Linda Lee Bukowskeeeee (1 Viewer)

Now, is Mr. Lane referring to Mrs. Bukowski or Mrs. King? :D

Mrs. Bukowski, I know the difference. It's my opinion based in part on the Bukowski tapes, especially what Hank says the episode he kicked her on the couch. He was angry but spoke the truth there. Let's just say I take his word for it and my understanding of the material and not yours. We can agree to disagree.

Ponder: Criticizing me for having a filthy mouth is quite ironical coming from a person participating on a website devoted to Bukowski. :rolleyes: I'll be on my way in that case, let me know. Other than that, I'm not here to joust with you fellows and your cutting remarks. Let's leave it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's just say I take his word for it and my understanding of the material and not yours. We can agree to disagree.

But Jimmy, I never gave you my understanding of the material! :confused:
- But I guess you're referring to other members understanding. And sure, we can agree to disagree. No problem at all!

JimmyLane! my brother!

fuck off!

neither Linda is as black or white as you think.

no Linda's are.

Mrs. Bukowski, I know the difference. It's my opinion based in part on the Bukowski tapes, especially what Hank says the episode he kicked her on the couch.

I didn't get that at all from that segment. Bukowski was drunk and took exception to the fact that Linda liked to go out with her friends and do stuff, as young women often do. When she challenged him on it, he got pissed off and kicked her. It seemed to me that he had an old-fashioned view of women-as-property which was amplified by liquor.

I can't see how, based on that one little segment, you could draw that conclusion. I mean, it may even be true, but there's certainly no evidence to that effect in that segment of the Bukowski Tapes.

Women as property? Like a sofa? I would like to explore that idea, but who writes as many lines about a sofa as Buk did about women?

I know in past history women were considered property - but I am not sure Buk really felt that way. As I have a very low IQ enlighten me.

I can't see how, based on that one little segment, you could draw that conclusion. I mean, it may even be true, but there's certainly no evidence to that effect in that segment of the Bukowski Tapes.

Agreed.

JimmyLane, to base your statement on that one video clip makes your entire argument suspect. Perhaps that clip gave you the germ of an idea about Linda Lee Bukowski. But you haven't offered anything beyond that we may take as concrete evidence.

I saw the segment you speak of in "Born Into This," I believe. It looked to me like Buk was drunk and spouting off. And Linda was just letting him vent and not doing or saying anything to make him more violent.

You would get a better idea of how she was as a younger woman by reading the character based on her in "Women."

Criticizing me for having a filthy mouth is quite ironical coming from a person participating on a website devoted to Bukowski. :rolleyes: I'll be on my way in that case, let me know. Other than that, I'm not here to joust with you fellows and your cutting remarks. Let's leave it there.

How fucking original of you.

For once, I'd love a troll to come at us with something original instead of the same tired, old material....

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Bill

is there a forum fauna for that yet? the `"1st amendment crusader" or something - someone who comes in and makes a wildly absurd statement and then *GASP* can't believe that people call him out for being a dick.

ahhh - the dissident!

should've checked first. those threads were funny when first written, but even moreso now when people come to the forum and somehow magically CONFORM EXACTLY TO THEIR FAUNA TYPE.

Yeah that's it, people called me out. I'll be sure to submit my work to your chancepress and that other rag, bospress. :rolleyes:

And know that I'll be visiting your bedroom soon to take a shit on the back of your neck.

Now, now! No sexual fantasies, please!

Second thought, Billy, I'm staying.

Another empty promise. You can't trust nobody nowadays...

True. To think that that other fish cunt who called me a troll thought he had provoked me to leave, as if he were the one who'd said something original. On second thought, I'll submit to your press but definitely not his.

Okay, let's address the Bukowski couch kicking episode more closely and you decide whether this lays the basis for Linda being a pig or not.
-----------

To the charge that she was out every night like his Jan, she says:

"I don't want you to give these people the impression that I'm out every night."

Bukowski plays along momentarily, but goes on to say:

"You know what a hunk of phoney shit you are?...I hate liars...you lied right into their faces you cunt...(just then? she says...I did not!) you were out five nights in a row last weekend...you came in 5:30 one night, 3:30 the other, the night before last you came in 2:01am!"

She says,

"I invited you along...Come and understand what I need to do in my life and it's not bad iand and it's not against you..."

He replies:

"The month of May you were out 15 nights past midnight."

She laughs.

"It's true," he says. "The calendar is marked."

She laughs, says: "So what?!"

"I do live with other people and will for the rest of my life!"
-
-
-
And Bukowski kicked her for the filthy pig she was.

i'm glad they didn't ban him before we got one of the best memes we've gotten in a while... "filthy pig" is right up there with "bon't try" in my book.

One wonders sometimes where it went wrong with boys like Jimmy.
I guess all the anger and/or agression needs to be virtually released- or so.
I truly feel sorry for him.

so you're saying she's a filthy pig for going out past midnight 15 nights in one month?

Yes, she was not only living with and planning to marry Bukowski at the time she was going out 15 nights in one month, but she was also declaring how she'd planned to live with other people the rest of her life. C'mon, this is a binge drinking pig.
Bukowski makes clear he wasn't looking for that kind of woman.
Later in life Linda B cleaned up her act and became the dutiful wife Hank always desired. She was a decent human being, that's all. We must refrain from our impulses toward deifying her because a deity she was not.

Seriously though, you sound like you have some real issues with women. Maybe you should talk to a professional about that.

Surely ye jest.

Where are the moderators when you need them :)

I don't see you participating in the dialogue and so take it you have nothing constructive to say. You're a Bukowski fan summoning the mods to ban me. Give this man a drink! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Jimmy, my boss told me to tell nothing constructively.
I need to do my duty you know. I'm sure you'll understand.
And now I need to go again. Cheers. Oh- and long live the dialogue.

Well this is a lively dialogue.

I think JimmyLane is in a particular minority, although he is entitled to his opinion and his own understanding of the material, be it what he saw in the Bukowski Tapes or something else.

Personally, I disagree with his characterisation of Linda B. In particular I think he has misunderstood what she meant when saying she planned on living with other people for the rest of her life. I don't believe she meant she wanted an open relationship or anything, just that she like to spend time seeing her friends and had realised that Bukowski was inclined to rather stay at home by himself, except for the time he liked to spend at the track, which even then was a solitary exercise for him. Anyway, as hooch said neither Linda is as black and white etc, and yes, as someone else said, see Women.

Anyway, on Linda - Bukowski said (and this was before the Tapes were filmed)
'the outsides are not bad but the insides are so excellent it would make you weep in your dreams.'

True love indeed.

Yeah that's it, people called me out. I'll be sure to submit my work to your chancepress and that other rag, bospress. :rolleyes:

I have a thick skin, JimiLayne. You will have to do better than that.

Billy

rag 1 (rg)
n.
a. A scrap of cloth.
b. A piece of cloth used for cleaning, washing, or dusting.
2. rags Threadbare or tattered clothing.
3. Cloth converted to pulp for making paper.
4. A scrap; a fragment.
5. Slang A newspaper, especially one specializing in sensationalism or gossip.
6. The stringy central portion and membranous walls of a citrus fruit.
Idiom:
on the rag Vulgar Slang
1. Menstruating.
2. Irritable; grouchy.
[Middle English ragge, from Old English *ragg, from Old Norse *rägg, woven tuft of wool.]

True. To think that that other fish cunt who called me a troll thought he had provoked me to leave, as if he were the one who'd said something original. On second thought, I'll submit to your press but definitely not his.

And Bukowski kicked her for the filthy pig she was.

More and more, it's looking like you started this argument just to see who you could piss off. And that you're feeding on that.

It's like breaking windows to hear the crash. Grow up and pay attention, Jimmy. It's one thing to stir up some shit but to be so far off base and just plain wrong. Go piss on the Michael Bolton forum or the Barry Manilow fan club chat room.

I'm all for a good argument. But it needs to have a good foundation to stand up to criticism. JimmyLane's is not such an argument.

Hank's personal life...

Yes, she was not only living with and planning to marry Bukowski at the time she was going out 15 nights in one month, but she was also declaring how she'd planned to live with other people the rest of her life.

I wish to participate in a dialogue and say something constructive. I don't know what Linda Lee meant when she stated that she would "live with other people the rest of her life". What about Bukowski after the move to San Pedro? Was he getting any on the side? Was he even interested in some "on-the-side-action"? There's a letter to Linda King in the early 80's where he expresses love and maybe even some lust for her that I saw on the PBA Galleries web-site a few years back.

Some more questions: Bukowski has never written about his getting a driver's license. Did he send in two boxtops and 5 bucks, or did he actually sit down for the test?

Has Buk written anything about his wedding? THE WEDDING book has great photos, are there any thoughts, poems, predictions or lamentations in it?

I'm trying real hard to be civil.

Looks like I missed all the fun. Whilst moderately amusing in small doses I think Jimmy's just an attention whore. He was probably typing left-handed when he got a few bites.

I'm ok with being insulted, if it is warranted. I have done enough on this forum to be insulted and rightly so. Plus, I'm not the owner or moderator. It is all fair. I'm a big boy. The issue is that he appeared to have come here to stir up trouble. It is fine to not like Linda Lee. She is fair game. The issue was that he was just attacking her to toy with us. The goal was to pit the Bukowski defenders against each others and cause discord. Then he started insulting people and asking to be banned, while claiming that he was being oppressed (see: the dissident).

Read all of his posts. I saw one that was not a troll posting. All of the other ones were done to get a reaction.

We are very welcoming to many new members here (even though Poptop thinks that we are cruel to all new members), but when someone comes here and tried to shit on our necks, they are dealt with. These trolls are not hard to pick out as they all use the same tactics. Not really an original bone in their bodies...

Bill

p.s. He called BoSP and Chance Press "Rags", which is meant as an insult, but it is funny. Like what we put out or not (again, what we publish is not for everyone), but calling our presses "rags" (which means gossipy, cheap newspapers) is like calling us "plaid" or "off-orange". It just makes no sense. Maybe that was the thing that he thought would hurt me the most, but I thought that it was funny. Maybe I'll use it on my website.

Didn't want to put you on the spot but I've read enough of your posts to know your good folk (there's many here). Now mjp on the other hand, if he's insulted he's on his own.

In her younger years she was a drunk, foul mouthed pig, but she had as much of a need for a home and cat as he did. Also, she knew how to deal with his bullshit while tormenting the hell out of him with her own. True love, you see.

I knew Linda slightly in late 69-early 70, five or six years before she met Buk. We both hung out at the Pough & Stars in Cambridge and chatted ocassionlly. (She may have worked at the Plough but I'm not sure). I'd describe her as smart, tough, sometimes sweet, and very attractive -- not a pig, certainly not a drunk, and no more foul-mouthed than others in that milieu.

Linda's description of herself in the Mike Watt interview is an accurate depiction of the Linda I knew back in the day. Judging her character by the short clip in the film and tapes is unsubstantiated bullshit.

Hi Gurry,
I don;t think that even JamiLynne believes what he says. He is what they call a troll. His only reason for being here was to create strife. He could care less about Bukowski. It is all the fun of fucking with people. On many forums, they let this kind of assplay happen and it causes problems.

At buknet they are removed. Maybe now he can find a Sylvia Plath forum where he can say that Ted Hughes was a pedophile.

Bill

Gurry: thanks for posting about Linda. What you say rings true. Two posts only and I know you're no troll or bullshitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back