Last CD you bought/ Book you read (6 Viewers)

According to Amazon, 15 of the 47 songs have'nt been released before now (I pre-ordered my copy, so Amazon had included Dylan's Brandeis Concert for free as a pre-order bonus). From Amazon:

Among the many gems found on The Witmark Demos are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive"Ballad For A Friend," the civil rights era-inspired "Long Ago, Far Away" and "The Death Of Emmett Till," and the poignant "Guess I'm Doing Fine."

The Witmark Demos also features a deluxe booklet featuring in-depth liner notes by noted music historian Colin Escott, as well as rare photographs of Bob Dylan captured during the same period as these early recordings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good buy on the Dostoevsky book, Swan. Hope you don't stop at Notes.. but read the rest. The Double is a case study of paranoid schizophrenia before the term was ever coined. The Gambler posits that sheer willpower can overcome the odds - mind over matter at the roulette wheel.

Similar in theme to what Bukfan just read I just finished this:

The Damage Done.jpg

Not a bad read at all.

I am now tempted to spend the $

Right, so was I. 15 songs, which have never been released before, plus the versions of the rest of the 47 songs have never been released before either.
So, if you like early Dylan you won't be disappointed. Maybe you should have a look at the reviews on Amazon. Most of them are very positive.

Btw, The Brandeis Concert (1963) which you got for free if you pre-ordered, is still available as long as the stock lasts! Just click on the link in the box which says, "Limited Quantity of Bonus CD Available".

$13.99 for three CD's is not a bad deal at all, and the 2-CD set has a running time over 150 min., and the Brandeis Concert has a running time of 38 min.
It's a pretty good concert which has'nt been released before either. All the Amazon reviewers praise it, even those who have issues with the way the 2-CD set was remastered (technical nitpicking).

I'm loving Caitlin Rose right now, she's country-pop. I'm very taken with her wonderful clear voice and melodies. Have ordered her album 'Own Side Now' from my local C.D. shop, so something to look forward to.
Have been listening to her on myspace..

Well in order to get ready for the new NBA season, I just read through Phil Jackson's The Last Season (A Team In Search Of It's Soul) for about the 5th time. It was just as good as the 1st time I read it! It chronicles Shaq's last season with the team(2003-2004), and how uncoachable Kobe Bryant was at the time. It was also Phil's last season with the team till he returned in 2007. Phil's written 4 books, I think this is his best. It's written in a diary/journal format and it's a must read for any NBA fan!
Go Lakers!

phil.jpg

Rollins turned 80, last september. He is a living legend to me.
Saw him playing when I was 16 years old. Sweet memories.

I bought this album today:

Freedom_Suite_%28Sonny_Rollins_album%29.jpg

I just read, "Dry Guillotine" (1938), by René Belbenoit. It's an autobiography about the 15 years he lived as a convict in the penal colony in French Guiana and his several escape attempts until he finally succeeded in escaping. It's a very exciting book and much better than, "Papillon", by Henri Charriere.
I stumbled over "Dry Guillotine" at Archives.org. You can either read the book online or download it as a PDF file.
Here's the link:

http://www.archive.org/details/Dry_Guillotine

I bought the Dutch translation of Septuagenarian Stew.
Rare...over the years I've only seen copies over $35.
I paid about $12.

Been buying some CDs lately. Got the latest by Trombone Shorty. Got wowed by Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, so I bought the soundtrack to "Lift to the Gallows" on a recommendation from a B&N employee. Also got Blue Train by Coltrane. I've been on a big jazz kick and I'm loving it. Also got the soundtrack to Crazy Heart and a greatest hits by Warren Zevon.

last cd was 'urban hymns' by the verve, bought many moons ago. great album.

book: 'skywriting by word of mouth' John Lennon

Books
'Nothing I see means anything' David Parrish
George MacDonald 'The complete fairytales'
Sounds-
Charanjit Singh'Ten ragas to a disco beat'
333.jpg

and just discovered D.R Hookers stuff

d_r_ hooker - the truth 1972 front 2.jpg

From France:
- La Valse aux adieux of Milan Kundera (sorry but I don't konw the egnlish title, but what a great novel)
- In Between of Erik Truffaz (electro trumpetist: whaaa!)

Keeping with history just read this (how the hell did Pickett survive that charge with nary a scratch?):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEUHalXJDV5bbOCCuQg8rl4u2vokfb89qM0zskrKEpW2PrdPL9IQ.jpg

This one never collects dust (a bit of a cheat - not a recent buy):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnZBMKo9nEqBMCE6mhl5x06Eph2HVjai6ldF8zTnc8mT-0kF2c.jpg

I've never read "Killger Angel", but I saw "Gettysburg" who was the adaptation. Good movie with great actors (Sheen, Berenger, Daniels). But I find the representation of the war "too clean" in this movie.
I saw "Gods & Generals" too. Maxwell has never had the money to finish the adaptation of the Shaara's trilogy. The adaptation of "The Last Full Measure" was failed.

About books, I've just finished "1933 was a bad year" by Fante.
n227187.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back