John William Corrington (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
Jesus. Did you know, how John William Corrington went on after his fall-out with Bukowski?

--> http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/lpop/etext/lsf/elkins26-2.htm

" During his early years as a poet, Corrington discovered the work of Charles Bukowski, whose poetry he admired, and they carried on an extensive correspondence spanning much of the 1960s. Bukowski, always a difficult man, and no more so than with his friends, eventually fell-out with Corrington and they went their separate ways."

--> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0181019/

Do I get it right? John William Corrington wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend and, more important, Battle for the Planet of the Apes "(aka Colonization of the Planet of the Apes)" ??

I don't exactly know why and know I shouldn't, but somehow I find this hilariously funny :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I get it right? John William Corrington wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend and, more important, Battle for the Planet of the Apes "(aka Colonization of the Planet of the Apes)" ??

I don't exactly know why and know I shouldn't, but somehow I find this hilariously funny :D

Great links. My grandmother was a big fan of the soap operas in the 60s and 70s. There's plenty of hilariosly funny in that IMDB link, thanks.

Amazing. I thought Corrington was long dead, and I never heard of his writing screenplays. Are you sure this is the same Corrington that was the academic poet Bukowski knew?

I thought Corrington was long dead ...

the imdb gives 24 November 1988 as his date of death.
they only name a few productions that have been made after that date, maybe he wrote the screenplays long before.

the given date for birth is 28 October 1932.
so, it's perfectly possible, that it's THE Corrington.

And he wrote the screenplay for Martin Scorsese's movie "Boxcar Bertha"! Who would ever have thunk...

I kind of thought he was long gone. That seems odd, for films to be made from scripts that old. Does anyone know if that sort of thing happens? Any Hollywood insiders in this Forum?

Well I guess I am kinda a Film type, not Hollywood per say, but I do work on those Hollywood Films as a Sound Editor.

I don't think it's that uncommon to rewrite a screenplay from an old screenplay. Maybe he wrote this and for whatever reason it got shelved and then someone picked it up and thought "Hey Let's bring it up to date, put Will Smith in it. And hey we got a movie". It doesn't look like there was another version of the film. And IMDb is sorta the Bible of works and film resumes these days. As far as who did what on what film.

Hollywood loves to Save money and remakes, sequels and rewrites are an easy way to do it. Hollywood loves to save money period and squeeze whatever they can out of the people who work on them. It's all about the profit margin.
I am gonna guess that a screenplay of an already published work might be a bit cheaper then an original work. Don't quote me on that, I mean I am only Sound Editor.
But in my limited experience with the Hollywood scene, some crazy things
happen. Makes no sense most times.
That is why I am a Sound Editor, I get to work on films but don't have get stuck in the politics of films, well most of the time.

Anyway to answer your question best I can, I don't think that it is that uncommon.

:)

I don't think it's that uncommon to rewrite a screenplay from an old screenplay. Maybe he wrote this and for whatever reason it got shelved and then someone picked it up and thought "Hey Let's bring it up to date, put Will Smith in it. And hey we got a movie". It doesn't look like there was another version of the film.

It's from a book by Richard Matheson and there are three (that I know of) different film versions. The first was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price, the second was The Omega Man with Charleton Heston and the last was the recent Will Smith version. No idea if Corrington's script was used for any of them

Well there you have it. I guess there were other versions of the story.
thanks for that. I didn't realize that these were based on the same story.
:)

corrington wrote the screenplay for "boxcar bertha"? ahhh!! i had read the book last year(great great book) and saw that scorsese made it into a film and decided to watch it...well, as a film it was ok. and of course you're gonna say that a film is never true to the original novel, but...it's like making a movie of ham on rye; the character grows up in los angeles, has a rough childhood, etc....then flies around on a jet selling tupperware, smoking pot in gas station bathrooms, eating rice from bamboo shoots whenever he gets the chance. no correlation whatsoever.....highly recommend the book though. if anyone has read jack black's "you can't win", it's published by the same people and is similiar in content...

Omega Man/Corrington

An extra on the DVD I have has an interview with Corrington's wife discussing the screenplay- so I take it that he and I believe she wrote it.

Strangegirl, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense -- they are saving money, recycling old scripts. I'd guess you understand Hollywood better than most people around here.

As a sound person, you have to watch an old film called "The Conversation." It's about a guy who does surveillance using sound recordings, in the 1960s -- amazing sound in that film.

As a sound person, you have to watch an old film called "The Conversation." It's about a guy who does surveillance using sound recordings, in the 1960s -- amazing sound in that film.
Or Diva, about a kid who sneaks a Nagra into a concert to bootleg a famous opera singer who refuses to do any recordings. In the 80's it was revolutionary in its look and story, now it's probably about as dated as Liquid Sky, but still interesting for a sound geek.

I don't think John William Corrington was involved in, or saw, either or those.

or read the book 'Diva', the novel on which the movie is based, by Delacorta (aka Daniel Odier).

or even better: his book that's the prequel to 'Diva':
'Nana'. - a beautiful novel!

(though this one has nothing to do with bootlegging nor with Corrington anymore. sorry for offtop.)

Strangegirl, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense -- they are saving money, recycling old scripts. I'd guess you understand Hollywood better than most people around here.

You are most welcome.
I have seen and heard "The Conversation", and you are correct great sound film.
I got to work with Walter Murch last year who was the Picture Editor and Sound Editor on that film. I was working on a film called "Youth without Youth".
I felt privileged to get the opportunity to work him.:)

Or Diva, about a kid who sneaks a Nagra into a concert to bootleg a famous opera singer who refuses to do any recordings. In the 80's it was revolutionary in its look and story

Shit, I know that from somewhere. Is it possible? I think I saw it on tv once. Waaah, childhood memories.

corrington wrote the screenplay for "boxcar bertha"? ahhh!! i had read the book last year(great great book) and saw that scorsese made it into a film and decided to watch it...well, as a film it was ok. and of course you're gonna say that a film is never true to the original novel, but...it's like making a movie of ham on rye; the character grows up in los angeles, has a rough childhood, etc....then flies around on a jet selling tupperware, smoking pot in gas station bathrooms, eating rice from bamboo shoots whenever he gets the chance. no correlation whatsoever.....highly recommend the book though. if anyone has read jack black's "you can't win", it's published by the same people and is similiar in content...

I second that. Jack Black's "You can't win" is an amazing book. It got Burroughs turned on to writing and is really gripping stuff. I wonder how much of it is actually true but see if you can get a copy. You won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back