• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Lousy Mail, a name for 2 different poems?! (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
Has anyone here bought from this guy?
(Bluepoetdog)
I just 'won' Lousy Mail (the original manuscript/poem)
From him.
He got it from Scott Harrison.

His item didn't come with a picture,
(says he was having computer issues, totally understandable)
And that's why I think?! I got a deal,
(But man, anyway, this is a horrible time for sellers, very good for buyers...:>(I'm going broke!))

So after I 'won' I sent him a page of the manuscript/poem
From the very valuable database here,
And said, "So verify, is this it?"

"No," was the reply,
And he sent me a scan of the one I won....
Completely Different

Does anyone know if there are 2 different poems with this same title?
Lousy Mail

lousy mail in betting on the muse is different from the one in the manuscript section here. it starts "drinking up here, looking out at the lights of...".

Shit,
It's not that one either.
This one begins->

The time comes when the tank runs
Empty and you have to have a
Refill.

I'll try to paste it here somehow,
Damn it,
And he's offering me another one,
8 counts (about Bastille Day)
Dated the same 7-15-92
Shit, when did he die?

(I shouldn't think out loud and type :>)
(like drinking and driving, oh, never mind)
Thanks Mr Hoochmonkey

there are four "lousy mail" entries:
1) lousy mail - manuscript
[unpublished] - 1985

2) lousy mail
long shot Vol. 14 - 1993

3) Lousy Mail
Betting on the Muse - pg. 294 - 1996

4) lousy mail
Come On In 47

I just looked at the Come On In! lousy mail, and it starts the way your newly acquired manuscript does.
mystery solved...

HI,
That listing scared me a bit. Any time someone refuses to use Paypal and insists on a check or money order, it leaves you no recourse, if they scam you. Plus with no picture it seemed odd... I bid on it, but was still VERY nervous that thre was something fishy... Unless that seller is on this list. If so, announce it! BE proud!

Bill

Totally off topic, but I refrain from bidding if they 1) don't take PayPal, 2) will not post a pic of the item and 3) hide the identities of the other bidders. Hiding bidders' identities always makes me feel that there's some shill bidding going on. There's an outfit called Flatsigned that I am highly suspect of for that reason.

nymark said:
There's an outfit called Flatsigned that I am highly suspect of for that reason.
I have the same feeling about these guys...and some of their signatures look fake. (I think we're talking about the same sellers)

HI,
I've always been amazed by (deleted) and (deleted), but have never thought that there was a problem. I have never bought, but have bid on a few things. I though that he was pretty reputable... hmmm... nymark would know more than me as he has probably had more dealings...

Bill

I'm sure that, in reality, there is no problem with Tim Miller. His feedback speaks for itself. I'm not sure, however, why you find him amazing. Is it because the amount of product that he moves? What do you mean by that?

I have an unfounded creepy feeling that this guy is not totally on the up and up. His auction listings are full of self-congratulations and boasting and you have to scroll down before you actually find any useful information about the item being sold. He is a nauseating huckster and strictly amateur hour. The top tier auction houses would never conduct their business in the same down-on-the-farm manner in which he does.

Hi,
I was not clear. I meant that he seems to have an amazing collection. I also thought that he was a member of a couple groups that watch these sort of things. Of corse, many of them may turn a blind eye... Now I need to recheck out his listings...

Bill

I've purchased a couple of things from flatsigned with no problems other than the condition of one item being slightly overstated (he called it mint and it was about near fine).

I've never entirely understood it, but Miller is intensely disliked by booksellers... partly because he's considered dishonest and unprofessional, and partly because he coined the term "flatsigned" -- a term that didn't exist in the bookselling world until Tim Miller started using it (apparently booksellers don't like having people add words to their dictionary... especially when they're made-up by someone who's viewed with contempt). He also has a reputation for threatening lawsuits if you speak badly of him in a public forum.

Do a search for flatsigned on rec.collecting.books and you'll find the continuing thread(s) about him which have been going on for years now.

Hi,
His listings seem oddly overpriced, but he has many bids. You may be right that there is something not on the level that is driving these up....

Bill

p.s. I just altered my previous post to keep from being sued!

It's interesting to hear that there are others out there who have the same ill impression of him that I do. I was not aware of that. I thought my dislike for him was a solitary action and born in my own head without reason along with all the other dark thoughts rattling around in there. My opinion was formed of my own volition without any encouragement from anyone in the book world. Since it's not just me, he must be doing something wrong. He posts some very nice books, but I steer clear of his auctions.

Well, this is an interesting thread, because I have always found his listings to be weird too. But I also couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

Wow,
It's funny watching this thread drive.....
Where the hell are we now?! :>

Anyway,
I've bought 1 book from Mr Flatsigned,
(Jose Canseco's Tell-All)
And I'm happy with it.

Really, I kind of appreciate the term flat-signed;
I bought one book that was listed as signed
And it arrived un-flatsigned :>
But with a tucked in signed book plate (terminology?) in place.

It's supposed to mean signed in the book with no additional inscriptions. Some collectors don't like to see "To Sally..." in their book when their name is Fred.

zoom man said:
Really, I kind of appreciate the term flat-signed;
I bought one book that was listed as signed
And it arrived un-flatsigned :>
But with a tucked in signed book plate (terminology?) in place.

A seller should always state if the signature is on a bookplate. Lately quite a few "Signed" Hunter Thompson books have come on the market that are actually signed on a bookplate. These bookplates were issued for a couple of his later titles and sellers pull them out of those books and put them into earlier, more valuable titles. IMO, if you receive a book that was sold as signed and it arrives with a signed bookplate instead, that's pretty good grounds to return the book and get your money back.

chronic said:
IMO, if you receive a book that was sold as signed and it arrives with a signed bookplate instead, that's pretty good grounds to return the book and get your money back.

MO2

I was all excited to get a 1st edition, 1st printing of a signed Vampire Lestat and lo and behold,
I get the beautiful book
Open it up
And have a damned bookplate drop to the floor.

Yeah, I was pissed,.....
E-mailed the seller-> they said go ahead, spend the $ and send the book back
And we'll give you credit.
Fuck that, I just put them in my little book of sellers-not-to-buy-from

That would make a fine thread, who not to buy from,....

zoom man said:
E-mailed the seller-> they said go ahead, spend the $ and send the book back
And we'll give you credit.
Fuck that, I just put them in my little book of sellers-not-to-buy-from
Since they misrepresented the book they should have assumed all costs. In a perfect world...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back