my dad was close friend and dermatologist to charles bukowski (1 Viewer)

I remember meeting Mr. Bukowski as a kid on a number of occasions. Started to read some of his books and just discovered this forum! Have a number of his books inscribed to my dad.

that's funny. I know a German dermatologist, who has written a couple of articles about Bukowskis skin-deseases (as well as his literatured relation to skin-parasites like fleas, pubic louse, etc).

Well that's certainly not something everyone can say. You should show us those books.

I take it this was near the end of his life? I can't see him needing the services of a dermatologist until then. When you say close friends are we talking about dinner at the house every couple months, or seeing him in his office?

Bukowski may have visited a dermatologist as a teenager, when he was suffering from acne vulgaris. Could this be the same doctor?

It's a nice thought, but seems unlikely Rekrab given the timespan, if Matt met him as a kid that would be in the late Seventies+ presumably.
Certainly for his dad to receive inscribed copies of Bukowski's books also.

Bukowski doesn't really specify seeing a dermatologist in Ham on Rye, he attends LA County General and refers to seeing the doctor a few times, but mostly the nurse.

Although he does mention his father didn't like to see doctors he "had to pay for" he did on one occasion send Hank to a doctor you had to pay for (perhaps a dermatologist) but he saw him only once and thought the visit to be useless.

Reach for the Sun, to William Packard, sometime in May, 1988:
I am in the skin cancer game now. Got this dermatologist, jolly fellow, he burns lumps off with a hot little torch, tells me, "It's like arc welding. Same principle."
He tells me of the biopsy reports: "Lucky we got that fucker."
"Hell," I say, playing macho, "could be worse, what?"
"Oh yeah, of all types of cancer, say ABCD, you've got the least, I'd rather have yours."
"I'd rather you had it too, doc."
:DD

Yeah, I wondered if the timing was wrong. If Matt was in his 70s, then his dad could have treated Buk in the late 1930s. But that's a stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back