Man Alive (1 Viewer)

Hello.

This is really the first time I've done anything like this. I'm 45 and work as a security guard at a big old art museum. I discovered Mr. Bukowski when I was about 16 or 17 via the Rolling Stone interview of that general time period. I lived in a small disgusting town but they had an ok bookstore - so I ordered the only book they could get of his - "Burning...Drowning". That did it. I was, as they say, whoever the hell they is, hooked. I had a chance to read through a copy of "Crucifix" from LouJon one time and that may be my Bukowski high light. I just saw "Factotum" and thought it was very, very bad. Talked to the producer who seemed a little dumb. Well, that's just how it seemed. I ramble now. Just thought I'd drop a line. I really do enjoy this site (especially the manuscripts of unpublished poems). You guys are doing some real important work. Thank you for the forum.

I had a chance to read through a copy of "Crucifix" from LouJon one time and that may be my Bukowski high light.
Why not tell us more about this accomplishment! Where, when and how for example...:) Was it a library copy?

Thank you all. As far as the "Crucifix" goes, a friend of a girlfriend loaned it to me for a week or so. I fell in love with that book and almost offered to buy it from her. But I thought, "Man, I don't want to bother her with that." I mean, I'm not really a big consumer - I don't really understand money, so I let it slide. It was so great to have that book and leisurely examine it. I read every page. That was in 1989, I guess.

If no one has ever seen the Rolling Stone article (I believe Paul McCartney was on the cover), I think I've spoitted it some where out there on the web. Sorry, I can't be more specific.

Thanks again.

"Liberries"

Why not tell us more about this accomplishment! Where, when and how for example...:) Was it a library copy?

I am surprised to see 9 volumes of Buk in my community library system, including some of his raw early stuff such as Notes... and Ejaculations..., plus some posthumous editions I have plans to get into. I am also delighted to be able to do the book search on-line at home, unshaven and debauched, and put books on hold and then have them sent to the library pick-up right around the corner from the upholstered shoe-box I live in. One can't buy every fekken volume that comes along for want of space or finances, even one by the B.; so this kind of availability is an unexpected delight. Liberry report over and out.

Poptop

yes, indeed - expensive. i have however started to buy some collectors stuff - just recently i found "the day it snowed in l.a."; wormwood - "legs, hips and behind..."; "three by bukwoski"; "a new year's greeting from black sparrow" 1983. i also have a signed "pulp" 1st edition hardback and the letters book between him and martinelli - with the bukwoski seriograph numbered 336. have a couple other wormwood chaps too. thats about it as far as collectors stuff goes. anyway - gives me something to do.

Paul B. -- I enjoyed your story. That's what makes this Forum great -- people from all backgrounds coming together with a common enthuisasm for Bukowski's genius. Being a guard in an art museum gives you something in common with Bukowski. His father was a museum guard, if I recall. I don't think you'll regret buying the collector items. They give you far more than the dollars would have, and they keep on giving. If it ever grows old, you can sell them, and probably for a profit if you wait long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back