My favorite Buk books of the moment (1 Viewer)

jddougher

Founding member
I am savoring this one: The captain is out to lunch. I provide the link because I already have a copy and your storming Amazon won't affect me. :wb:

I just love reading Buk's "diary" from 1991. It's such a rare treasure, especially knowing that he died just a few years later. I hate the fact that it's so short, though. Knowing this makes me put the book down frequently, not wanting to finish it too quickly. Are there any other books like this?

The other one I'm really grooving on: The night torn mad with footsteps

Holy cow, what a bunch of gems.

What are your favorites of the moment?

Stupidly, many years ago, I sold my entire Buk collection. Now I'm repurchasing all of those books. Unfortunately, they are all put out by Ecco now. Kind of a bummer, since the feel of the covers is just not the same. I get the hardbacks whenever I can, but usually these are not available at a reasonable price.

I still have a couple of written interviews with Buk that have never seen the light of day. I'm going to release them. I'm just not sure how best to do it.

Long ago, Gargoyle published a condensed version of the interview I did with Carl Weissner, Bukowski's German translator and friend. I never really got over being pissed about how that was published, since the editor of Gargoyle for some egotistical reason decided to attribute all of my questions to "G," meaning Gargoyle, the name of the magazine. Imagine this: You spend literally months interviewing Weissner (in Germany, where he lived), typing up the results, going back and forth with him about what gets released, giving one particular magazine the option to publish this exclusively, and then that magazine, in essence, writes you out of the credit! Disgusting. Bukowski was so right when he railed against the literary establishment or wannabes, most of them being self-aggrandizing slugs.

Hopefully the editor of that magazine reads this and apologizes. It was a really crappy thing to do to (at that time) a starving student trying to build a name for himself. Heck, my name on that interview was barely visible, thanks to the design. I did not do that interview "for Gargoyle," nor did I give "paycock press" or Richard Peabody the right to attribute my questions to "Gargoyle." I was never asked about this, and I was completely stunned when I saw "G" on the questions rather than my own name.

And guess what I got from Gargoyle for that interview? Contributor's copies! LOL.

I'm sure Bukowski himself could have written a few choice poems about that editor.

Getting ready to publish some add-on interviews from the one I published on PoetryCircle, by the way. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I am savoring this one: The captain is out to lunch. Are there any other books like this?
No, unfortunately, unless you count the letters collections. But I think those are much more revealing than The Captain.

The other one I'm really grooving on: The night torn mad with footsteps

Holy cow, what a bunch of gems.
You might want to proceed with caution on that one.

I still have a couple of written interviews with Buk that have never seen the light of day. I'm going to release them. I'm just not sure how best to do it.
Maybe on the most popular Bukowski web site in the world? Just a thought. ;) More people will read them here than in any print publication.

Right now I'm reading "Beerspit Night and Cursing," but I'm having a major issue reading Sheri Martinelli's letters. The way she types.

I agree about The Captain. I read it about once a year. I enjoy his day to day activities. As mundane as they may be at times, I still enjoy it.

Thank you for recommending Beerspit. I have avoided that, worrying that "correspondence" will be somehow inferior. How silly that notion is, though! Correspondence is the best! I think, really, I'm jealous that it was not correspondence with me or someone I knew that is in that book. I'm ordering it now. Thanks again!

Hey, what's up with the Bukowski hardbacks? Are hardbacks simply not made that much any more?

No, unfortunately, unless you count the letters collections. But I think those are much more revealing than The Captain.
Letters collections. Other than beerspit, what are they? I'm gathering all the buk books these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to find:
  1. Screams from the Balcony. Selected Letters 1960-1970; 1993
  2. Living on Luck, Selected Letters 1960s-1970s, Volume 2; 1995
  3. Reach for the Sun, Selected Letters 1978-1994, Volume 3; 1999
Not as easy to find, and some folks don't rank this as highly as the three above (I still think it's a good read):

The Bukowski/Purdy Letters, 1964-1974; 1983

Holy cow. Thank you. These are not "easy to find" on Amazon. But perhaps now they are. My "queue" is filling up.

I just hate it when the "paperback" is $13.15 and the "hardcover" is $65.00, minimum. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drastic difference is likely due to the fact that the hardcovers are Black Sparrow versions. HarperCollins/Ecco does not make hardcovers of any of the Black Sparrow titles (and I don't think they reprinted the letters volumes, even in paperback).

But if you think those prices are high, wait until you search for a hardcover edition of The Bukowski/Purdy Letters.

One more letters collection we forgot to mention, Los Angeles - Andernach, Letters to uncle Heinrich.

Last edited:
I don't know about their availability in the U.S, but Virgin Books released 4 volumes of letters in paperback in the U.K a few years ago, covering all the letters from Screams from the Balcony, Living on Luck and Reach for the Sun. They're simply called Charles Bukowski Selected Letters, Volumes 1 to 4. Readable alternatives if you can pick them up cheap.

Yes - I found all four of those Virgin books of letters at a used bookstore here in MA for $6 each. This provides me with three tiers of the letters:
  1. Collectible copies
  2. Reading copies
  3. Bathroom reading copies
They show up on ebay fairly often, although not at that price.

Actually, on ebay right now, just search "Charles Bukowski selected letters" and you can find all three as BSP and/or Harper/Collins (no mention of ecco) ranging from $10-$17 each.

Last edited:
HarperCollins/Ecco does not make hardcovers of any of the Black Sparrow titles (and I don't think they reprinted the letters volumes, even in paperback).
Just for the record: Ecco did reprint the letters volumes in paperback, at least the first two (Screams from the Balcony and Living on Luck), I have those.

I get Bukowski's stuff mostly through The Book Depository and (oddly enough) the copy of Reach for the Sun they sent me had been published by the BSP (14 years ago!). That was the first time I had one of the BSP paperbacks in my hands and I finally understood why some people at this forum were complaining about the quality of Ecco paperbacks so much.

JM might have been a bastard for mangling Buk's poetry posthumously, but he sure knew how to make quality books.

JM [...] sure knew how to make quality books.
Yes he did.

And the Italians also used to say that Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Of course I'm not equating Martin to Mussolini. That would be ridiculous. Mainly because Mussolini had the courage of his convictions.

When I read that JM sure knew how to make quality books, my first thought was "mjp will have something interesting to say about that" and I was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back