I just saw this.... Fave B-movies/old horror flicks (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
So last night I watched starring Bela Lugosi. It's an old horror flick from 1941. It was good, I loved it! Got me thinking about how much I love old b-movies, especially the horror genre. I'm always looking for a good recommendation I haven't heard of, or seen before. So anyone got some recommendations that I can search around for to see?

Not as vintage as what you're perhaps looking for but Mexican b-horror films like The Witch's Mirror, The Curse of the Crying Woman, and Black Pit of Dr. M are little appreciated but worthy viewing. Dead of Night (1946) and Lugosi's Black Cat would I think fit the bill for what you're seeking.

Yeah, those Mexican horror films are little gems. I'm kind of partial to '50s atomic-radiation-creates-giant-mutant-bugs-in-the-desert movies. Some good ones...

Tarantula
THEM!
The Black Scorpion

There are some great films in this set.

and then there's the super low-budget horror flicks like...

The Brain that Wouldn't Die
Atom Age Vampire
King Dinosaur
They've Saved Hitler's Brain
The Wasp Woman

There are literally thousands of great (bad) movies to choose from.

And in the classic horror genre there's...

Bride of Frankenstein
The Old Dark House
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Ray
Eyes Without a Face
Black Friday
Freaks
Island of Lost Souls ARE WE NOT MEN?

and all of the Val Lewton produced RKO thrillers, especially...

The Seventh Victim
Cat People
Curse of the Cat People
I Walked with a Zombie

and finally, just about anything directed by Mario Bava.

blacksabbath3.jpg

Can you tell that I was a Famous Monsters of Filmland kid?

Man, chronic you rock! That list and those recommendations is exactly what I was looking for, I ordered the Ultimate Sci-Fi collection you listed. Can't wait! That pic you posted is freaky, scary to look at! I love it! Also saw I Walked with a Zombie earlier this year, loved it!

Glad to be of service. The still is from Bava's Black Sabbath which was responsible for many childhood nightmares, and not just mine. If you haven't seen it, well, you should... you really should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dario Argento is one of my favs. Its not quite as vintage as the above mentioned but still totally worth checking out if you haven't. My personal fav is...........
10q0569.jpg

The trailer to looks great! Man, with Bava and now this, I wonder. I was with a girl, born and raised in Italy(she came to america in her teens) for 10 years! A whole decade, all she ever did was talk about how great and superior Italian culture was to American art, culture etc! Never ONCE did she mention horror movies! Ha, no wonder why we broke up 5 years ago!

sleep away camp is a classic

Have not seen that one, but on VHS!

That human centipede? Wow, looks odd, but a little too new/saw-like for my tastes.

But speaking of new horror films, did anyone see imho that's the greatest scary movie of the decade! and still has one of the best lines ever: why are you doing this to us? ... Because you were home.

i wanna see that centipede movie...

some good 80s horror that comes to mind are:

happy birthday to me

my bloody valentine

april fool's day
[This video is unavailable.]

and my favorite of all, motel hell.

The trailer to looks great! Man, with Bava and now this, I wonder.

You didn't know Suspiria? I thought that, as a horror movie lover, you were familiar with Dario Argento, so I didn't recommend you any. That's my favourite one from him, with Phenomena. It's actually the first of a trilogy called The three mothers.

But speaking of new horror films, did anyone see imho that's the greatest scary movie of the decade! and still has one of the best lines ever: why are you doing this to us? ... Because you were home.
Oh yeah I saw it and it was indeed scary, the kind of which that make you becoming paranoiac! The blonde "stranger" is a famous current top model with a doll looking face; what an awkward choice for a first role. I tried to think to the said doll face to reassure myself but it didn't work.

Maybe you've already seen it but David Cronenberg's Shivers is a pretty repellent one.

Last edited by a moderator:
To tell you the truth, as much as I love horror movies and the genre, before this thread, I was COMPLETELY naive to the foriegn horror genre. I must say, after seeing a couple of Bava movies now, I'm addicted. My poor youth suckled me on 80's American horror movies, so outside of that, I'm still a babe in the woods!

I just watched which is the only of the four Psycho movies directed by Anthony Perkins. I've seen it before, years ago, but damn it sucked. Actually I enjoyed Psycho II, and IV was ok, but what a disaster part III was. Anyway, at Universal Studios Halloween Haunt 2008, it was the first time they ever let guests walk around, and on the steps, patio/sidewalk of the bates home and hotel, so that was a treat! I was looking at pics from when I was there, and it made me put on Psycho III, but yeah, not so good.

A boys best friend is his mother...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back