I finished the four Chinaski novels, now what other Bukowski should I get? (1 Viewer)

i guess PULP should be next on the reading list?

i am not familiar with the names of his short story collections. could you tell me other BUKOWSKI novels, short story collections, letter compilations etc. which i should read? i am not ready to read his poetry (i have PEOPLE LOOK LIKE FLOWERS AT LAST, which i havent read).

There's six novels:
  • Ham On Rye,
  • Factotum,
  • Post Office,
  • Women,
  • Hollywood,
  • Pulp.
Then there's short story collections:
  • The Most Beautiful Woman In Town,
  • Tales Of Ordinary Madness
    (both were first issued in one collection, but
    have since been split into those two titles),
  • South Of No North,
  • Hot Water Music.
There's also a collection of articles/stories in a book called 'Notes Of A Dirty Old Man'.

There's two books comprised of articles and short stories called Portions From A Wine-Stained Notebook, and, Absence Of The Hero.

There's a couple of books with both short stories and poems in them called Betting On The Muse, and, Septuagenarian Stew.

There's a diary-journal called 'The Captain Is Out To Lunch And The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship'.

I believe that's about it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey sorry, i have already read HOLLYWOOD. i forgot about that one.

thank you bukfan, thats a lot of reading to do. i dont know if i could afford all of those. i'm sure they're all worth the money.

i just placed an order for PULP today.

which of the short story collections should i order first? in the order that bukfan listed them?

I would recommend, "South Of No North", for starters, but they all contain good stories, so it's a matter of taste which short story collection to start with. You'll probably end up buying them all along the way, so the order is not that important.

Does Betting On The Muse and Septuagenarian Stew contain short stories that were published before?

None of the stories were published before in the other short story collections (as far as I recall), although some of them may have been published in various magazines. If you want to be quite sure, you should check it out in the data base, as mjp suggests.

"You'll probably end up buying them all along the way"

hahaha. so true. i am wondering why i shouldnt place an order for all of them. i mean, i enjoy reading bukowski's work more than any other writers (apart from irvine welsh)

• Ham On Rye
  • Factotum,
  • Post Office,
  • Women,
  • Hollywood
  • Pulp.
  • The Most Beautiful Woman In Town,
  • Tales Of Ordinary Madness
  • South Of No North,
  • Hot Water Music.
I have finished all of these. I have Notes of a Dirty Old Man to read next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back