Last Call Chinaski (1 Viewer)

In mid-August 2020 I plan to publish the last anthology in the Last Call series. This will be the 3rd book featuring poetry and art and a few essays from members of both the Bukowski faithful and many of the stellar poets I have come to know over the past 3 decades. Sadly, I haven't been able to use any of my favorite Buk poems or short stories in any of the previous books. This newest addition will also be without an example of Buk's work. It will be a fine showcase for many talented writers.

I am extending an invitation to anyone interested in submitting to Last Call Chinaski to do so by May 15th 2020. All your questions will be answered by going to https://www.lummoxpress.com/lc/final-last-call/

There will also be a small reading fee, to cover mailing (USA only) and help offset the cost of creating the book, which will be 6 X 9 inches. The fee is $5, which you can pay using paypal or by check (see details below). The book will retail for $20. Author orders will be $15 (in case you want to share the wealth).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, don't charge writers to submit their work!! It's just NOT cool. I wish all the lit rags that charge writers to submit (almost always to end up in the slush-dead pile) would flame out and disappear.

Listen, Jack, I don't know what century you live in, but it costs $$ to do anything! I work on these anthologies for nothing (hoping that when the book is published, I'll make some money back for my efforts). I don't have any foundation money or any other financial support for creating this project! I save up the dough to create a book like this. $5 is a very small price to pay... it covers the cost of shipping a copy out to those involved. If you don't want to participate, that's fine. Nobody's twisting your arm.

It's always cost money to do anything. Why do you think our pal Bukowski had to work shitty jobs for 30 years.

Do you think he would have paid to submit his work to some lit mag or anthology? I highly doubt it. Contests have always had payments attached to them but the horrible practice of making writers pay to submit their work to these little journals ("reading fees") only sprang up in the last ten or so years ago. To me, that's the worst thing you can do to a writer, short of what Martin did to Buk--put the burden of payment on them to have their work seen--NOT published mind you, but MERELY seen.

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Somehow in the past lit journals and whatnot didn't need money from writers to have their work read. They figured it out. Good luck with your book.

Do you think he would have paid to submit his work to some lit mag or anthology?
Bukowski split costs with the publishers of his early chapbooks more than once. That's not paying to be read, but it's paying to be published.
Somehow in the past lit journals and whatnot didn't need money from writers to have their work read. They figured it out.
Yeah, they "figured it out" by paying for everything themselves, out of their own pockets.

Now times have changed and you have to figure it out. The first step might be to stop asking someone else to pay the costs of publishing your writing.

Bukowski split costs with the publishers of his early chapbooks more than once. That's not paying to be read, but it's paying to be published.
Yeah, they "figured it out" by paying for everything themselves, out of their own pockets.

Now times have changed and you have to figure it out. The first step might be to stop asking someone else to pay the costs of publishing your writing.

Working out a business deal with a publisher to put out your work is one thing. Paying to have your work "looked at" for potential publication is another, sadly.

In the past, and still now in some instances, publishers of journals (which is what we're addressing primarily here) did "figure it out" and not for the most part by paying out of their own pockets. They had advertising, patrons, applied and won grants and--they cultivated loyal subscribers. They didn't put the burden on writers who gave them the content for their publications almost always without remuneration.

Sure, things have changed and I'm not averse to financing my own work. But there are still models of publishing which involve concerns that finance and put out an author's work without expecting anything upfront. Especially a fee to "read" their stuff.

It's always cost money to do anything. Why do you think our pal Bukowski had to work shitty jobs for 30 years.

Do you think he would have paid to submit his work to some lit mag or anthology? I highly doubt it. Contests have always had payments attached to them but the horrible practice of making writers pay to submit their work to these little journals ("reading fees") only sprang up in the last ten or so years ago. To me, that's the worst thing you can do to a writer, short of what Martin did to Buk--put the burden of payment on them to have their work seen--NOT published mind you, but MERELY seen.

This wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Somehow in the past lit journals and whatnot didn't need money from writers to have their work read. They figured it out. Good luck with your book.

When you are drunk most of the time, you tend to get shitty jobs... Buk was a drunkard most of his life and because of this he usually took the path of least resistance. He had a slacker mindset. He worked the angles. He managed to climb out of that pit thanks to his second wife, Linda, but he knew that pit was waiting for him to slip up; waiting to suck him down into the pit. Most of us have worked shitty jobs, haven't you? I've worked since I was 19 (50 years)! How about you?

Every poet must serve somebody when they start out including Buk. Walt Whitman self published Leaves of Grass and all of its subsequent revisions. Do you think he would have done that if he could find a publisher who would do it for him? Poetry is a niche market. It's a hard sale. You have to be in it for the long haul (I've run Lummox Press since 1994) and have traveled all over. the western US hawking books!
Art Goodtimes, a poet friend of mine, from the Western slope of Colorado sent me this comment yesterday: "without publishers poets are silenced". Without John Martin and Black Sparrow Press, Buk's 'voice' would have not been heard; without John's investment in Buk, he wouldn't have been able to focus on writing. John paid Buk a "wage" that covered his food and drink, plus his rent and utilities. For Jon it was an investment. He gambled on Buk and he won!

Like many poets, you seem to suffer under the delusion that poetry is a pure art and should be untainted by filthy lucre. But really, money is the grease that moves things along. Can you exist without money (without living with your parents)? Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find a 'garret' to live in, much less anyone who would let you run a tab so you could eat, drink and be merry!

That $5 shipping fee covers the postage plus the 'book box'. I will find the funds to assemble and publish the book from the loyal patrons that help me present the various book projects I do each year. It will be a fine looking book full of fine work. Have you ever seen one of the books published by Lummox Press?

rd

Are you accepting multiple submissions given the reading fee would be paid for each? If not that's cool, just wanted to clarify. Dziękuję!

No, it's $5 for a contributor's copy....which might contain 3 pieces of your work or only one piece. That number depends on whether I like what I read.

Ever heard of the NEA? They handed out money like there was no tomorrow (and eventually that came true). Unfortunately I came on the scene just a little bit too late to get on that gravy train. So Lummox books have had to cover the costs of printing; or die!

Working out a business deal with a publisher to put out your work is one thing. Paying to have your work "looked at" for potential publication is another, sadly.

In the past, and still now in some instances, publishers of journals (which is what we're addressing primarily here) did "figure it out" and not for the most part by paying out of their own pockets. They had advertising, patrons, applied and won grants and--they cultivated loyal subscribers. They didn't put the burden on writers who gave them the content for their publications almost always without remuneration.

Sure, things have changed and I'm not averse to financing my own work. But there are still models of publishing which involve concerns that finance and put out an author's work without expecting anything upfront. Especially a fee to "read" their stuff.

AGAIN I MUST POINT OUT, IT'S NOT A READING FEE, IT'S A FEE TO ENSURE THAT YOU GET A CONTRIBUTOR'S COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you accepting multiple submissions given the reading fee would be paid for each? If not that's cool, just wanted to clarify. Dziękuję!

I hope you will send me the shipping fee along with some of your work before May 15th. Maybe you'll even pass the word to your fellow poets about this project. Do you live in the US? If not please remember that the shipping fee is $15. rd

I hope you will send me the shipping fee along with some of your work before May 15th. Maybe you'll even pass the word to your fellow poets about this project. Do you live in the US? If not please remember that the shipping fee is $15. rd

I'm going to make sure I get you something for this. If the poems are up to snuff I'd love to be involved. And is the maximum submission 3 pieces (two poems one short story/essay) or is three poems and a story acceptable? If you like the poems I might send you a manuscript when your reading period opens in summer. I was pretty upset with myself after missing the deadline for a Bukowski Poetry Prize last fall. There was a cash prize as well as some sort of Bukowski portrait to the winner. I'm gonna say that I had trouble only selecting a few poems at the time but if I'm being honest that rejection letter might have stung a bit brighter than the others. I'll have to dig to see if I can find who won.

Edit: also after you said to pass the world along (not that I know very many poets) I was surprised to see that Lummox is not on Submittable. Curious if that's a personal preference?

Last edited:
Like many poets, you seem to suffer under the delusion that poetry is a pure art and should be untainted by filthy lucre.

No, it's $5 for a contributor's copy....which might contain 3 pieces of your work or only one piece. That number depends on whether I like what I read.

AGAIN I MUST POINT OUT, IT'S NOT A READING FEE, IT'S A FEE TO ENSURE THAT YOU GET A CONTRIBUTOR'S COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've basically said my piece on this subject but...

I don't think of money as "filthy lucre." I'd love to have lots more of it. And maybe spread it around a bit.

"No, it's $5 for a contributor's copy..."

So anyone who submits gets a copy, regardless of whether they are accepted?

"AGAIN I MUST POINT OUT, IT'S NOT A READING FEE..."

You call it a reading fee on your website. See my post above.

Look, I wish you luck with your project. I'm just very disillusioned with the whole "literary mag/journal" publishing thing and asking writers to pay for their work to be seen. Most of them pay hundreds or thousands of bucks a year for the Submittable program to organize their submissions. Again, I ask, since Bukowski is the subject of this forum, would he give them his credit card and pay the $3-$5 (or more) to submit his poems?

Last edited:
Again, I ask, since Bukowski is the subject of this forum, would he give them his credit card and pay the $3-$5 (or more) to submit his poems?
I dont have any strong feelings about reading fees, though I can say I usually dont submit to places that require them. But Bukowski ,as well as any writer before the advent of email, paid for postage, stamps, as well as writing materials modern writers dont technically need (ribbons, carbons, onion skins etc). And considering the amount of little mag publications Bukowski had, and before a certain time period rejections and manuscripts he didnt get back, I'm sure he spent a decent amount of money on submissions. Unless he got, or took, envelopes and stamps for free from the Post Office which seeing as he was written up for standing by open windows or going to the water fountain I dont think is likely. So in a way writers have always paid something to have their work considered for publication. Just like everything else the cost is just either inflated or applied elsewhere. But like I said I dont have any sort of strong feeling here just inserting my input where no one asked for it. Like the rest of my input. Anyway, CHEERS!

I'm going to make sure I get you something for this. If the poems are up to snuff I'd love to be involved. And is the maximum submission 3 pieces (two poems one short story/essay) or is three poems and a story acceptable?
Yes, you can send me 3 poems + short story. I didn't hear about that contest you spoke of, so I'd be interested in hearing about it too. One thing tho... you need to read the info at https://www.lummoxpress.com/lc/final-last-call/ . I'll be waiting waiting with interest
I was pretty upset with myself after missing the deadline for a Bukowski Poetry Prize last fall. There was a cash prize as well as some sort of Bukowski portrait to the winner.
Ha! I hate to say this, but I'm not aware of this site! What's the URL? So, when you send your short story and your 3 poems, could you also add a short bio? Don't forget the $5 shipping fee! Will also need your full name and city and state (assuming you're in the states).

Last edited:
So, when you send your short story and your 3 poems, could you also add a short bio? Don't forget the $5 shipping fee! Will also need your full name and city and state (assuming you're in the states).

Ha! I hate to say this, but I'm not aware of this site! What's the URL?
https://www.submittable.com

So this site is used by publishers and writers to submit works as well as advertise opportunities from specific mags/presses. The few writers I know only use this site to find opportunities and submit work. I'm not familiar with how a press would join and post certain things they are wanting submissions for but I'm sure it is as easy to navigate the site for publishers as it is writers. If you're unaware of the site it will certainly be a game changer as far as volume of submissions and ease of advertising your projects. It's free for writers so I imagine it's free for publishers too. I've read the info on your site and will be sending you some stuff soon. I will include the short bio and have told the only poet I know, who is much more accomplished than I am as far as publications and accolades, about the edition and he said hes going to send something too. Much luck and cheers.

So, when you send your short story and your 3 poems, could you also add a short bio? Don't forget the $5 shipping fee! Will also need your full name and city and state (assuming you're in the states).
The story I was going to send is 3,500 words. I saw your guidelines say 3k word max so I don't know if you would be open to reading it. If so let me know so I can send it tomorrow. I was about to send it just now but figured I'd check the guidelines.

It's a semi humorous account of a mohawked, meth smoking nazi that took me too a bare knuckle boxing fight in a Carolina basement some years ago. If need be I can try to trim some words but it would still be a bit above the 3k word count.

The poems I wanted to submit havent come back from my editor yet so I'm not sure if they are as good as they could be but I'll get you something tomorrow. I am waiting on a laptop to come in the mail, I needed to buy one since the people where I work have opted to do it from home because of the virus insanity here. Shit is going crazy.

If you can take a look at the story though, I think it's a good fit. If not no worries. Let me know what's up if you have the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back