Kurt Cobain was a fan of Bukowski (1 Viewer)

G

Garret

I've been re-reading Cobain's "Journals" (which I bought years before I became a Buk fan) and found this passage on pages 86 and 88 in a William S. Burroughs style story called "Critic goes God":

"The first thing i did was burn all my Charles Bukowski books. I got the tinfoil out and spread it on the floor. Ripped the filthy innards of plankton literature into small pieces, and struck a match. I turned out the lights and watched the flames along with some home Super 8 movies I had made while under the influence of this life I've decided to change...

All this wonderully important deep thought hindered me from realizing that the entire house was filled with smoke from the Charles Bukowski books, and a very nice sized flame had spread to the curtains, which alarmed me. I had only a few minutes to get out of the house, so much for God."

Well, apparently Cobain thought King Crimson's "Red" was the best rock album ever, but, to my knowledge. he never destroyed it.

Funny, Buk is my favorite writer, and Crimson one of my two or three favorite rock bands, but Cobain does nothing for me. Come to think of it, that's really not that funny.

I was just wondering that too....So he wasn't really a buk fan- of course he could
have been on something and was letting buk live on through the smoke:)(I don't think it was purple!)

I hear ol Kurt was a fan of America also.

1411137850_bc380421da_m.jpg

When I first heared Nirvana, (It was that 'Teen-Spirit'-album) - I thought: hey these bastards are stealing everything from the PIXIES!
I hated them so much for that - it took several months till I gave 'em a chance. Must admit: I DO like them now. 'In Utero' is a really fine one.

But occorse there's no excuse for burning books (be it Buk or anything).

Maybe Kurt was still loving Buk, at least he killed himself just after Buk's death, as if there was no reason for living anymore.
Like: "He's dead now. And I burnt his books! I will never be able to beg his pardon for that! I deserve to burn in hell! And besides - this Courtney-slut really sucks! Ah, where's that damn shotgun?!"

Maybe Kurt was still loving Buk, at least he killed himself just after Buk's death, as if there was no reason for living anymore.
Like: "He's dead now. And I burnt his books! I will never be able to beg his pardon for that! I deserve to burn in hell! And besides - this Courtney-slut really sucks! Ah, where's that damn shotgun?!"

I think that's probably what happened.

Kurt Cobain..........personally i couldn't see why he and Nirvana achieved god-like status. They were the early 90's version of punk but without any of the reasons for the existence of the original punk movement

Nirvana stole alot of ideas from punk but also Faith No More, who originated from the same Seattle 'grunge' movement. In fact, i think FNM were the 'original' grunge.
As for kurt and his whistful distruction of Buks work, ppah! Numpty. Should have died on the toilet like Elvis.

I alaways remember that quote from the Cobain journals....I was flicking through them years ago and just caught that passage by accident...and, of course, being a reader of bukowski, i was intrigued by the 'connection.'

I imagine Cobain, being by and larg a depressive, felt a certain kinship with Chinaski, but perhaps he felt that burning Bukowski, would elevate him from his misanthropic, negative world view.

There are a lot of impressioable people out there...who upon reading chinaski....readily make route down a road of alcohol abuse, self-destruction, self-loathing, and general Asocial View of society, people, and world! I don't holw the writer responsible for this, but it really does highlight, how desperate many people are, including the very young, for some kind of roll model, for some kind of person to afifliate with, to impersonate, to 'react' with.

As a young teen, I was the typical nirvana loving grunge kid, back before being a gunge kind in Scotland, was all the rage! It was strange that I should come to bukowski much later than my teenage years...something I am quite greatful for...I certain prefer Bukowskis words over Nirvana's music....Nirvana brought the indifferent, angsty spoiled teenage culture to life.

Now every kid thinks indifference to Life is the coolest thing since fat drunks....Our culture confirms as much...Our book shelves tell as much...Our televisions show that much.

No One Will Grow Up! :(

I guess thats why its so shocking to see the Yoof of today skipping around in dayglo shellsuits swinging glowsticks around to 'Nu-rave' with wild plastic smiles on their faces

but throughout the ages
People have always gotten their kicks off misery - from Shakespearean Tragedies to gladiators fighting in Rome to the modern day tabloids blabbering on about the demise of Amy Winehouse. There is a market for misery

Nirvana stole alot of ideas from punk but also faith No More, who originated from the same Seattle 'grunge' movement. In fact, i think FNM were the 'original' grunge.
As for kurt and his whistful distruction of Buks work, ppah! Numpty. Should have died on the toilet like Elvis.

I remember some of the people in the "designated smoking area" talking about Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and the Seattle grunge. I'm liking Alice in Chains the more I hear from them.

Layne Staley is dead so you won't be hearing much more from them either. They were a good band but failed to hit the mark.

Some thoughts on Cobain/Bukowski :

Kurt turned to Hank.
Hank stared back.
Kurt waited.
Hank waited longer.
Kurt rolled his eyes and then closed them.
Hank shrugged.
Bye Kurt.

And I don't mean to be dismissive of Cobain at all. I loved his work and consider "Lithium" to be one of the greatest rock songs of all time. But I am not offended at his burning of Buk's books because he obviously NEVER UNDERSTOOD THEM in the first place ! His actions are therefore just mis-placed gesturing. (Or technically a cry for help ). For me, there is no point in trying to assign a greater meaning to his recklessness with a cigarette lighter. He was talented and doomed but tragically un-aware of the fighting grace and stubborn pride that is all about SURVIVING. I don't think that Buk could have made it any clearer. So tragic that Cobain couldn't see it.
Especially after reading Bukowski. But of course, that is mental illness for you.......

Kurt turned to Hank.
Hank stared back.
Kurt waited.
Hank waited longer.
Hank shrugged.
I think that very accurately describes a lot of people's experience with Bukowski. The man himself (for those who traveled in his circles) and his words (for everyone else).

What's funny is he said time and time again not to expect anything from him, yet so many do seem pissed that they do not, or did not, have their expectations met. Funny.

I hate Cobain. He's music skills was horrible, but he is in every single TOP-100 guitarist! And everyday i see a teenagers with his face on t-shirt or on bag. He is like Che or Marley!

Kurt Cobain on Bukowski

I once read the Journals of Kurt Cobain and was taken aback because the first page I read (page 82) purely by chance had this comment on it:

'CRITIC GOES GOD

The first thing i did was burn all my Charles Bukowski books. I got the finfoil out and spread it on the floor. Ripped the filthy innards of plankton-literature into small pieces, and struck a match. I turned out the lights and watched the flames along with some home super 8 movies I had made while under the influence of this life I've decided to change.'

As far as I know, and I don't know that far, this is the only comment Cobain makes on Bukowski. I was surprised by the comment, I used to love Nirvana when I was a teenager, a wee mosher. I discovered Bukowski much later and baring no direct connection with Cobain and yet here on this unexpected page they both came together.

I was intrigued by Cobains rejection of Bukowski. But, he is almost taking Bukowskis literary attitude to the logical conlusion, i.e. in the end reject Bukowski. i.e. he was Anti-in his attitude, that could ultimately lead the reader had reject Bukowski. (Reject the character that inspired you to reject) I quite like the idea of Cobain burning Bukowski rather than emulate him as some kind of demi-god.

I think 'plankton-literature' is quite a sharp expression and condemnation of Bukowskis writing. It's also odd to see such an 'antiestablishment' figure (actually a conforming-non-conformity figure) reject Bukowski. He wrote it when he was a teenager, so I suppose, you come to reject The Great Rejector, eventuallty.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this tit-bit.

At the very least they both represent that angst driven outsider ethos.

Endnote: John Martin said about Bukowskis writing that "It's not cloaked in any kind of artifice." - This is untrue. Chinaski was an artifice. Writing anything invovles artifice. Posturing is artifice. I suppose what Martin means is that Bukowski reduced artifice and replaced it with no holds barred self-mythologising musing and world-critical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukowski or Cobain? :D

I'm joking. They are both flawed rectal passages but they share a common heritage. The difference lies in the fact Nirvana became a wholesale commodity a lot faster than Bukowski did. But they now both share a common mainstream commodification.

The individual (or the band) will always be dominated by the inecvitale 'media system' they were often a pains to stay away from, at least, ideologically.

I don't think Cobain was totally anti-establishment, he was a concise and calculating when it came to his career which is evident from his journals, problem was he got too much, too soon, and really he had no idea how to handle fame, either as a person or an 'artist'.

Because success came to Bukowski late in life I don't believe he had the opportunity or time to be seduced by 'celebrity' or manipulated by the media. Hypothetically speaking, had Buk been in Cobain's shoes i.e a writer who found fame in his twenties there is every chance he would have also reached for the shotgun.

The subject has already been discussed here. In fact, Olaf, you posted in the thread.

I will now merge the threads for your convenience and enjoyment.

Sounds like Cobain may have blamed Buk for at least part of his pain. But I don't see how. Unless Buk wrote subliminal messages intended to drive Cobain crazy.:rolleyes:

I didn't hijack and take over, I merged and commented.

The kids call it "forum management." Though I admit, it's a mystery to me. I just click on the little word pictures.

I truly am an immaturity who will not settle down.

Some thoughts on Cobain/Bukowski :

Kurt turned to Hank.
Hank stared back.
Kurt waited.
Hank waited longer.
Hank shrugged.
Bye Kurt.

And I don't mean to be dismissive of Cobain at all. I loved his work and consider "Lithium" to be one of the greatest rock songs of all time. But I am not offended at his burning of Buk's books because he obviously NEVER UNDERSTOOD THEM in the first place ! His actions are therefore just mis-placed gesturing. (Or technically a cry for help ). For me, there is no point in trying to assign a greater meaning to his recklessness with a cigarette lighter. He was talented and doomed but tragically un-aware of the fighting grace and stubborn pride that is all about SURVIVING. I don't think that Buk could have made it any clearer. So tragic that Cobain couldn't see it.
Especially after reading Bukowski. But of course, that is mental illness for you.......

I didn't write this. It's true. And no one claimed I did.

I alaways remember that quote from the Cobain journals....I was flicking through them years ago and just caught that passage by accident...and, of course, being a reader of bukowski, i was intrigued by the 'connection.'

I imagine Cobain, being by and larg a depressive, felt a certain kinship with Chinaski, but perhaps he felt that burning Bukowski, would elevate him from his misanthropic, negative world view.

There are a lot of impressioable people out there...who upon reading chinaski....readily make route down a road of alcohol abuse, self-destruction, self-loathing, and general Asocial View of society, people, and world! I don't holw the writer responsible for this, but it really does highlight, how desperate many people are, including the very young, for some kind of roll model, for some kind of person to afifliate with, to impersonate, to 'react' with.

As a young teen, I was the typical nirvana loving grunge kid, back before being a gunge kind in Scotland, was all the rage! It was strange that I should come to bukowski much later than my teenage years...something I am quite greatful for...I certain prefer Bukowskis words over Nirvana's music....Nirvana brought the indifferent, angsty spoiled teenage culture to life.

Now every kid thinks indifference to Life is the coolest thing since fat drunks....Our culture confirms as much...Our book shelves tell as much...Our televisions show that much.

These are my words, they have not been entirely manipulated by the management of this forum. They have been manipulated by my own mind.

Shit,I'm completely bonkers. Ignore my comments re-corrupt managment. I'm clearly far too touchy and paranoid on this site since mjp and me got off on the wrong electronic foot.

I bow my head in madness.

I don't play ball.

I should just calm down. I'm afriad I so expect to get ripped here I assume it has already occurred in every post.

A misunderstanding on my part and nothing to do with being a small child at all. ;)

Olaf, how many times have I told you to calm down and you say "Yes, I know. I get carried away sometimes," and I say "It's okay to get carried away, but you don't have to pick everything up and carry it away with you," and you say "I know, I know." a lot of times? yes, many times. at least you took my advice on the exclamation points.

sheesh. it's a good thing I like you. ;)

Not a big fan, I presume ;)

As far as putting part of his pain on Buk... I don't know how much water can be held there. How sane can you be when you're on junk? (Ie: Trainspotting, Sid & Nancy, etc). The way I understand it... Cobain never wanted to be famous. Plus that whole Courtney Love thing... I bet she has Spungen's autograph.

I just got here.
It looks like Olaf is admitting he's crazy or something. May be just a mild nervous breakdown.
I hope no one is upset. Kurt Cobain did shoot himself after all.

A day after Kurt Cobain killed himself, I wrote a poem about him. It got published in my school newspaper. My first official published work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back