I'm Lakshmi Singh (1 Viewer)

Rekrab

Usually wrong.
[Removed from another thread. -ed]
So this morning I woke up and went into the kitchen, turned on the radio and started making coffee. NPR was on and Steve Inskeep was interviewing an author who had written a book about ...
[snip]
mjp: we have something in common. MY mornings always start with NPR and Steve Inskeep talking to or about someone. I am disappointed, however, to learn how his name is actually spelled. I always thought he was saying "Steve Insky." And then there's that guy "Christian Foldingpencil." With names like "Insky" and "Foldingpencil", it doesn't matter what they say, especially before you've had coffee.

If you listen to KPCC it's even better. The have a local reporter named Shirley Jihad.

If my name was Jihad I think I would have been at the county clerk's office changing my name on September 12, 2001. But that's just me. "My name? Oh, it's Michael HOLY WAR ON THE INFIDELS, what's yours?"

Yes, I know that's not the literal translation, but James Ellroy told me that's exactly what it means and I believe everything he says.

We have Lakshmi Singh too, I think she's national.

Now that I look it up, it turns out it's Shirley Jahad, but when she says it, it's Jihad.

We also have the Hettie Lynne Hurtes, Adolfo Guzman-Lopez and Kitty Felde. KPCC seems to be the home of the interestingly named. Then there is the mundanely named Larry Mantle, who was the MC at the Huntington Bukowski shindig.

I don't know why I love saying Lakshmi, but I do...

Do you have Dave Mattingly? We knew him from when we lived in VA. It is always nice to hear someone that you know. I'm not sure, but I think that he is national...

Bill

I don't know why I love saying Lakshmi, but I do...
It's satisfying to say. She always says, "I'm Lakshmi Singh," which often makes me say out loud (to the radio and the dogs), "No, I'm Lakshmi Singh!"

Dave Mattingly doesn't ring a bell.

It's satisfying to say. She always says, "I'm Lakshmi Singh," which often makes me say out loud (to the radio and the dogs), "No, I'm Lakshmi Singh!"

I do that too, but as soon as I hear her ready to sigh off, I say, at the same time "I'm Lakshmi Singh." It is fun to do. Y'all gota try it.

Bill

That sounds like something that requires the timing and reflexes of a jaguar, or a gazelle...I'm not sure I'm up to it.

she's the goddess of wealth and prosperity, that's probably why you like to say it.
i rode an elephant in India named Lakshmi. i'll never forget that name, she almost crushed me between two other elephants.

I can see you guys listen with rapt attention and high seriousness to every word that comes out of the radio, just as I do. What they say is never as interesting as how they say it. That Steve Inskeep/Insky guy puts a weird emphasis on the end of his sentences making the most mundane things sound earthshattering. It's not just a silly announcer trick. It's way beyond that. It's like a bizarre personality disorder. And when he says "I'm Steve Inskeep" I always say "sure you are."

Dave Mattingly doesn't ring a bell.
I thought I was the only one who liked her name.
I love that lady and her name. No wonder so many people listen to N.P.R. and P.R.I. or it could be that there are no obnoxious commercials.

Apparently there is a cottage industry of strange people like us that love her name.

lakshmi_singh_hat-p148125654965804390q02g_400.jpg lakshmi_singh_tshirt-p235029299754051023trlf_400.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back