Midwest rain and a dream of Alaska (1 Viewer)

I found Buk when I was drunk and dangerous. He meant a lot to me at that time of my life, perhaps 25 years ago. I was living in LA and trying to figure out how I could scare a rich attractive women into marrying me and making my life all about beach days and Porsches. I grew up in the South in the ages of coke and women, hedonism and self doubt. Moving to LA was meant to be an extrication of myself from the sticky muck of my drug addicted and alcoholic life in Atlanta. What I found was a woman and a way of life, though not quite sober, but more along the lines of staying out of jail and making an honest living at something that I could be proud of.

I bought books from Red at Baroque Books in Hollywood, and a bunch of Black Sparrow stuff. I will be offering it up for sale as I am now a father, and next summer will take my then 14 yr old son on a bike trip from Prudhoe Bay to Anchorage ~ a coming of age experience for the two of us.

I would never minimize the effect that Charles had on my life. Many of his writings I identified with and they helped me to recognize that my emotions and thoughts weren't necessarily wrong or outrageous; just appropriate for that time in my life and development. Times have changed, I have changed, and it's now about moving on and living a different life.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to passing on these treasures to others that will appreciate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back