Makes me cry (1 Viewer)

D

dolittle2x

Yeah, real un-manly thread-name,
But honest,
I think my fav Buk poems make me cry...
(and every damned time I read them,
And sometimes I think that's why I re-read them:o )
His,
Mostly,
For the beauty of the language
(Like P.G W,... you either get (or better, appreciate) it or you don't)
(but One For the Old Boy... subject matter (then simplicity) first)
But honest,
I'd love to know if anyone here has that cry-openly gene..
And what makes you cry.

ie.
"Don DeLillo's brooding 9/11 novel ends with the image of a shirt coming down out of the sky, falling from the twin towers,
"arms waving like nothing in this life."'
I think that's a beautiful line, and it makes me cry.

And dig this, from the same book
"The dead were everywhere, in the air, in the rubble, on rooftops nearby, in the breezes that carried from the river. They were settled in ash and drizzled on windows all along the streets, in his hair and on his clothes."

Ok, subject matter, subject matter,
(But DeLillo is one of our best novelists, I think)
But,
Any1 else?,..
Any1 as goofy as me,
Letting words make you cry?

If so, please, share with an example...
(and Jesus, I'm a goof-ball,
I mean, some ads make me cry)
I've always got tissues near by.

(BTW->I was an 'almost' famous actor,
my best attribute?!,
easily producing those 'cry on demand' tears that us
wannabe actors need to shed...)

Wilma Elizabeth McDaniel 1918-2007

Yeah, well, two things came to mind. A passage from Carson McCullers' The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and a poem by Okie poet Wilma Elizabeth McDaniel.

I was hoping to find the McDaniel poem on the net so I wouldn't have to copy it slowly. Instead I found that she had passed away a month ago at age 88. A real, solid connection to the dust bowl and the transplanted peoples of The Grapes of Wrath gone. But she wrote her own stories.

A quote from one of the obits:

"Poetry is not a joke," she once said. "People write a lot of trash nowadays. People consider it very, very good, but it all sounds alike. It's high, academic, philosophical, but it doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't tell me who I am, what I'm doing here."

I've only a few books by her. A year or so ago I came across A Prince Albert Wind in a Seattle bookstore and it made my five hour round trip there worthwhile. I remember writing a letter to the late Marvin Malone after another W.E. McDaniel chapbook arrived in the mail and telling him, upon seeing it, I had punched the air like I was watching the game and the right team had scored.

The poem, copied slowly, with all sorts of tears

Discipline

Sister Flossie Hicks sang snatches of
"I Will Meet You In The Morning"
which she had not

sung in years
and was pricking the crust for a lemon
pie
when the phone rang with a message

from the Highway Patrol
kind and very precise
ending the life that she had joined

herself to during the Great Depression
Ada, Oklahoma 1930

working with the discipline of those
many years
she baked the crust
filled it yellow-high and piled a

cloud of meringue on top that reached
the thunderheads
she and Coy used to watch from a window
with four broken panes

Thanks for sharing Digney in Burn,
I'm definitely going to have to look up Miss Wilma.

And Rubyred,
Tears started to well right up as I read that short story.
Raymond Carver is one of our best,
And I have that story
in some collection
in some box
somewhere :>

the book itself didn't make me cry, but when i saw kerouac's "On the Road" manuscript, i was definitely moved to tears. to be in the presence of something so immense, of words that had been handled with such passion and punched into the paper...whether you love it or hate it...the manuscript is a work of art both verbally and visually...

that and some of waller's essays. my mother recommended "Romance" to me because she said it reminded her of me...reading it with that in mind caused me to mist over a bit.

much of what michael writes makes me teary. and blush. and laugh.

there was another one that made me cry recently, but i can't remember which one...standby...

"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. It doesn't make me cry exactly, but I can't help but choke up a bit every single time I read it.

When I'm in the bathroom and catch the zipper .....never mind.

Seriously, two short stories does it for me. "The Maledection" by Tennesee Williams and one by Oscar Wilde "The Happy Prince."

And there's a passage in Big Sur by Kerouac that does it for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back