I am a Poet Who Owes Bukowski a debt (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new collection is entitled IS SHE AVAILABLE? and includes the following poem entitled simply

LOVE IS AN ANGEL DISGUISED AS LUST

[Deleted. We don't do forum user's poetry here. - ed.]

That's a familiar title - I think Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith covered it a bit, you know... because the night belongs to lovers.

But, hello...:)

Last edited:
Having had the misfortune of reading that before deleting it, I'll just say that you really are not indebted to Bukowski. So don't worry about, you know, repaying that debt with your poetry or anything.

And for what it's worth, LOVE IS AN ANGEL DISGUISED AS LUST is not a simple title, so you should adjust your marketing message accordingly. Maybe say, "the following poem, unimaginatively entitled..." Something like that.

Well, drop your pants in public and you're bound to provoke opinions. The title is obviously taken from the famous Patti Smith lyric; it's homage not plagiarism. The poem is inspired by the lyric. Here's one I call LED ASTRAY that might prove worthier: [No. -ed.]

I agree. Poetry read over music is cheesy.
However, spoken word improvised live *with* music, is a different matter ;~)

I would argue that hearing the poem read aloud, and I've heard bukowski read in public on more than one occasion, brigns an immedicay to rhythm and breathing that makes the poetry viscerally accesible. Some poems work on the printed page; some work as performance or song and some work as both. Here's another stab at attention-seeking: [No again. -ed.]

Ok, I'll get my coat now. Have fun all you Bukowski fans; he would have had a field day here!

Oh I was just getting my coat; I haven't left quite yet.
I had a couple of questions, regarding this forum and especially the responses to a newbie from this thread. Is the admiration of Bukowski here solely to do with his persona? Is there really any attempt to connect with Bukowski's reclaiming of everyday language within a poetic context? I'm curious because I started this thread as a self-introduction and I posted a couple of peoms to give anindication of my feelings about Bukowski. Is that an inappropriate topic for this forum?

The problem with most people who turn up here, throw their peoms into the forum and expect an reaction or (worse) somebody to buy their shit, is that most of the time their peoms are incredible shitty, like really the green-puke-is-erupting-out-of-your-nose-category, while they themselves appear to be incredible whiney douchebags who neurotically bitch and wail and whine for a couple of posts unless they leave and/or are kicked out (more likely).

Furthermore the problem is, that we are here because we dig Bukowskis pomes, not some whiney douchebags peoms. So, admiration of the pomes and the persona of Bukowski, yes, also the attempt of everyday language within a poetic context, maybe, but no peotry from anyone else.

Some poems work on the printed page; some work as performance or song and some work as both.
You left out, "most don't work as anything."
Oh I was just getting my coat; I haven't left quite yet.
Ultimately that's not up to you.
I started this thread as a self-introduction and I posted a couple of peoms... Is that an inappropriate topic for this forum?
That's already been answered.

Ok, I'll get my coat now. Have fun all you Bukowski fans; he would have had a field day here!

don't blow your jets over those murgatroids, daddy-o - LEAD ASHTRAY was a gas!

Thank you! If I managed to entertain just one reader on this forum, the exercise has been worth it. There's an animation of a painting based on the poem here. [And yet again, no. -ed.] Thanks for your support. I think Charles would have smiled wryly at LED ASTRAY myself.
You left out, "most don't work as anything."
Really? Is that your honest opinion or just a fashionably snide remark?
Ultimately that's not up to you.
Ohhh . . . there's power here. I hadn't noticed. I better watch my step ;~)
That's already been answered.
Approximately

I think Charles would have smiled wryly at LED ASTRAY myself.
Right before he spit in your face.

Everything you post here pointing to your poetry or containing your poetry or variations on or adaptations of your poetry is "an inappropriate topic for this forum." We don't do that. It is not allowed, and this thread is yet another tired and dead example of why that rule is in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back