray-Ban aviators and a cigarette holder. Plus, they were associates, if not outright confederates. On second thought though, Carville's bread and butter is his political consulting work, and it might not go down well with his clients to have him portrayed as a gun weilding drug fiend.

Well, if you want to get the "un"collectors version, one which won't be
a treasured part of your personal library.
Amazon has it for about 26 bucks H E R E

I read Hunter, then I read Hemingway to clear my head.
The Good Doctor had a unique voice which echoes long after
the bell has rung.

Whatever that means.

The limited edition can be bought on ABE for about $300, which makes me think that although the LIST price is $400 and that is what AMMO Book is trying to sell these for, that they are, in fact selling them for less. Dealers usually expect a 40% discount on purchases, so that would mean that they would, in theory, pay $240 for this book, so maybe they are just trying to turn a small profit on the book, but something makes me think that they are buying them for much less. This is the first release from AMMO Books and for 3000 copies at $400 each, would give them $1.2M in sales. Most of the copies for sale are in the 2000 number range, so if they are actually sending them out in number order (who knows if they are) then they have sold a bunch....

Bill

The limited edition can be bought
[...]

I'd like to respond to this half a year late... When it was first announced, it WAS priced at $300, but... For some reason, a few months after it was released (right around September\October) it was bumped up $50-$100 to $400+. I bought a copy for a little under $300 (thank you employee discount!) and love it. Nice photo laid in the clamshell case, nice clamshell case, and a nice book.

Of course... Had I known they would drop a cheap copy of it later... I would probably have saved my money for something Bukowski or Fante related. Ah well, live and learn. It remains my first collectible book so I like it just the same.

From the Pitkin County Sheriff's Department Incident Report as widely picked up by the media:

Thompson died at his self-described "fortified compound" known as "Owl Farm" in Woody Creek, Colorado, at 5:42 p.m. on February 20, 2005, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Thompson's son (Juan), daughter-in-law (Jennifer Winkel Thompson) and grandson (Will Thompson) were visiting for the weekend at the time of his suicide. Will and Jennifer were in the adjacent room when they heard the gunshot. Mistaking the shot for the sound of a book falling, they continued with their activities for a few minutes before checking on him. Thompson was sitting at his typewriter with the word "counselor" written in the center of the page

Well there you go, I stand corrected. Am I crazy or did all the initial reports say he was home alone?

If you wanna watch "Where The Buffalo Roam" for free, here's the URL:

Code:
http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/where_the_buffalo_roam.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly there are some other works to be run out. I came upon Rum Diary fairly late on, don't know when it was originally published. Written some time in the late fifties early sixties mebbe?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a favorite of many. Lot's of the old Rolling Stone articles were quite, quite good as well. Don't know if they are put up as a collection anywhere.

One of the later bits was a Fear and Loathing in Elko, (I believe that was the title) and it involved drugs, high speed automobile manuevers and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

-enjoy

It was written very early but sat in the drawer for a time. It was published relatively recently. Haven't read it but someone who had said every character talked the same - a problem with characterisation. Is that the case?

Oh, mjp, said as much....

I have a signed copy of the letters. Not sure if it is vol. 1 or 2. Signed plate inset though... Hardly counts.

If you wanna watch "Where The Buffalo Roam" for free, here's the URL:

Code:
http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/where_the_buffalo_roam.php

I can't find the quote verbatim online, but Bill Murray in the hotel room bitching about the maid.

Did my drugs...ate. my. dinner.

:)

It seems like there are a lot of ties between HST and Buk on the surface.
HST the gonzo journalist, Buk the gonzo poet in a way.
Is there any documentation they read each other's work?

I can see the two of them up at that big horse track in the sky...

Welcome to the forum. It's funny how you wrote 'Hunter and Bukowski' instead of, 'Hunter and Charles' or 'Thompson and Bukowski'. I doubt they ever had any correspondence.

I bet you like to mix different flavors of ice cream together too.

Or even chocolate and peanut butter.

As far as correspondence... there's nothing in the first two books of HST's letters. And Thompson was incredibly anal about EVERYTHING related to his letters, reportedly.

Though the third volume (now about 2 years late) might have something... it runs from the late 70s through his death, so... maybe something will pop up in there. If there was anything, it seems like it would be in there.

Of course, Thompson ran with the beat crowd (loved Kerouac and even had help from Ginsburg in editing some of the pieces that became Hell's Angels) so... who knows.

Heinrich K. & Hunter S.

I have also wondered if Hunter and Bukowski ever exchanged dialog or had an opinion on each other, one way or another?

Bill McKeen, author of Outlaw Journalist: The Life And Times of Hunter S. Thompson (along with many HST articles, interviews, and I think another bio some time ago) is not aware of any contact between them.

He is looking into it for me, and I will post anything he finds/passes on. Virtually everything HST discussed in this thread and a shitload more is in aforementioned tome. Outlaw is worth the price of admission.

Pax,

homeless mind

Bill McKeen, author of Outlaw Journalist: The Life And Times of Hunter S. Thompson (along with many HST articles, interviews, and I think another bio some time ago) is not aware of any contact between them.

He is looking into it for me, and I will post anything he finds/passes on. Virtually everything HST discussed in this thread and a shitload more is in aforementioned tome. Outlaw is worth the price of admission.

The only problem I had with it is that the first two or three chapters (how ever far I got...) is that it rehashed the other two biographies that I read. I should probably have skipped ahead and tried to find something I hadn't read about yet, but... eh...

I guess if one reads more than one biography, redundancy is the norm (or should be). Going from A to Z in someone's life means attempting to cover all ground. If that material would have been left out, you may have considered it incomplete?

What I found fascinating were the facts about HST's life that I had never known - and there was a boatload of discovery -- for me.

Pax,

homeless mind

I've often thought about having this HST quote printed and framed:

Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits "” a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.

I guess if one reads more than one biography, redundancy is the norm (or should be). Going from A to Z in someone's life means attempting to cover all ground. If that material would have been left out, you may have considered it incomplete?

What I found fascinating were the facts about HST's life that I had never known - and there was a boatload of discovery -- for me.

Maybe I'll float back to it someday. We'll see. Certainly there is very little one can do to make one biography different from another (generally), but... I dunno, I guess I was expecting more. It was definitely better written than the other couple I read (and much better annotated at the back as well), but everything seemed the same.

I kinda wish I had found the new one first. The others, outside of a rogue chapter here or there, were a bit... dry.

Maybe I'll float back to it someday. We'll see. Certainly there is very little one can do to make one biography different from another (generally), but...

i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but check out "Hunter" by E Jean Carroll for and interesting, different bio. i enjoyed it very much...

i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but check out "Hunter" by E Jean Carroll for and interesting, different bio. i enjoyed it very much...

I enjoyed it too! It's also very funny. It starts out with a quote by Céline, "Nearly all the poor bastard's desires are punishable by jail." :D

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but has anyone seen the most recent doc on the good doctor called "Gonzo"? I watched it the other night and I think it does a good job with the Thompson lore. It even expands from other documentaries like "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride" to include more of Hunter's early years before Vegas and Campaign Trail. Also, I think it covers Hunter's involvement in the '72 campaign very well. Probably my favorite part is at the beginning when it includes Hunter's prophetic article written for ESPN about the post 9/11 world titled "Fear and Loathing in America." Hunter nailed it.

Check it out

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1250751&type=package

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but has anyone seen the most recent doc on the good doctor called "Gonzo"?

I saw it and thought it was very good. It also proved, once and for all, that Johnny Depp can read Thompson better than just about anyone.

It's the 20th of Feb today!

That's 4 years since Hunter escaped this crazy world. Seems fitting to dip back into one of my HST books and toast one of the greats!

RIP :cool:

Wow. That long. Cheers to HST. Time to crack a cold one. Another original/pioneer in the crazy world of scribing. Thanks for the reminder, Hidden. Damn. RIP, my gonzo bud.

Seriously...He actually said as much, I remember reading something about it when it happened...he said how life was dull & terrible, he'd been sick, & football season was over...I remember thinking, "My god, that's so true..." Hell of a good writer, the good Dr. I read his "Death of a Poet" the other day & just cackled...gut-laughing...man. I think I'm gonna read it again after work!

As crazy as it sounds, football season ending played a part in it. Sad, but true. Good point, Hosh. You're spot on. For real.

Damn. What a great voice. Fuck you Hunter. I miss you.

Pax

great interview from cbc.

chain smoking butts and drinking hard liquor on tv!
cool.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nx45bs88dA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back