Linda King Talks About Buk (1 Viewer)

Interesting interview for as short as it is. I thought it funny (but understandable) that Linda's favorite Buk poems are those written when he was with her, or about her, or that she published -- human nature, I guess. (Don't be mad at me if you read this Linda -- it's not a criticism. Hell, I'd probably do the same if I was in your position.) Click on the link at the bottom of the inteview for the poem about Bukowski written by Linda's nephew -- it's pretty good. Thanks for the link, Dark Party.

Yes, including a comment by Linda Kings sister, Gery King Hitt:

Gerry Hitt said...
"I was there that night and I remember being constantly worried about Raymond, my son, who seemed to be self destructing with drugs and alcohol. Influenced by my Mormon background and an alcoholic father I vowed never to drink or smoke. I thought Bukowski was a father figure to my sister Linda only a lot more creative than our own drunken cowboy dad. He was wild like the cowboys. The room shook when he entered it the first time I ever saw him at The Bridge, a poetry hole with couches yet. There was a roar and then there was Bukowski. My sister Linda King (not his wife) was very impressed." Gerry King Hitt

Of course, you never know, but imho it sounds authentic.

Thanks for the link, Dark Party! Great little interview! I enjoyed the five questions too...

Another five questions about Bukowski is on this site, below the Xmas greeting entry (as tight as I could get the search to go with as little work put in as I could get away with). Answered by mjp.
http://darkpartyreview.blogspot.com/search?q=michael+phillips

Nice little interview MJP. the bit about Buks sensitivity and the introspectivness (is that a real word?) is so true. I've always thought of putting together a small packet of his kinder and gentler poems to give to some of my family members, so they could know that I wasn't infactuated with this "classless ugly guy that writes dirty degrading hateful shit, that he calls poetry, mostly about fucking some women's cunt" but I never have. mostly because I"m just to lazy and I guess I don't really give a fuck if they understand or not. but it would be a great way to introduce new people to buks work... then again I guess either you get him or you don't.

Thanks.

He edited some errors into that - the one I remember specifically was, "Linda King (Bukowski's second wife)" - he added the parenthetical bit. Of course Bukowski and Linda King were never married.

But a good guy, he does some interesting stuff over there.

Last edited:
He edited some errors into that
Yes, and another error in the last sentences of the interview: " and I believe that's why the Bukowski persona was born. As a defense mechanism." - It should have said "the Chinaski persona"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and another error in the last sentences of the interview: " and I believe that's why the Bukowski persona was born. As a defense mechanism." - It should have said "the Chinaski persona"...
I think the Bukowski that most of us think we know is also a "persona" and was a defense mechanism. Anger and anti-social behavior are defenses, and he used those throughout his personal life.

Last edited:
Linda King is a bitch. if somebody did half the stuff she did to buk to me, i'd kill her.

Not to contradict you but
if you combine a lot of alcohol with any relationship,
you'd be surprised to see what people can do to one another.
Even people who love one another, especially...
I would'nt be so quick to absolve one of my favorite writers of any bitchdoing.

Linda King is a bitch. if somebody did half the stuff she did to buk to me, i'd kill her.

We have talked about Linda King before, don't you remember?
Roni met her and there is also a dvd of the German society. Linda King isn't the same person anymore who she was in the early seventies. You seem full of hatred, or is it the internet.....

I think the Bukowski that most of us think we know is also a "persona" and was a defense mechanism. Anger and anti-social behavior are defenses, and he used those throughout his personal life.

Very true! He also showed us his Bukowski "persona" in his readings etc.

lol full of hatred? no, I just think that I don't like her.
this is the internet and i'm entitled to my own opinion and the one that I've formed from reading Buks material and even a few L. King interviews is that she is a bitch.
most women are. she more so than others.

Right about now a little joke

A man is laying in a hospital bed about to die.
A doctor informs the family that the only procedure
that could save that man's life is a brain transplant.

Okay, the family members gather and ask
how much for the brain? the doctor says
$5000.00 for a man's brain and $200.00 for a female's.

All the men are discretely laughing.
"And why is that", they say.

The doctor replies :"We only have used female brains."

Can you say in which bits of the interview you feel Linda King getting on her high horse?

As I read it, she's asked some questions about Bukowski, and answers them fairly.

Seems like they had a very passionate relationship for a couple of years, when both of them were quite wild people...

What the hell are you guys talking about? Did I miss some vicious, ugly interview with King somewhere? There's certainly nothing bitchy or "high-horse" in the interview at Dark Party.
You are correct, but the Chinaski brothers may be reflecting on the stories in "Women".
Some people just won't forgive that easily.

Roni met her and there is also a dvd of the German society. Linda King isn't the same person anymore who she was in the early seventies.

Fully agree i also met her in Andernach on our symposium -she was a very kind and lovely person and did me the favour to wrote a personal dedicaton in " Women ".

Who said "Linda King must have a magic vagina"?

Liza Williams in Sounes's LOCKED IN THE ARMS OF A CRAZY LIFE, page 128.

yeah, two very nice interviews.
MJP, your answers ROCK! Every sentence is true. This could make a Bukowski-introduction for 'first-timers'.
The Linda-interview's awesome too. She isn't on a high horse. She only is proud about the role she played in his life. And I think she has a right to.
(and, yes, I also would kill any person who throws my books outa the window! - but it seems, for Hank it worked. And she is tamer now.)

MJP, your answers ROCK! Every sentence is true. This could make a Bukowski-introduction for 'first-timers'.
Roni, you're too kind. Hope you had a good time in LA. You didn't call, so I figured you were going non-stop...or maybe just ignoring me and hanging around with the more popular kids! Bastard!

Can you say in which bits of the interview you feel Linda King getting on her high horse?

As I read it, she's asked some questions about Bukowski, and answers them fairly.

Seems like they had a very passionate relationship for a couple of years, when both of them were quite wild people...

I'm still waiting for a reply of the Chinaski brothers.

...(and, yes, I also would kill any person who throws my books outa the window! - but it seems, for Hank it worked. And she is tamer now.)

Along similar lines, I once threw our cat across the room because she sat down on one of my Bukowski books, but that was in the 80s and I've calmed down since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back