Librarian website chat room, any recommendation? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a librarian and would like to interact with other librarians or people interested in books. Lately I added a chat room (text chat) that let me add YouTube videos and images. This made users stay longer.

The issue is that I cannot integrate my user base (I have around 1500 users) to the chat room and all need to re-login.

I have checked both RumbleTalk chat and c-box chat but then the lack of 3rd party users integration is a problem, any recommendation?

I am a librarian and would like to interact with other librarians or people interested in books.
So far, so good.
Lately I added a chat room (text chat) that let me add YouTube videos and images. This made users stay longer.
You added text chat to what? Your users from where?
The issue is that I cannot integrate my user base (I have around 1500 users) to the chat room and all need to re-login.
Your user base from what? Into your "chat room" where?

You see where this is going?

For a librarian you're a little vague...

"Yes, we have that book."
"Great, where can I find it?"
"In the library."

So far, so good.
You added text chat to what? Your users from where?
Your user base from what? Into your "chat room" where?
Ok, let me clarify. I added a chat room widget to my university library. We have users that can log-in to the University website, then go to the library page, this is where our "RumbleTalk chat room" is. Now people want to ask questions in the chat room after they login with guest, facebook or with twitter, which works pretty well. But, I want them to login automatically to the chat room as they logged in to the university website just a minute. However, Rumbletalk cannot use their former login. So I am looking for a chat room that the users will automatically log-in to a chat room.

Okay, so it's a website. What you're trying to do (pass authentication from a different source) is difficult in the best case and probably impossible with a third party app (like whatever you're using). Ideally you'd want to install a chat program on the website itself and disable the login so that anyone on the site could use the chat (sine they've already authenticated by logging in to the site). But if I was your university IT nerd I wouldn't let you do that, because it introduces insecurity and potential exploits to the site.

The "logging in twice" requirement might seem inconvenient to you now, but it's far less inconvenient than having some Chinese kids take control of your university's network.

Ideally, if it was me, a program like this stand-alone forum software is the best bet. Users can log in using Facebook, Twitter and Google+ credentials (that feature is disabled here), and it will do everything you could ever want to do. But it comes with its own cost and maintenance.

Well, you are right, but we tried it before and bought a software, than we had a problem that we needed a fully dedicated linux to the chatroom. This was pretty slow when over 50 chatters and expensive. This why we moved to a chat service.

Sorry, it took me a while, but just for you to know, I am still looking for a suitable chat room for my site any help will be most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back