"I'm accused of many things / The most glamorous are true" (1 Viewer)

there's a girl asking me for a poem starting with:
"I'm accused of many things / The most glamorous are true"

according to her, it's supposed to be written in or before 1978.

Haven't found it yet.
Any of you Rainmen available for an info?

I don't find that - or anything like it around the words "accused" and "glamorous" - anywhere. In fact those two words come up very infrequently in the poems.

The second line doesn't sound like Bukowski anyway, does it?

It does sound like him, but more like a quote for the capture-line of an interview, than a line from a poem.
Or as if the girl didn't quote verbatim.
The attitude behind it reminds me a bit of his 'hot month'/'claws of paradies' - time in the mid-late 70s.

I had checked the usual sources to search for certain words in a work, of course, but to no success. So, IF it exists, it's not in these usual sources.

part of the riddle is solved.
That girl who asked me (a Canadian who's working on her thesis which is not about Bukowski but features his 'Apostrophe'-appearance) said, these lines come from Bukowski on 'Apostrophe' in 1978.

Here's her transcription of the part:

"...
Bukowski: "Aaah. I'm accused of many things / the most glamorous are true / the most [??...] are untrue. / Whatever I am / [??...] and through what they read / but I still direct / without cause - I direct without cause. / But whatever is happening I accept / but without the fathead / although one of my girlfriends said / when I become famous / Oh, no - wait - I blew a line / I said to my girlfriend when I become famous / what will happen / she said, don't worry about it, because you were always a fathead."
He ends his answer with a "That's it."
..."

The reason why she assumed, it could be from a poem is his remark "Oh, no - wait - I blew a line", which made her think, he was quoting from his mind.

I ain't sure about that, though. I think, he may as well have referred to the words of his girlfriend, when he suddenly realizes, he should say what he was telling to her first. I'd need to watch that part again to be sure.

So, what do you cats make of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like someone was a wee bit drunk.

But I think you're right. He wasn't one to quote his own poetry from memory.

It's so difficult to hear what he's saying under the translation on that Apostrophes recording. I don't think I ever made it all the way through without skipping forward to the end, which is the only part that doesn't put me to sleep.

I found listening to it with headphones and cranking the bass helped. I could hear pretty much everything but I haven't watched it in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back