Journey to the End of the Night (1 Viewer)

Likewise.
The negativity lacks humor and it just seems so bitter now.
I admit to skipping whole sections in the search for my original liking for this book.

I flipped through the book at the library. A lot of stuff about the army I remember. It did'nt catch on with me, but I'll read it one day just to see what all the fuzz is about and perhaps find out why Buk liked it so much...

Last edited by a moderator:
it's my favorite book... i disagree that the negativity is without humor. that's a matter of taste, though, i guess. there's just so much going on in that book, and you can dissect it from so many different levels beyond just the general misanthropy. i've sat for hours debating with myself about what the end of the night actually is, and if it offers catharsis or just more pain and suffering. man... i know this is the buk forum, so I shouldn't babble on about celine, but after reading journey around once a year for the past 7 years, i just can't get enough of it.

plus, you have to give ceilne credit for really being the first person in France to publish a book with language like that.

I think Buk liked it so much because Celine was so pissed off and bitter about everything. I think he could relate to him, very much so.

there's also the language, the spoken word, as celine put it, "...to reproduce the effect of spontaneous spoken life on the page..." it corresponds, does it not?

I just translated it from Dutch into English. Dood op krediet.

Read the first line of the novel and you're hooked or you throw away the book like Buk once did with a poem of Neeli...

Ok, Ok. I'll make you an offer you can't resist!

Here we are, alone again.

(Hopefully this will help to sell more copies!)

death on credit is closer to the french "mort a credit". death on the installment plan is a more poetic translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back