Jerzy N. Kosinski (1 Viewer)

I got his book.
Who is this guy? I just noticed he had the same first name as my dad. HAH.
And I also think that Buk mentioned him somewhere in Betting on the Muse?
Is this Koskinski guy a relevant influence on Buk?

I really enjoyed reading the Painted Bird, by Jerzy Kosinski

then I got "Steps", read about 20 pages and totally disliked the style as if
it was written by someone else.

Had also wondered if Bukowski had ever mentionned him anywhere, and what he thought.

well, there is the whole plagiarism thing about him. anybody buy into it? i once read half of The Painted Bird and liked it. he seemed like an interesting guy, what with killing himself by taping a bag over his head and all...

I read "Being There" years ago. Good story about a simple (simple-minded ?) man who is regarded by everyone else as being deep and profound. Through a series of chance encounters (the character's name is also Chance), he winds up being an advisor to the President. Funny allegory about how people are starved for wisdom and will project upon others what they want to see in people. The film version, with Peter Sellars, is just as good.

Being There was a very good book and an even better film. That scene when Chance leaves the mansion for the first time in his life and walks the streets of DC to the strains of Deodato's version of "Thus Spake Zarathustra" is excellent.

The Painted Bird is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. Highly recommended. And I partially agree with Black Swan about Steps. Not as good, but not too bad.

I also own Blind Date and Passion Play, which I picked up in hard copy at a used book store on the cheap, but I've yet to read them.

And James mentioned the whole plagarism thing, which I've heard about, but I really don't know much about that.

Being There was a very good book and an even better film. That scene when Chance leaves the mansion for the first time in his life and walks the streets of DC to the strains of Deodato's version of "Thus Spake Zarathustra" is excellent.

The Painted Bird is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. Highly recommended. And I partially agree with Black Swan about Steps. Not as good, but not too bad.

I also own Blind Date and Passion Play, which I picked up in hard copy at a used book store on the cheap, but I've yet to read them.

And James mentioned the whole plagarism thing, which I've heard about, but I really don't know much about that.

Agree very much with you on Being There and the Painted Bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back