It's december again (1 Viewer)

Ike Turner - Good Musician - Bad Husband - Worse Human Being

Also note: Jerry Lee Lewis fucked his cousin, Johnny Paycheck stabbed someone, and Ringo pursued a solo career.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's have a big round of applause for number6horse! There he goes. What a trooper. You can catch his act this weekend at Manny's deli and video rental in the Catskills. Now it's time to say goodnight. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here...

He was rather an egomaniacal asshole, too. He became infamous for a quote, evil when taken out of context and incomprehensible when quoted in full, about Sept. 11 being a great work of Art.

Iannis Xenakis (May 29, 1922 - February 4, 2001)
Lou Silver Harrison (May 14, 1917 - February 2, 2003)
Gyärgy Ligeti (May 28, 1923 - June 12, 2006)
James Tenney (August 10, 1934 - August 24, 2006)
Karlheinz Stockhausen (August 22, 1928 - December 5, 2007)

Actually, the 21st Century has been very bad for 20th Century composers!

It's weird having CDs of their music with just a date of birth and a line...

1928 -

I suppose the reissues will address this.

Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gyärgy Ligeti (May 28, 1923 - June 12, 2006)

Now I'm really depressed. I didn't know Ligeti was gone. Somewhere I have a score of his Requiem. Amazing stuff.

So who's left from that era? Boulez, Penderecki...

I once heard Penerecki's Threnody and Ligeti's Atmospheres on the same program.

Now I'm really depressed. I didn't know Ligeti was gone. Somewhere I have a score of his Requiem. Amazing stuff.

So who's left from that era? Boulez, Penderecki...

I once heard Penerecki's Threnody and Ligeti's Atmospheres on the same program.

Yeah, they're dropping like flies. Of course the way the world works, dying will do wonders for their careers.
That sounds like an amazing concert, Composer. There are very, very few programs of modern music in Melbourne, so I end up buying a lot of CDs.
I would love to hear one of those works live... or some Xenakis, or Cage.
What we get is Mozart and Vivaldi... up the wazoo.

Who's left? Well lots. But I have been listening to a guy called Erki Sven-Tuur and I feel the future of music is in good hands. Then there's Part and Rautavaara. We're pretty lucky that guys still dedicate their lives to this endeavour. It can be less than rewarding.

roni... the date thing kind of reminds me of my own impending doom :)

It was a Saturday night in December. I was in my room and I drank much
more than usual, lighting cigarette after cigarette, thinking of girls and the
city and jobs, and of the years ahead. Looking ahead I liked very little of
what I saw. I wasn't a misanthrope and I wasn't a misogynist but I liked
being alone. It felt good to sit alone in a small space and smoke and drink.
I had always been good company for myself.

Ham on rye, page 275.

Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy and it sure is feeling good.

For some reason talk of avant garde music brings to mind this song.

He was rather an egomaniacal asshole, too. He became infamous for a quote, evil when taken out of context and incomprehensible when quoted in full, about Sept. 11 being a great work of Art.

Right, his statement seems to have been taken out of context. He meant it was Lucifer's greatest work of art. Here's what Wiki has to say about it:

Controversy

In a press conference in Hamburg on 16 September 2001, Stockhausen was asked by a journalist whether the characters in Licht were for him "merely some figures out of a common cultural history" or rather "material appearances". The composer replied, "I pray daily to Michael, but not to Lucifer. I have renounced him. But he is very much present, like in New York recently" (Stockhausen 2002, 76). The same journalist then asked how the events of September 11th had affected him, and how he viewed reports of the attack in connection with the harmony of humanity represented in Hymnen. He answered:

Well, what happened there is, of course"”now all of you must adjust your brains"”the biggest work of art there has ever been. The fact that spirits achieve with one act something which we in music could never dream of, that people practise ten years madly, fanatically for a concert. And then die. [Hesitantly.] And that is the greatest work of art that exists for the whole Cosmos. Just imagine what happened there. There are people who are so concentrated on this single performance, and then five thousand people are driven to Resurrection. In one moment. I couldn't do that. Compared to that, we are nothing, as composers. [...] It is a crime, you know of course, because the people did not agree to it. They did not come to the "concert". That is obvious. And nobody had told them: "You could be killed in the process." (Stockhausen 2002, 76-77.)

(To see how the excerpt appeared out of its context, and in English translation, see Tommasini 2001.)

As a result of the reaction to the press report of Stockhausen's comments, a four-day festival of his work in Hamburg was canceled. In addition, his pianist daughter announced to the press that she would no longer appear under the name "Stockhausen" (Lentricchia and McAuliffe 2003, 7).

In a subsequent message, he stated that the press had published "false, defamatory reports" about his comments, and clarified as follows:

At the press conference in Hamburg, I was asked if Michael, Eve and Lucifer were historical figures of the past and I answered that they exist now, for example Lucifer in New York. In my work, I have defined Lucifer as the cosmic spirit of rebellion, of anarchy. He uses his high degree of intelligence to destroy creation. He does not know love. After further questions about the events in America, I said that such a plan appeared to be Lucifer's greatest work of art. Of course I used the designation "work of art" to mean the work of destruction personified in Lucifer. In the context of my other comments this was unequivocal. (Stockhausen 2001a)

Influential photographer Larry Sultan dies

dad on bed.jpg
Dad on Bed, 1985 Larry Sultan

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/15/MN5N1B43DH.DTL

Can't wait for December to be over and done with already. It's the worst time of year for suicides and this is no surprise, what with all the Xmas BS being rammed down your neck everywhere you go :eek:

Yes - I saw a spinbowler post recently while reading some old threads. May he rest in peace.

And with Chesnutt, what can you say ? He finally made his escape, I guess. There had been previous attempts, but the Kristen Hersch comment tonight was "this time, he left a note." Seems I recall talk of his previous attempts being just for the sake of getting treatment. If a person doesn't have insurance, they can fake a suicide attempt and a judge will order them to receive mental health treatment (free). I could be way off-base here. And gosh, how could internet chatter lead to that ? But R.I.P. to Chesnutt too.

Maybe I'm just a cynical and untrusting old fart, but I never bought the Spinbowler suicide story. I've seen that kind of behavior online before (where it turned out the person in question was just playing some kind of sick game) and it stank heavily of bullshit to me. Why would his brother who, if it were true, would probably have some serious issues to deal with, come to a public forum where his brother posted maybe 50 times to announce his suicide a few days later?

The whole thing just struck me as extremely suspect. If I died, the last thing I would expect is for a friend or family member to come here and announce it, unless it were another forum member who somehow found out about it.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I don't believe it.

Well, you make a good point. Situations like that could very well be troll hoaxes, but I took it at face-value. Who knows ? Maybe, when you lose someone unexpectedly, you want to cover ALL the bases and put the word out.

EDIT: Then again, if it were a hoax, and the hoaxer saw the genuine reaction of sympathy/grief for spinbowler in that thread, how could they resist stringing it out and "revealing" details of his death and digging for more drama ? Hmmm.... I dunno...

I don't know either. It just strikes me as very fishy. On the bright side, if I'm right, the dude is still alive somewhere.

Never mind me, I've got a nasty case of the flu right now... I'll probably read this thread in a few days and think myself an asshole for even bringing it up.

Nah - you'll get better because your posts aren't infected, just your sinuses.

A speedy recovery to you !

I read his post the other day and now I have a plague strength cold.

If spin bowler were a troll and faked that then the fake brother would still be here raising havoc. So his real brother went out of his to find what he was writing and found us. I thought of that before this chronic cold I have rots my brain.

It's not of so much importance and I ain't sure if I was destroying the 'December'-thread by bringing spinbowler up.

From what I remember, he posted his 'only' 50-something posts in a very short time (and maybe didn't have time left for more). At least it seemed to me, he was really interested.

And IF the story, as it appeared here, actually IS true, the picture fits together: why should he not have told his brother (who seemed to be in regular contact with him) about the community he's found here and how much it meant to him? Sure he would. So his brother would know about his struggles the last weeks of his life and what he was feeling.

But then - it doesn't really matter, if this particular case was a real one, just as it doesn't matter when an author makes up a case like that in literature. What matters is, that there ARE cases like that and that life IS that way. The tragedy is there, no matter if this one thing was true or not.

... and maybe that's what makes it belong to the 'December'-thread.

I don't know, I probably shouldn't even weigh in on this, but the whole traveling through the bush for a few days seems suspicious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back