Last CD you bought/ Book you read (6 Viewers)

WHY READ WHEN THERE IS TV? WHY LISTEN TO MORE CD' s AFTER YOU HAVE SEEN SHAKIRA?

I only read at the first grade level so the last book I read was "Everyone Poop's" by Taro Gomi-you know Elephants make big poopies, Mice make small poopies.I am working my way up to big peoples books.My girlfriend counts pages for me so I guarantee I will never read War and Peace by that Russian guy no matter how fast I learn to read. Poopies have always been fascinating to me ever since Mommie Dearest put me on the little boy's potty and screamed,"C'mon let it out. Squeeze harder you little bastard." Believe you me I wanted to take a poopie but I always thought it was dirty-dirty. I only took a shit when I was 34 when I read "All the Assholes in the World and Mine". Boy did I feel better. And people no longer said I was full of shit. They now said my poetry was shitty but I do not give a purple shit what readers think because my favorite pastime when I am not on the bidet squirting myself after a big one is studying shit, piss, vomit, mucous, etc. Big people call it Scatology-I call it "The Shits". Sigmund Freud said only those who study how a people dispose of waste know the people so I know all you faux intellectual mother fuckers who think your poetry is the shits.
The last and only CD I will listen to is Shakira's "Oral Fixation 2". Just like Bukowski changed my life forever when my brother sent me "Love is a Dog From Hell" with the inscription. "You are twisted, Hank is twisted, give him 20 pages", I was falling asleep watching the David Letterman show when I heard this beautiful voice sing "Don't Bother". I opened my eyes and my heart started racing. It was Shakira-Shakira-Shakira. I never saw a body move like that except when I watched an eel get zapped with electricity.OK .OK you snitch bastard.-also when I had electric shock therapy. I was hooked again. My CD is programmed to only play Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie". Screw Viagara-watch the video and blast off. Now I do not go out with women any more. No woman can beat Shakira. I stay home and masturbate. And the best part is this is the first time I have had sex with someone I love.

The last book I read was Diary of a Madman by Gogol and the last cd I bought was descended like vultures by rogue wave, strange link.

zoom man said:
Music "Everything Everything" Underworld

Nice work, this album is fantastic and the DVD is even better. I've been a fan of underworld for a long time, and seen them live five times. No other live electronic act comes anywhere near...

Did anyone buy the new Streets album ("The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living")?

sonic youth - Murray Street (yes, I'm an aging hipster doofus...)
book - The Last Angry Man by Gerald Green. A long simmering rant on urban sprawl, reality tv (tho this book was written in 1957), popular culture and the human condition. A little 20th century missed masterpiece. Part John O'Hara, Thomas Wolfe, and Don Delilo in it's own way.

What was the last released Delilo title?,
The one with the limo on the cover?....
Some of his stuff man, I really like,
And I have that (limo one I mean) one I know (probably with a remainder mark on it....).
That should be a new thread, BTW,....
What is the deal with these Pesky Remainder Marks?!?!?!

Latest cd: Wake Up Call by Gary Hoey
Also: Morph the Cat by Donald Fagen

Books: Brother Sam (memoir by Bill Kinison about his brother Sam)
Also: Descartes in 90 Minutes

Hey jose leitao, we're glad you're here and all, but you haven't said anything in over two weeks. Make a post. Tell us what (or who) you had for dinner. Make an ass of yourself somehow, you know how to do that. Jump back in the water, all the other freaks miss you.

:D :D :D :D :D

Nice touch...

I've been reading Peter Hanning's The Frankenstein Omnibus, and listening to Sigur Ros...

jose leitao said:
:D :D :D :D :D

, and listening to Sigur Ros...
I was just listening to their Tak and there's a big scratch on track 7 that just showed up...I'm pissed.

I bought a book of poetry by Charles Simic 'The Book of Gods and Devils' - I love his style even though it is not the most poetic, they are more so little prose-poems, little photographs, riddles of memory!

Despite a lot of criticism for being an 'academic' and writing 'awful' poems...I just can't get enough of his ability to capture 'moments' and to make the unexpected seem wholly mysterious and captivating.

If you want lyrical beauty - AVOID!

Book: Broken by Kelly Armstrong

Cd: well...I think it was the Phantom of the Opera sountrack, that or something by Diana Krall

dragging out this dusty thread...

Velvet Underground - bootleg Series Vol. 1 : the Quine Tapes 3 cd set
Johnny Cash - American V : A Hundred Highways
John Coltrane - Impressions
Ramones - Ramones (time to retire my lp, maybe frame it?)
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
I spent way too much $$$$ on music the past few days.

book...currently reading Native Son by Richard Wright. just finished Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee.

alright, back to the cd player.

Last CD - 3-CD audiobook of Clive Barker reading 'The Hellbound Heart'
Last Book: Cirerita's first Buk chapbook ;)

Last cd?s : The best of the blues brothers
John Lennon: Working class hero - the definitive Lennon (2 cd?s)
Canned Heat: Greatest hits live. Recorded Long Island, N.Y. in 1979.
Last book: Fito de la Parra: Living The Blues - Canned Heat?s story of music, drugs, death, sex and survival. (Yes, I?m a big CH fan :D )

Man: It's been a long time since I heard anyone mention Canned Heat. It's amazing how technology makes things spring eternal. Just finished: Things Gone and Things Still Here by Paul Bowles, Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell and Sifting Through the Madness. Am now in the middle of Atonement by Ian McKuwen (sp?) and The Flash of Lightning. Latest CD - Rufus Wainwright - I can't get over the fact that I'm listening to Rufus after spending my formative years listening to his father, Loudon.. My favorite song by Loudon was "Rufus Was A Titman". Now, I listen to Rufus' "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" over and over. His sister, Martha was just on David Letterman a few nights ago and did the most amazing version of Leonard Cohen's "Tower of Song". Da do ron ron...da do ron ron..

Just bought "Come on in" and "Barfly-the movie" yesterday. There?s still a handfull of Buk books subtitled "New poems" that I have?nt got yet. But then there?s something to look forward to :)
The "Barfly" manuscript looks interesting because you get to read all the deleted scenes and then there?s all the fotos. I have?nt read either book yet of course, just flipped through them.
I see in the Ecco listing of Buk?s books that there?s a title called "You kissed Lilly". Does anyone know what?s in it? Is it short stories from "Erections..." or poems or what?

You kissed Lilly is one of those short-run* Black Sparrow special editions that never came out as mass market softcover. It's a short story, you can find it in Hot Water Music.

*Krumhansl said;

87 signed copies each with an original hand-colored cover were published 14 April 1976: 75 copies numbered 1-75 plus 12 copies, 7 marked "Presentation Copy" and 1 each marked "Author's Copy," "Publisher's Copy," "Printer's Copy," "Binder's Copy," and "File Copy."

210 signed copies were published 8 February 1978: 200 copies numbered 1-200 plus 10 copies marked "Author's Copy."

Thanks for the info guys! I've got "Hot Water Music" so I guess I won't need Eccos edition of "You kissed Lilly" right away, but maybe later since I am a completist. Has anyone seen the Ecco edition? Are there Buk drawings in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukfan,
Ecco lists it in the front of the book at the "also by the author" section, but they will never reprint that title as it is already included in South. It is a great Limited book, but there would be little or no mass market demand for that title in a later, reprint edition....
Bill

just read/favourite music

just read Asolute Beginners by Colin McInnes about 1950's London from a teenage point of veiw. OK bit obvious stuff really but an easy read. Now struggling with thus spoke zarathustra, halfway through most of it over my head but might as well finish now Ive come this far!

Music, changes from week to week always got time for the long ryders and green on red more recent stuff the lost riots, franz ferdinand etc..

steve

mjp said:
I would be surprised is Ecco had a version of You Kissed Lilly. Where did you see that?

I saw it in Eccos "Come on in". They list a number of Buk books, You Kissed Lilly being one of them, and it says "Also by Charles Bukowski available from Ecco" before the listing starts. So I thought it was a new edition since I never saw it in Black Sparrows listings in their Buk books.
Bill is probably right. Like Black Sparrow, Ecco lists titles although not all of them are reprinted.

Hi Bukfan,
That is a mis titling. It should say "also by Charles Bukowski". They should leave off the part about Ecco. It was probably someone working with a list of pubs and somehow they did not realize the nature of that one.

Bill

'Parallel Text Italian Short Stories' - Edited by Dimitri Vittorini
'The Book of Gods and Devisl' - Poetry by Charles Simic

-I am trying to learn more italian reading with english and italian in one book is a great way to help pick up words phrases and a bit more of an understanding for the language-Charles Simic is a great poet, he is deceptively simple and well worth a read to get your thoughts turning on thinking and mystery-

Sigur Ros ( ) - Great Album, very moody, very slow...in the right mood this music as reassuring as like the womb to a newborn.

I get lots of C.D's (I do a lot of reviewing of music in Glasgow) plus I have a large collection, last C.D. I bought was Sigur Ros but I also bought Talking Heads Greatest Hits.

Latest CD's bought: Ace of Spades by Motorhead,
Filth & Fire by Mary Gauthier, Transformer by Lou Reed,
and Lipstick, Lies, & Gasoline by Fred Eaglesmith.

Latest books: Cranial Guitar by Bob Kaufman and
Tell Me by Kim Addonizio.

some vinyl at my favourite used store this week...
Tom Verlaine - Tom Verlaine
Tom Verlaine - Dreamtime
Jim Carroll - Catholic Boy
World Saxophone Quartet - Plays Ellington
book...You Have To Be Careful in the Land of the Free - James Kelman. an excellent Scottish (I think) writer.

i just bought Green Day-Warning, Patti Smith-Horses and Johhny Cash at Folsom prison. The last book i bought was Post Office but ive got Cannery Row by Steinback and Mooch by Dan Fante coming from amazon.

Bukfan said:
Last cd?s :...
Canned Heat: Greatest hits live. Recorded Long Island, N.Y. in 1979.
Last book:.... Living The Blues - Canned Heat?s story of music, drugs, death, sex and survival. (Yes, I?m a big CH fan :D )

Not to date myself (I mean, not to make explicit how ancient a lineage I?m from; not the other kind, being candle-lit dinners for one or walks alone in the park), but I played in the band (the Dali Llama; (yes, unfortunate name, but it was the seventies, and we were quite stoned)) that served as the opener act for Canned Heat concert at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara (I think Martin was in the audience in bell bottoms; maybe not). Funny story (perhaps): our guitar player bought a Robert Johnson 78 (probably pressed in the 20's) from Bear Hite for a couple hundred dollars (they were both avid collectors of old blues records). As he carried it out to his car, the thing fell to pieces in his hands. Bear said, of course, "You bought it; you own it." But they shared a joint as compensation, and he left semi-happy, at least. What the hell; it was a kinder, gentler time.
SD

Just bought 3 copies of It's No Joke: We Live in Hell, http://www.lulu.com/content/314054,
as there is a tv show in Australia who wants to profile books by that author and two online aquaintences who'd like signed copies.

It's the truth. That's the last book I bought.

I am currently reading a book with the initials of A.T. by an extraordinary writer who has yet to publish said book. It's a book unlike any I've ever redd. Very dense and over-the-top. By "dense" I mean: very rich with abundant asides & digressions & parentheses & brackets, and yet it all holds together in a magnificent way. Definitely a classic and I'm honoured to have had the privelege to read it before everyone else. Think of Miller's Tropic of Capricorn meets Tom Robinson's Still Woodpecker.

The last cd I "bought" was: Led Zeppelin's Tympani for the Butter Queen, a great show recorded in Texas in 1973.

Last book I read was "THE THIRD MIND" by William Burroughs (with Brion Gysin - Viking, New York, 1978)

". . . I don't know about where fiction ordinarily directs itself, but I am quite deliberately addressing myself to the whole area of what we call dreams. Precisely what is a dream? A certain juxtaposition of word and image. I've recently done a lot of experiments with scrapbooks. I'll read in the newspaper something that reminds me of or has relation to something I have written. I'll cut out the picture or article and paste it in a scrapbook beside the words from my book. Or I'll be walking down the street and I'll suddenly see a scene from my book and I'll photograph it and put it in my scrapbook. I've found that when preparing a page, I'll almost invariably dream that night something relating to this juxtaposition of word and image. In other words, I've been interested in precisely how word and image get around on very, very complex association lines."

-- William Burroughs

Just ordered "Bukowski in Pictures." Can't wait to check it out.

Music . . . The last CD I bought was called "Crime & Dissonance" by Ennio Morricone.

Fantasic album!

last book was haruki murakami - south of the border west of the sun
last cd was gary numan - living ornaments 80

hello everyone btw, this is my first post, great website 4 buk stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back