Last CD you bought/ Book you read (3 Viewers)

I don't like to boast but I played bass on Hey Jude and I don't care what you all say that is THE BEST Beatles track for bass there is and I used a Steinberger.

It's a well known fact that MacCartney died years ago so I know you're lying.

Also, a lot of musicians don't get credit, look at the great Motown studio guys, which I was one of.

Okay, Motown that's better than the Beatles. I liked all of that stuff from the sixties to into the eighties.
Did you play with Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Stevie Wonder or Rick James? Wow I just saw Rick James on the list and that makes Slimedog make some sense.

Okay, Motown that's better than the Beatles. I liked all of that stuff from the sixties to into the eighties.
Did you play with Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Stevie Wonder or Rick James? Wow I just saw Rick James on the list and that makes Slimedog make some sense.

Yeah, I played with all those cats-I'm not James Jamerson, though my first name is James ( Paul Mccartney's first name is James, also, Paul is his middle name) so anyways I went by Jim Jimerson.

My band used to play shows with the Replacements. We all came up during the same era up there in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Husker Du would play three hour shows in the lofts in "Lowertown" St. Paul...ah, yes, those were good days to be young and alive.

I guess it's always a good day to be alive. Never mind.
You used to play with Husker Du and The Replacements? That is fucking awesome.

The sound is the same, but that's thanks to the engineer Geoff Emerick I suppose. Revolver is the record that really brought out the bass for the first time. For me.

But that isn't McCartney playing. I don't know if he could have played that part. He was not what I'd call an economical bass player. ;)
Have you read Geoff Emerick's Here There and Everywhere? Someone gave it to me recently and I wasn't expecting much but I was very impressed. I felt he didn't pull any punches. I thought it was a very insightful, down to earth read.

Jesus, it's awesome to be alive

I remember being in college loving (or trying to) Husker Du
But can't remember a song by them now,
It is, indeed, sometimes...quite awesome to be alive.

Personally, I like "Books About UFOs."

to counteract the effect of spending a week in Disney World with my in-laws, I brought along an 800 page Beckett bio.

JamesKnowlson_SamuelBeckettDamnedToFame.jpg

I'm not finished yet, but it's extremely well done. one of the most detailed, comprehensive bios I've read on anybody.

I Slept with Joey Ramone. I just finished this book a couple of days ago. I have read every book ever released on the Ramones and have only liked a few, but the most recent two were excellent. The first one written by Mickey Leigh(Joey's younger brother) and Legs Mcneil(Co-founder of Punk magazine) really gives you a different point of view. Tells much more about Joey's youth than any other Ramones book. I'm sure most fans know Joey was diagnosed with OCD as a teen, but this book really details all the struggles he went through growing up with OCD.

The second one, Poisoned Heart, I Married Dee Dee Ramone by Vera Ramone(Dee Dee's first wife,) I finished about 2 months ago. Another great book that tells a lot of the same but some new stories about Dee Dee Ramone and the gang! Check em out, both awesome! Also, I think Mickey should have gone with the original title intended, which was I Slept with Joey Ramone and his Mother Too! Maybe, publisher made him change it.

Now I await Johnny's memoir, which is said to have been completed at the time of his death. It was then put into the hands of Henry Rollins to edit, complete? It probably won't give much new insight, but since it was usually everyone else talking about what a demanding tyrant Johnny was, I'm interested to see his side of things.

joey.jpg
ddee.jpg

Leaving Las Vegas by John O'Brien.

Big Sur by Jack Kerouac.

I preferred Las Vegas. A drunk with a better handle on his drinking. Okay, that's sarcasm. Sad story about O'Brien's life.

400000000000000053802_s4.jpg

last month during my book purge, I set aside a pile of my wife's books to get her yea or nay on keeping them. she's not as attached to them as I am, but god forbid I touch her Margaret Atwood's!

anyway, I held the Mosley book up and she said "That's a good one. It's about drinking and philosophy. You should read it."

I've had read a couple of his mystery novels in the past, and liked them. I thought this was a mystery also, but it's not.

it's quite good. it's a very European novel by a very American writer. it reminded me quite a bit of Elie Wiesel's The Judges.

anyway, I highly recommend it.

Recently:
Ballad of the Sad Cafe - Carson McCullers
Shoplifting From American Apparel - Tao Lin
The Dead - James Joyce
Stories II - Scott McClannahan
Waylaid - Ed Lin

And the best book I have ever read about trying to be a writer:
On Becoming a Novelist - John Gardner

In progress:
Day of the Locust - Nathanel West
May Day - F. Scott Fitz.

I read a couple of his books, and that shit was cute for 30 or 40 pages, then it wore thin pretty quickly. I can't even put my finger on it, I just had a bad feeling after reading them. Like a sick feeling I'd just done something stupid. Pissed on a bum or something. Wasted my time.

And I should say that I thoroughly enjoy wasting time. I excel at it, in fact. But I would never piss on a bum. I would piss on an outlaw poet. Just to see how outlaw they really were.

I am drinking V8. I am not on acid.

I'm always interested in things that seem to have no middle ground. You either like it or hate it...that's fascinating to me, so I like to see what the hubbub is about in such cases.

isn't ballad of a sad cafe a sad sad book??

i adore mccullers but dang she leaves me feeling heart-wrung after each of her stories.

The Ballad of the sad cafe, Clock without Hands, the Heart is a Lonely Hunter; all heart-wringing books.

She could really nail that exasperating sense of loneliness, of the individual suffering alone surrounded by a million other suffering, lonely individuals.

Damn.

isn't ballad of a sad cafe a sad sad book?

I felt, about that book & McCullers after reading it, the way I've always felt about Billie Holiday and Patsy Cline...this powerful urge to grab them all and just hug them...hold them and tell them it would all be okay, even if it was a lie. I want it to all be okay...you know?

What a book though.

i haven't read a clock without hands or the mortgaged heart yet; they're sitting on my shelf while i psych myself up for the heartbreak.

Recently:
Shoplifting From American Apparel - Tao Lin
I read that book because of its title alone, well more because of my interest in American Apparel. I found it entertaining, and wanted to check out other stuff from Lin.

I was at American Apparel's annual flea market a few years back, and got to chatting with their ceo Dov Charney(Hey he even bought us red chili tamales!)but anyway, talk about a wild, zany, crazy, fill in the blanks, character. If anyone knows who Melrose Larry Green is, he reminded me of him, just way more business savvy. That guy, Dov, is quite odd, interesting and a bit scary at the same time. I had originally picked up the book, because I thought it had something to do with the company, but it enjoyed it all the same.

The same Dov with all the sexual harassment suits brought by former female employees? Yeah, he sounds real zany. And he looks like someone from this site.

That is why I said scary, he was really freaky. Though I don't know if he was ever found guilty of any of the chargers, I will say the way he acted, and photographed females would have made me think he was guilty. In any event, he was odd, and maybe zany wasn't the correct term, when all is said and done, he was weird.

...I don't know if he was ever found guilty of any of the chargers...
He wasn't. But he had much better lawyers than the accusers could afford. So how could he be found guilty? O.J. Simpson wasn't found guilty in Los Angeles either. Rich people don't go to jail here. Or in most places.

There's an article out there somewhere where a female journalist spends a day with the American Apparel douche, and you have to assume that he'd be on his best behavior for that, but he was still doing a lot of creepy shit to employees.

1zn2zqv.jpg

If only this fine example of human culture were not defiled with all that vandalism in the background.....wait....or is that art?

I'm listening to this

Yes, I think I remember the article, he was jumping on desks and grabbing his crotch, or something like that, now that this has all jogged my memory. I also remember my ex calling me an asshole(because she found him creepy from the word go) for entertaining his conversation so much. At the time, I really knew nothing about him. He just kept talking and talking about how he could fix immigration, the economy, etc and I listened and he was paying for, well not really, but was ordering the cook to give us all the tamales we could eat, and I love tamales!

But mjp, you can't tell me Michael Jackson was guilty after being found not guilty 15 times right? Just kidding, or what do the kids say now, lol, rotfl, omg, etc.

Guilty? Michael Jackson is in heaven with JESUS and all the children who went to live with JESUS. He runs the day care up there.

I just heard that Daryl Gates died. He's there too. With all the other great men of history.

i haven't read a clock without hands or the mortgaged heart yet; they're sitting on my shelf while i psych myself up for the heartbreak.

have any of you read her short story "who has seen the wind" about the failing writer and his wife?

it gave me chills i could relate to it way too much.

I just finished reading Planet Joe by Joe Cole. He was the best friend/roadie of Henry Rollins who was shot to death in LA during an attempted home invasion robbery. Rollins and Joe were coming home, back in 1991 when they were approached, the robbery went array, and for some reason they shot Joe. It's a good diary/blog type read. It covers 1986/1987 while Joe was a roadie for Black Flag. It's filled with a little too many acid/mushroom trips(slimedog, it's calling you!) for me, but still not bad. I also didn't know the book was as rare as it is, I have had it sitting on the shelf for years. He also quotes Bukowski in the book, which was a surprise to me. ""The first thing you've got to do is beat the grind, it'll kill you. Then you go from there." - Bukowski. Not that I can remember where that is from, but it's credited to Buk in the book.

joe.jpg

Last cd I bought was the twentieth anniversary version of The Stone Roses. Brilliant album wi a brilliant cd of demos and a great dvd.

Last book I read, well I've been on a comics bender recently and I just re-read It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken by Seth. I would highly recommend it to everyone. I'm also re-reading Hot Water Music. =)

Finished this the other day. Really enjoyed it. Then I saw the entire movie in parts on youtube. I have read they're making an American version of the film. The book was good, for any vampire fans, the movie, eh, maybe the American version will be eh as well, but the book is a recommendation.

rightone.jpg

I got a few sun ra records. Replaced the needle on my player. Spent a bit of my university rent on a uke & some spinoza/coetzee. Tomorrow I think I'll pick up a sufi & a killer & uh huh her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back