Mitch Mitchell dead. (1 Viewer)

1fsh2fsh

I think that I think too much
Founding member
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience's drummer Mitch Mitchell was found dead in a downtown Portland hotel Wednesday.

The Multnomah County Medical Examiner's office said 61-year-old Mitch Mitchell likely died of natural causes. His body was found just after 3 a.m. at the Benson Hotel.

Mitchell along with bass players Noel Redding and Billy Cox backed Hendrix for the generation defining sounds of his electrified psychedelic blues. The Experience played behind Hendrix at Woodstock and the Isle of Wight festivals in the late 1960s.

Hendrix died in 1970, Redding died in 2003. Mitchell was with the group from 1966-69.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guitar player played a year in a band in L.A. 10 years ago. Great drummer and now all three of the original Jimi Henrix Experience are gone.

Listen to "Third Stone From The Sun"
and check out Mitchell's work on that shit !

a cymbal ride with unbelievable fills underneath
very slick and very jazz-influenced
incredibly tight snare rolls...

at least he made it to 61 yrs. !

R.I.P.
Mitch Mitchell

A friend of mine worked with Mitchell in the studio for a few days back in the late 80's, and he said that Mitchell told him many of the older recordings that Hendrix and the Experience did were done somewhat backward. That is, guitar first, then bass (played by Hendrix), drums, overdubs, etc.

If you're not familiar with the modern recording process, that's just not how it's done. You always start with the drums and bass and build on that. But once I heard that they did it backwards, a lot of those recordings kind of made more sense. They way the drums play around and between the guitar and bass much of the time rather than anchoring everything.

Anyway, Mitchell could swing! And that is the most important thing for a musician of any flavor.

One of Mitch Mitchell's main influence was the jazz player Elvin Jones.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience released 3 albums:
Are You Experienced in 1967, Axis:Bold as Love in 1967,Electric Ladyland in 1968,
Mitchell continued palying with Hendrix until his death in 1970,
and later played in the band Ramatam.
Worked with Eddie Kramer in completing the albums The Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Then with Experience Hendrix, the company founded by Hendrix's father, in promulgating the Hendrix legend.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=jiMu_ZSbKn4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back