Need a short story title (1 Viewer)

willtoobroke

The Right Wing is the scourge of humanity
Looking for a short story by Buk that includes a character named "Willie" and his penchant for "celery". As I recall the cover of the short story collection was black and white. Would have been published late sixties early seventies.

Hope someone can help.

Was the short story collection only stories by Bukowski, or was it an anthology?

I can't recall and black and white covers from the late 60's early 70's, especially if they are all short stories.

Still, it is early here, so maybe that is the problem...

Bill

Thanks for the sleuthing...

It was an all Bukowski collection. As I recall this little story was about 3/4 the way through. Tried to find the contents of Buk's books on the net to no avail. Good chance I'd know the title if I heard it.

So it's maybe whittled down to Notes and Erections.

Writing from the arse end of the world (Australia) so everyone's probably asleep.

Of course there won't be a title if it was in 'Notes of a Dirty Old Man'.

I'll play. Was it put out by Black Rabbit Press?

That would be cool if the mighty Black Rabbit published Buk in a full collection. kryss did publish him in three collections. "We are the Secret Living Leprosy", "The Allegheny Star Route ", and "Cockroach Hotel"....

Of course, this may have been an inside joke that I did not get... Maybe I need to read the poker thread.

Bill

* koff *

Charles Bukowski on Willie (Unknown Binding)
by Charles Bukowski (Author)

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

* Publisher: Black Rabbit Press (1968)

Well, mjp, you are so right. Did I think to check contents via this site? Actually, I did, but the page you sent me to isn't exactly jumping out of the Works Sidebar, so I went straight to the forum.

Anyhoo, it looks like Erections is the book I'm looking for. And the story called "Beer and Poets and Talk" on p. 381 might be the one.

Anyone having a copy of this book, can they take a squiz and see if t'is?

If so, I'll order through local book store, but will take a couple of weeks to get here, if I'm lucky.

I don't have my copy handy but if you order it from a bookstore it will be sort of expensive since it's out of print. Anything in Erections... is still available in either The Most Beautiful Woman in Town or Tales of Ordinary Madness.

Anyhoo, it looks like Erections is the book I'm looking for. And the story called "Beer and Poets and Talk" on p. 381 might be the one. Anyone having a copy of this book, can they take a squiz and see if t'is?
"Beer and Poets and Talk" does feature a character called Willie, but skimming through it I don't see any celery. Green onions yes. Celery no.

As chronic says, Erections was split into two and that story is in the volume called "Tales of Ordinary Madness".

I do recall a story where B mentioned celery quite a few times, but can't recall the title. Many Notes of a Dirty Old Man columns were later collected in Erections.

Kryss did publish a story by Bukowski -not listed above- but it's not the one you're looking for.

Charles Bukowski on Willie (Unknown Binding)
by Charles Bukowski (Author) * Publisher: Black Rabbit Press (1968)
The Willie is probably the title "Cockroach Hotel". The author of that is "The Willie". Abel can confirm if this is an introduction, or what.

Also, Abel, which book did kryss publish a Buk short story?

Bill

Success! Great buncha blokes on the trail of an old man's quest. (Def: he who stares slaveringly at beautiful women on public transport and they don't even know he's there. Talk about pensioner privileges!)

Thanks to Hank Solo for checking the story out. Green onions makes more sense. Often ate the wild variety just beyond the soft shoulder during imporverished hitchhikes. Also for pointing me to Tales of Ordinary Madness, which the local bookstore does have.

Thanks also to Abel who wakened me from a forty years slumber.

I'm the willie in the story, etc. About to kick off a new blog with a little memoir about Buk.

Thanks again to all youse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back