It Might Get Loud (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
"It Might Get Loud"

it-might-get-loud-jam-460-100-460-70.jpg

From IMDB: Rarely can a film penetrate the glamorous surface of rock legends. It Might Get Loud tells the personal stories, in their own words, of three generations of electric guitar virtuosos The Edge (U2), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), and Jack White (The White Stripes). It reveals how each developed his unique sound and style of playing favorite instruments, guitars both found and invented. Concentrating on the artists musical rebellion, traveling with him to influential locations, provoking rare discussion as to how and why he writes and plays, this film lets you witness intimate moments and hear new music from each artist. The movie revolves around a day when Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge first met and sat down together to share their stories, teach and play.

I cannot wait to see this. It will be showing in Los Angeles and New York starting tomorrow. Anyone seen it, or going to?

Except for the part about The Edge.

Seriously. I like U2 well enough (that is, sort of), but string together 26 digital delays and just about anyone could create a wall of sound. I'd never use the term virtuoso and "The Edge" in the same century.

And yes, Page looks funny with white hair. Of course, I look funny bald.

And who's Jack White?

Page still looks like he could kick both of those other clowns asses. Not that he was ever a tough guy.

Lat time I saw Led Zeppelin, in 1977, Page was tremendously drunk. He was hitting off a bottle of what I assume was vodka all night long. It sat there on top of one of his amps and I watched the level go down, down, down, throughout the 2 1/2 or 3 hours they played.

They ended the show and he stumbled back out after what was supposed to be their last encore and started playing black dog, all by himself (I know it was supposed to be the end of the set because I saw them play the night before in a neighboring city). He just stood out there for a minute or so, playing that riff, until the rest of the group came back out to finish it off with him.

It was fucking epic! Ha ha ha.

So, yeah, who is Jack White? He doesn't belong on the same stage. Not yet, anyway.

as far as 'recognizable sound' goes, I could tell Jimmy Page and The Edge from a riff or two. I couldn't tell Jack White from a couple of riffs.

that being said, I own 4 (?) White Stripe cds. and have seen them live. I like them fine.

the Edge might not be the best guitar player, and I haven't enjoyed a U2 album since the early '90s, but the man created a recognizable sound on the instrument no matter how it was created.

Jack White is a fine guitar player, but we all know he cribbed his style (and hasn't made it his own, yet) from the Chess catalogue. and guys.

but I will see the movie.

It sounds great! I don't really like U2 or The Edge's style, but it's always interesting to know the stories and stuff.

I'll wait for the movie to arrive here (Mexico), if it ever does, sniff...

Jack White is a fine guitar player, but we all know he cribbed his style (and hasn't made it his own, yet) from the Chess catalogue. and guys.

Funny; I've seen those damn tremelo knobs on nearly every Fender guitar amp I've owned (I'd estimate that I'm on my 4th by now). Never used them in front of people. Now I know why.

If Jack White is a proponent, neigh (sic), a descendent of this; well, back to the catacombs, brother. Seek another rebirth. Gonna go seek out some White Stripes recordings to see for sure.

---

OK; I took it upon myself to listen to four White Stripe recordings on youtube. My opinion is this:

Sure he can play his axe OK, but Paul McCartney, a 67 year-old BASSIST, could blow his doors off on guitar. So, we have a proclaimation of three supposed virtuousos, none of whom, In my worthless opinion, even approach the title of great.

Why am I even bothering to continue?

What am I missing here? Am I that bad of a guitar player? I think the Edge blows. As Purple said above, anyone could create that wall with all those effects. But Jack White not great? Man, I couldn't dream of making those sounds, or playing the way he does. Maybe I just have a big ole man crush on the guy or something...I think Jimmy is great, always have thought so and I would give my left nut to have seen that show mjp was at! But man, am I really that alone in thinking Jack White is brilliant?

I don't know if Jack White is brilliant, I wouldn't deny that he's at least very good, and I love this White Stripes by Michel Gondry. The song ain't bad either.

Well, let me say this:

1. I am nobody

2. I think Jimmy Page played some tasteful stuff, but I can nearly duplicate it. What does that tell you? I'm a scientist and part-time performing musician (leaning away from that, as it annoys the crap out of me at 45 years old);

3. Jack White plays a mean axe but doesn't do anything a decent third-year jazz student couldn't destroy, you know; if they actually wanted to.

4. The Edge relies way too much on digital effects to be proclaimed anything more than an adequate rhythm player. I'd love to hear him play an acoustic and maybe I'd change my mind.

Listen to Grant Green or Kenny Burrell if you want to hear someone who can really kick it. No surprise no one really has heard of them. Quality in music pretty much disappeared before I was born. Except for the Beatles. Playing was marginal, except for Paul, but the craft was there (don't get me wrong; John, George, and Ringo certainly had MAJOR contributions, and John had the majority of hits early on, and most of the the songs I love the most, but Paul was the true musician in that band). Oh, and Dylan's songwriting.

But it's hard to compare rock and jazz. Or anything else.

I don't know if Jack White is brilliant, I wouldn't deny that he's at least very good, and I love this White Stripes by Michel Gondry. The song ain't bad either.
Sure, if you get baked and watch this, it's probably entertaining. But, is there anything in there that suggests that Jack White is anything more than an average rhythm guitar player?

3. Jack White plays a mean axe but doesn't do anything a decent third-year jazz student couldn't destroy, you know; if they actually wanted to.

Yeah, see I'm just not a student of music I guess. I value all of your guys opinions on this, cause I know ya know what you're talking about. See, laugh as you will, "Blitzkrieg Bop" still challenges me! Ha, not really, but I couldn't play a decent solo to save my life. Man, that makes me think, they should have subsituted The Edge with my other hero JOHNNY RAMONE!

Scoured them mercilessly in Worcester, MA 1981-1985 while balancing how to eat and feed my need for good music. Managed to eat now and again. I've got nearly 500 LPs and they're stuffed in a console ne'er to be seen again.

Yeah, see I'm just not a student of music I guess. I value all of your guys opinions on this, cause I know ya know what you're talking about. See, laugh as you will, "Blitzkrieg Bop" still challenges me! Ha, not really, but I couldn't play a decent solo to save my life. Man, that makes me think, they should have subsituted The Edge with my other hero JOHNNY RAMONE!
It really doesn't matter what you like or dislike; you have every right to that. And, rock on. But I have a right to wonder about who ordains virtuousos, and then dredges out The Edge, Page and who again? I'm criticizing the choices, not your ability to choose. Like what you like; my opinion be damned.

But man, am I really that alone in thinking Jack White is brilliant?

No. Give me a choice between those three, and I'll choose Jack White everyday of the week.

as far as 'recognizable sound' goes, I could tell Jimmy Page and The Edge from a riff or two. I couldn't tell Jack White from a couple of riffs.

Really? I would have said that Jack White is every bit as distinctive as Jimmy Page. And they're both a thousand times more distinctive than The Edge.

And while I'm at it, does anyone else find it lame that a 48 year old dude still refers to himself as "The Edge"? Get real.

How big was the bottle? Pint, Fifth, Handle?
Fifth. And he drank most of it. What was left spilled onto the stage during Black Dog, when the bottle finally vibrated off his amp. If it hadn't fallen off, they might have kept playing for another 30 minutes. ;)

I think Jimmy Page played some tasteful stuff, but I can nearly duplicate it. What does that tell you?
There is a grand canyon of difference between creating and duplicating. I'm surprised you would try to use that as an argument. I can play most of Jimi Hendrix's songs on the guitar (approximately - ha). So what?

Which brings us to:

...they should have subsituted The Edge with my other hero JOHNNY RAMONE!
Johnny has been dead for five years, but even dead he is probably more interesting than "the edge."

Virtuosity never mattered to me. People appreciate music on a lot of levels; some emotional, some academic, some as background noise. Academic greatness has never impressed me, as it typically lacks any emotional resonance. How can it have any when the player is primarily concerned with technical perfection?

Anyway, one isn't better than the other. I would rather eat a cyanide pill than listen to just about any prog rock or jazz musician you can name play the guitar for an hour. Of course I would want to eat the same pill if I had to listen to Johnny Ramone for an hour too.

Jesus, who wants to listen to any guitar player for an hour?

No way in hell I'm watching this movie! Ha ha ha.

Gosh ! Jimmy Page indeed looks so weird with his white hair ! He reminds me of a conductor (hope it's the right word) ! :D

I'm surprised that some of you didn't know The White Stripes ! The duo exists since some time, now. But I agree that it's too early to call Jack White a "rock legend"...

Hate to bring up an old thread, but my dad, who hasn't been to my house in quite some time(probably had to do with my ex) came over today for some fish tacos and beer. We watched "It Might Get Loud" and he left 20 minutes ago. On his way out he said, "the Edge sucks dude!" I just thought that was too funny not to mention!

LOL! Thanks for sharing. There's nothing as heart warming in this life than the tender interactions of parents and their children. Remember, Honor thy Father and Mother, so the Edge does suck.

Not sure if you have seen this. Jimmy Page at age 13 is on the left. There is an interview with them between the two AWFUL songs.

Priceless..

[This video is unavailable.]

I love it when someone says I can do that but hasn't.
Audacity is an under appreciated talent.
My sister sings in an Elvis tribute band and I always make fun of her while she sings on a stage doing shat she enjoys and I go to work.
She is not orginal but audacious and for that like every other hack stupid enough to get paid playing songs that suck while critics criticise about selling out pushing pens and keyboards-they get a nod from me-good on you for not caring-which is what rock and roll was always about right?
P.S. Don't tell my sister

Somebody needs to tell that bass player that you're allowed to play notes on the E, A, and D strings too. Or maybe that was hip, although that's clearly a stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back