• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

My friend has 3 manuscripts to sell (The Unofficial Cornelis Vreeswijk thread) (2 Viewers)

There's been one on Ebay for Buy It Now $1,000 or Best Offer for a long time (gone now). Could have been the same book, with the seller trying a different approach. He rejected a $600 offer from me 2 months ago. Given the recent auction results though, I'm surprised it even went as far as $799 to be honest.

David, my friend has 3 unpublished manuscripts from the 60's and he is looking for a buyer

Since they are unpublished, its difficult to scan them and "publish them", the value will go down.
however i think he got them authenticated by an auction. The only way he'll deal with buyers is directly and he lives near Culver City.
He's not looking very hard, eh? :rolleyes:
and why is that?

Since they are unpublished, its difficult to scan them and "publish them", the value will go down.
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Maybe he doesn't want to scan them because he doesn't want to learn that they aren't unpublished, or aren't genuine.
The only way he'll deal with buyers is directly and he lives near Culver City.
While I'm sure he can eventually sell them to someone face to face in Los Angeles (after signing a non-disclosure agreement and meeting in the back of an unmarked van, I assume), he's kind of limiting the potential price he can realize by doing that.

Making them known - publicizing them - only exposes them to a larger audience, in effect making them more valuable.

That's what :eek: meant. I was just being lazy. Certainly too lazy to fly all the way across country to verify some manuscripts that I could verify via email. Or here.

If your friend bought them in the last 10 years, it is likely that we already know about them and may already have scans. If not, then the authenticity can be questionable. How did he get them? What are the titles?

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Maybe he doesn't want to scan them because he doesn't want to learn that they aren't unpublished, or aren't genuine.
While I'm sure he can eventually sell them to someone face to face in Los Angeles (after signing a non-disclosure agreement and meeting in the back of an unmarked van, I assume), he's kind of limiting the potential price he can realize by doing that.

Making them known - publicizing them - only exposes them to a larger audience, in effect making them more valuable.
Well is up to him scan them and send it, I'm sure if one of you guys would have manuscripts you will definitely share them So everybody can read them and enjoy them. The auction house authenticated them (bonhams) and offer him to place them for auction And estimated 1500-2000$ apiece, but the market is down now. Any expert in the Bukowski writing will have no problem to confirm they are the real thing

What are you talking about "in the back of an unmarked van" you are watching too many Katherine bigelow's movies There are hundreds of pieces of memorabilia out there and people can meet at a notaries' office to certify the sell. I don't know what kind of crowds mjp is used to frequent but these "back of an unmarked van" people Doesn't fit our business expectations....dude
John, my friend, has 2 unkown movies from the 60's and he is looking to watch them with a stranger.
Hey Linda Lovelace started making movies in the 70's and you might still find those kind of theaters to watch movies with strangers and once inside you can tap tap and some nice guy with butter boy will approach you
That's what :eek: meant. I was just being lazy. Certainly too lazy to fly all the way across country to verify some manuscripts that I could verify via email. Or here.
Sure, then you will send a cashiers check by FedEx and instead of let's say 1500$ you will send 1750$ by mistake And he will have to send you $250 back right?

Well is up to him scan them and send it, I'm sure if one of you guys would have manuscripts you will definitely share them
So everybody can read them and enjoy them.

You can enjoy some (many) Bukowski manuscripts here. The link found at the top of this page, right in the middle.

He's not looking very hard, eh? :rolleyes:

and why is that?

I think you answered your own question:
The only way he'll deal with buyers is directly and he lives near Culver City.

Although really I was referring to this site and its 4,000 plus members worldwide who might be interested in buying the manuscripts. Say 'hi' to your pal for us.

Also, it sounds from what you have said above that your friend may believe that if the poems are unpublished then they are worth more to him financially because he is perhaps under the impression that he now owns the rights to publish the poems. That's not the case. The rights to publish the content remain with the author's estate, regardless of the current published status of the works.

Regardless of the state of the market the best price would still no doubt be realised at auction, such as via Bonhams as you mention, although he will lose quite a chunk of the profit to the auction house for their premiums.

It would be nice to see at least part of the manuscripts though, perhaps a nice clear photo of the top half of each sheet, to whet our appetites...

Be Lucky!

Hank Solo is 100% right. This is a common error that people make. Owning the original manuscript gives you no more rights to publish it than anyone else out there. Any buyer who thinks that they can publish these poems by buying them would be wrong and if they went through with it would be sued by the estate.

Also, if someone told him that they could get $1500 - $2000 they were lying to him. At the PEAK, it would have been possible, but tough. There were only two buyers in the world that were paying that kind of money, and both have stopped buying anything. Nowadays, he would probably get $400 - $800 (if they are truly 60's poems and are signed), and Bonham's would take their 15% cut from that (plus 20% buyers premium, which most buyers account for when they decide how high to bid.

Finally, Bonham's cannot authenticate them like we can. They may be able to look up a Bukowski signature online and compare it, but we are experts. Our weight holds a lot more weight than Bonham's. I have seen PSA certify a Bukowski autograph that I know was close, but fake. Looked good to the average autograph guy, but not to those of us that have seen thousands of his signatures. Hell, we can even tell you when the manuscript was typed and on what brand typewriter based on small imperfections in the type. Based on that, we can tell you when it would have been typed as we know when Bukowski girlfriend destroyed a certain typewriter and when his publisher bought him another one. Can Bonham's do that for your friend?

Bill

Dr. Bill Roberts-Johnson is right about Hank Solo-Johnson being right! And I'm not giving up my ice cream parlor that I built with these two hands for nothin' or nobody!

Don't you listen to these hucksters Carla. Your friend's tactic is definitely the right one.

Here's an example of the same tactic: The painting SCREAM, by Edvard Munch was hidden from the public eye for over 50 years. Hardly anyone had ever seen it and no one was certain of how it looked. A search for "Scream" + "Munch" gave 11 measly hits on Guggle. When it was finally put on auction it brought in a record breaking bid of 107 million dollars.

Just imagine the opposite: Imagine if the painting was plastered all over the net, in popular culture, stamps, newspapers, movies, cartoons, - you name it. Just imagine. It woudn't have brought in anything close to 107 mill.

So tell your friend to bide his time and keep those manuscripts out of sight under lock and key. Time is definitely on his side.
Every tick of the clock puts a penny on the block.

Carla - for the love of Jesus' last nail run! Most of the people that post here are probably drunk. hoochmonkey9 - his wife works all day so he can stay home all day drawing pictures of Céline and posting here drunk. He's a mod! hank solo is a drunken-savant who wakes up out of his pub-crawl stupors quoting Buk verbatim - he's English and we all know they are a bunch of sots! He's a mod! mjp? He's a punk-reggae burnout - you know damn well they lace their ganja with bourbon. Can we spell b-u-r-n-o-u-t? He's the Admin! Erik is Norwegian, no one cares. Listen to Bill - he's square and honest like Father Knows Best honest.

Don't you listen to these hucksters Carla. Your friend's tactic is definitely the right one.

Here's an example of the same tactic: The painting SCREAM, by Edvard Munch was hidden from the public eye for over 50 years. Hardly anyone had ever seen it and no one was certain of how it looked. A search for "Scream" + "Munch" gave 11 measly hits on Guggle. When it was finally put on auction it brought in a record breaking bid of 107 million dollars.

Just imagine the opposite: Imagine if the painting was plastered all over the net, in popular culture, stamps, newspapers, movies, cartoons, - you name it. Just imagine. It woudn't have brought in anything close to 107 mill.

So tell your friend to bide his time and keep those manuscripts out of sight under lock and key. Time is definitely on his side.
Every tick of the clock puts a penny on the block.
Erik, thank you for your advice!
I appreciate very much your post.
There will be no post or scans of those manuscripts
He knows they are real cause there were authenticated and he
Has a letter from Martin from black sparrow
But may be the market it's not ready to place them on sale
But he might find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price
For them. In the meantime it's a privilege to read loud those poems like we did
In different places in Los Angeles and Miami
They are amazing!
Thanks!

Tha
Carla - for the love of Jesus' last nail run! Most of the people that post here are probably drunk. hoochmonkey9 - his wife works all day so he can stay home all day drawing pictures of Céline and posting here drunk. He's a mod! hank solo is a drunken-savant who wakes up out of his pub-crawl stupors quoting Buk verbatim - he's English and we all know they are a bunch of sots! He's a mod! mjp? He's a punk-reggae burnout - you know damn well they lace their ganja with bourbon. Can we spell b-u-r-n-o-u-t? He's the Admin! Erik is Norwegian, no one cares. Listen to Bill - he's square and honest like Father Knows Best honest.

Thanks! You are sincere and talented, we can tell!

Last edited by a moderator:
Erik, thank you for your advice!
I appreciate very much your post.
There will be no post or scans of those manuscripts
He knows they are real cause there were authenticated and he
Has a letter from Martin from black sparrow
But may be the market it's not ready to place them on sale
But he might find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price
For them. In the meantime it's a privilege to read loud those poems like we did
In different places in Los Angeles and Miami
They are amazing!
Thanks!
I'm sorry, we don't allow people to post their poetry here.

My friend has three of Bukowski's public hairs he grabbed from the urinal at The Frolic Room. He plans to clone them and deliver new Bukowski babies by implanting them in the vaginas of feral cats. I ABSOLUTELY will NOT post pictures of the pubic hairs on this forum, but they have been certified as genuine from my local vet, who does a shit load of meth. Once conceived, I will offer them here before I put them on eBay... Because you fine people will be able to tell if they are genuine Bukowski or Henry Miller shit...

I'm sorry, we don't allow people to post their poetry here.
That's a good one!
My friend has three of Bukowski's public hairs he grabbed from the urinal at The Frolic Room. He plans to clone them and deliver new Bukowski babies by implanting them in the vaginas of feral cats. I ABSOLUTELY will NOT post pictures of the pubic hairs on this forum, but they have been certified as genuine from my local vet, who does a shit load of meth. Once conceived, I will offer them here before I put them on eBay... Because you fine people will be able to tell if they are genuine Bukowski or Henry Miller shit...
Amen!

Spot on! All those professional sellers of Bukowski manuscripts on Ebay simply does'nt know how much they're hurting their own sales by posting photos of the manuscripts. Who would want to buy a Bukowski manuscript when you've already seen a photo of it and read the content? No wonder, the manuscript prices are down to $400-800. I find it odd that the sellers never figured that out and they're supposed to be professionals - ha! They simply don't know how to sell Bukowski manuscripts and make the most money off it despite the fact they've been doing it for decades. I'm sure they could learn a lot from Carla's friend about how to sell Bukowski manuscripts, but what's the use, they probably would'nt listen to him anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
New York had the beats, Los Angeles has the deadbeats, come on people $1500 for a piece of history? Take your Mac to a pawn shop in your west Hollywood area Or get a title loan on your Prius It's a unique opportunity and investment!

You take your perestroika, Trabants and shoddily constructed beanbag chairs and fly your kite up a flagpole, mister!

..., come on people $1500 for a piece of history?

She's absolutely right! What's $1,500.00 to you guys anyway... giving up your Cristal and caviar for one evening? Skipping this weeks poodle grooming? You'd be much better off spending such a trifling amount to find out if the manuscripts are real or not. I'm disappointed in you people.

... and you call yourselves civilized.

Mjp stop stealing lines! Or if you are in the monkey biz steal some money so you can afford $1500! Imagine the pope passing on a bid for Jesus hoody, Or maybe you are in the game for the altar boys! I mean some glory hole In skid row... Who knows! 1500$!!!!

Not really, I just want a Prada purse. But to be honest, I'll be happy with a cheap copy. Just like you guys, you'd be happy with a photocopy Of the manuscripts, don't you?

Carla, you're so devastatingly witty and cutting. This is so easy for you, isn't it -- so effortless and cruel. You are certainly putting us all in our place, you fragrant little bottlerocket!

When your "friend" found you on the mail order bride web site he really got more than he bargained for, didn't he? He thought you would be grateful to come to America, yet now you pout and stomp around the studio apartment whining that you require Prada handbags and non-horsemeat hamburgers. It didn't take long, did it? It's vicious, grey-toothed Eastern Bloc cunts like you that give the whole Internet-girlfriend industry a bad name. You should be ashamed.

You'd better be careful, or your "friend" will trade you in for a Malaysian ladyboy with a harelip and a wooden leg who's happy to shop at Payless Shoes every few months. Prada bag indeed!

Carla, $1,500 is out of the question these days, but IM me the details and we see. I don't live in or near the U.S. though, so the direct dealing ain't happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back