Last CD you bought/ Book you read (4 Viewers)

Got it. I thought it was something that had been written by one of Buk's ladies (not a bad title variation, by the way).

SD

cd's New York Dolls - One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This.
a surprisingly good cd considering it is 30 years since their last studio release.
Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo from the ashes of the Libertines. well, basically, the Libertines without Pete Dougherty. he's not missed.
book The Judges - Elie Wiesel. a philosophical novel in the vein of Camus.

hoochmonkey9 said:
cd's New York Dolls - One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This.
a surprisingly good cd considering it is 30 years since their last studio release.
32 years, but who's counting?

I saw Johansen and Sylvain on Henry Rollins IFC show and it didn't suck as much as I expected it to. It's good that they put together a decent album.

But they are not the New York Dolls. That's like calling Steven Tyler, Brad Whitford and a few 30-something year old side players Aerosmith. Sure, the singers may have every right to pimp themselves under the original name, but there's something desperate and shitty about it.

The Dolls were the first live band I ever saw, at, of all places, the Minnesota State Fair (at the "Teen Center" - a tiny, broiling shack that probably housed chickens in a previous life). Go figure. Summer of '74?

If you don't have it already, get All Dolled Up, Bob Gruen's DVD release of the best of the 40 or so hours of black and white video he shot of the Dolls on and offstage in the early 70's.

The documentary about Arthur Kane, New York Doll is also very, very good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I have the Arthur Kane doc coming via Zip.ca (the Canadian netflix). The Gruen dvd is excellent.
Good point about it not really being the New York Dolls anymore, but Sylvain Sylvain does a nice job of filling in for Johnny Thunders as main songwriter. Though he's hard to replace. L.A.M.F. is classic.
Johansen was always the primary lyricist, I think.

Yeah, I didn't mean to denigrate the contributions of Sylvain and Johansen. I just don't like it when any of these bands do "comebacks" without all the members. If half your band is dead or not participating, put the name to rest. Without Johnny and Jerry, there is no Dolls (are no Dolls?).

But I realize that not everyone buys that, and I wouldn't begrudge someone who wasn't born when the Dolls were a band the opportunity to see Johansen and Sylvain.

OT, a little bit, mjp, but I know you mentioned the Clash in another post...did you ever see them live?

Yes, several times, and when they were on their game, their shows were like a direct tunnel to the big rock and roll gods in the sky. But when they were bad, they were really awful. Ha. No middle ground with them, and I doubt they would have it any other way.

I spent about a half an hour walking along the banks of the Mississippi river with Joe Strummer once, pestering him and being an annoying twat, I'm sure. He was very gracious and friendly, asking me questions about the river and the cities.

Another time a couple years earlier I was talking to him backstage after a show and I sort of casually said, "I'll never write a song as good as yours." Strummer grabbed me by the collar (literally) and said, "Of course you will!" and some other tough love pep talk stuff.

He was a passionate fucker, and I was really sad to see him go.

ClashTicket.jpg

mjp said:
Yes, several times, and when they were on their game, their shows were like a direct tunnel to the big rock and roll gods in the sky. But when they were bad, they were really awful. Ha. No middle ground with them, and I doubt they would have it any other way.

I spent about a half an hour walking along the banks of the Mississippi river with Joe Strummer once, pestering him and being an annoying twat, I'm sure. He was very gracious and friendly, asking me questions about the river and the cities.

Another time a couple years earlier I was talking to him backstage after a show and I sort of casually said, "I'll never write a song as good as yours." Strummer grabbed me by the collar (literally) and said, "Of course you will!" and some other tough love pep talk stuff.

He was a passionate fucker, and I was really sad to see him go.

nice, very nice.
when I was a kid, I had supper with Chubby Checker at my aunts house. he said it was the best meal he had had in a longtime. my aunt was a lousy cook. liar. I never twisted again with the same verve.
anyway, I digress, that's a great Joe Strummer story, mjp. what the fuck is he doing dead?

hoochmonkey9 said:
...that's a great Joe Strummer story, mjp. what the fuck is he doing dead?
And some of these others alive, yes, good question.

Dinner with Chubby Checker sounds pretty good too.

ClashTicket.jpg

So have you? and if you have, I want to hear it.
love the ticket stubs, and sigs...

upon further review of your ticket stub, mjp, you heard songs from the allbum that I have said (and documented in print) heralded the end of punk and introduced (for better or worse) the 80's, before it was released...
ah, ya bastard, I'm jealous...
(full disclosure. London Calling is my favourite album of all time by my second favourite band ) .

London Calling is a masterpiece, I'm with you there. It was named the album of the decade - the 80's, that is - by some magazine that I can't recall at the moment. Rolling Stone? Spin? Trouser Press? I don't know.

To answer your question, I never wrote a song worth a damn. Understanding my limitations in music was my genius. ;)

London Calling is a masterpiece, I'm with you there. It was named the album of the decade - the 80's, that is - by some magazine that I can't recall at the moment. Rolling Stone? Spin? Trouser Press? I don't know.

It was Rolling Stone. They called Strummer to get his reaction and he said something like Uh, didn't that come out in '79?

Ah, Rolling Stone. I remember when that magazine was relevant. I must be old. ;)

Actually, I know I'm old. I keep seeing the trailer for the movie The US vs. John Lennon, and I can't wait to see that fucker. That's proof right there.

I have videotape of the first US television appearance by the Clash, on the old Saturday-Night-Live-wannabe show Fridays. They played four (!) songs from London Calling. Don't know if that's online anywhere, and I haven't pulled the tape out in years, but it was something.

the thing I remember most about Fridays is the musical guests...I remember seeing J im Carroll on there when I was about 13 (in '81, I think), and he blew me away.
wasn't Kramer (Michael Richards) a cast member?

cd's The Mekons - So Good it Hurts
Be Your Own Pet - Be Your Own Pet
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (expanded edition)
Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 7 No Direction Home
book The Stones of Summer - Dow Mossman

Husker DU!?
I still remember New Day Rising coming into the record (not CD) store I managed put it on and played it over and oevr agin for hours Cats Rats. People thought I was nuts. Hell the punkers hated it-they were still following Exploited and West Coast Canada stuff.
And if memory serves me correct this was during Iron Maidens reign so Bob's sound was anti everything at the time.

Ah, New Day Rising is after my time, I had moved to California to play Reggae by the time that came out. I was out of the loop. ;) But they were a great band, for sure.

yawl
last cd i bought: "we four" a compilation of past hits by the "ink spots" -
last book read: "a haiku menagerie" by stephen addiss w/fumiko & akira yamamoto -

jose
how do you manage to place the accent marks in your name? i try to be correct in spelling names -
who authored the closing quote in your last post?

rrat

book: "The Trials of Lenny Bruce"
cd's: Modern Times - Bob Dylan
Bootleg Tapes, Vol 1-3 - Bob Dylan
Gand of Losers - The Dears

cd: Modern Times (Speciel limited edition) - Bob Dylan.
Book: Thomas Andrae: Carl Barks and the Disney Comic Book - unmasking the myth of modernity.

hooch: you bet! Especially tracks 1-3-5-7-9-10. the slower tunes are not my cup of the. But I have only heard the cd 5-6 times so I may change my opion when I really get familiarized with all the lyrics. It was a surprise to find the old blues tune "Rolling and Tomblin'" on the cd. First time I heard it was on the Canned Heat lp "Boogie with Canned Heat" way back in '68 when I was a teenager. I prefer their version for sentimental reasons but Bobs version is certainly not without merit!
The last 8 min. long track called "Ain't talkin'" brings back memories of the last 16 min. track, "Highlands" on the "Time out of mind" cd. Seems like Bob likes to end some of his albums with a long track.
I enjoyed the bonus dvd. It was interesting to watch him perform an alternate version of "Cold irons bound". I trust you also bought the limited edition with the bonus dvd?
However, I don't think "Modern Times" nor "Love and Theft" are quite as good as "Time Out Of Mind". But maybe it's unfair to compare them since "Time Out Of Mind" was a masterpiece (in my humble opinion).
By the way, have you watched Martin Scorsese' Dylan documentary "No Direction Home"? Otherwise I'll recommend it. It's 3.5 hours long and out on dvd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukfan...I've only listened to Modern Times 3 or 4 times, and at this point it just seems like Love and Theft, pt. 2 (which still makes it a great album), but I'll have to give it a few more listens. the cd picks up for me around track 5. "Working Man's Blues" stands out so far.
"Time Out of Mind" is a masterpiece, I agree...
Speaking of the bonus dvd w/ Modern Times...I'm happy to have the song from the "Wonder Boys" soundtrack (can't remember the name at this moment)...a great song.
"No Direction Home" is a stunning doc, and the "soundtrack" cd, which isn't a soundtrack at all, but a continuation of the "bootleg" series is incredible...the version of "Leopardskin Pill-box Hat", which is one of my favourite Dylan songs, is a slower, bluesier take on the original and works really well...

hooch...I have'nt got the "No direction home" bootleg cd's yet but they're on my to do list because I've got the other 6 albums in the bootleg series
(No.4 in the series, "Bob Dylan live 1966", the so called Royal Albert Hall Concert, also have a live version of "Leopardskin Pill-box hat").
By the way, Howard Sounes who wrote a Buk bio, has also written a Dylan bio called "Down the highway - the life of Bob Dylan". I've read about half the book and so far it's been a good read. Just thought I would mention it...

cd...Bob Dylan - Bootleg Tapes vol. 4...(thanks Bukfan)
book...The Willow tree - Hubert Selby, Jr.

just got back from the used record store...Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Global a Go-Go.

most recent reading has been Titus Andronicus, Q1, FF, Critical Essays About
Titus Andronicus, A Hundreth Sundrie Flowers, still working on Shakespeare
Identified, vol 1, and Hidden Allusions in Shakespeare, but, since I finally
tripped on Bukowski a few months ago, I notice that most of my time is
spent reading every poem of his I can find at Powells...

Beck - The Information

this CD rocks... and it's also kind of eerie... probably his best one since Mutations or Odelay.

Just bought Barry Miles: Frank Zappa. I've only read small parts here and there yet but it seems to be a good bio. He actually knew Zappa well or so it says in the blurb. I thought his Buk bio was very good and when I saw he also had written a Zappa bio I just had to order it (yes, I'm also into Zappa :) )...

Hey Bukfan, I was just thinking about Zappa last night. Was looking on youtube.com for video from "200 Motels" and found quite a few good clips, including "Lonesome Cowboy Burt." What I couldn't find (but would really love to see again) was an excerpt of a show I saw several years ago where Zappa "plays" the audience. I'm thinking it was on either Merv Griffin's show or The Mike Douglas Show. Do you (or anyone else) by any chance know which show it was on and/or have any idea where I might find this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back