Neil Young - Living With War available online for free (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
it's here:
http://www.hyfntrak.com/neilyoung2/AFF23130/

it'll be streaming for free during a few days. the CD/DVD will available in stores in early May. This was recorded in early April (in a 3 day session), so it sounds kind of rushed and muffled at times, but that's the way it is.

I listened to it right now and the best tracks to me are "The Restless Consumer," "Shock and Awe", and "Lookin' for a Leader". Hey, this guys rocks for being 60! "Flags of Freedom" is a nice tribute to Dylan.

The lyrics may seem a bit lame here and there and the 100 voice choir is sure odd and weird at times in a very odd and weird Neil Young kind of way.

I guess "Let's Impeach the President" won't get no airplay in the US :D

Thanks Mr Cirerita,
You're a good man.
Wait a minute, Damn!, it just stopped after the first song....

I''l fix it, but anyway,
You better believe that
Even if I don't like the Impeach Our President song,
I'll still call all the radio stations
(every other hour) :D
Requesting to hear it

cirerita said:
I guess "Let's Impeach the President" won't get no airplay in the US :D
You're probably right, but not because of the content. Radio over here doesn't play Neil Young songs period, unless it's an oldies ("classic rock") station. Radio here is about commerce and safety. Innovation, quality or historical significance (as Krumhansl would say) never enter into the equation.

When Young is safely in the ground and can't make any more records, he'll be recognized and hailed as an important figure by America at large. But not until then. That's the way we do it.

well, the content of that song is no joke. you can hear Bush bullshitting while Neil Young and the 100 voice choir chant "flip flop".

I thought for a minute that I had accidentally logged in to a Neil Young website. I thought, wait a minute, better log out until I realised that at least some of you Hank fans are Shakey fans too. That great because the two of them are in my top 10 All Time Greats Of All Time list along with, the four Ramones, The Stooges, Cormac McCarthy, Arthur Lee, Beethoven, Elmore Leonard, Randy Newman, most women, George Pelecanos, Stan and Ollie, Hank Williams and the two kids who transformed my garden with a pair of shears and a lawnmower this afternoon. Let the party roll. Thanks for the info on Neils new project. I'll keep an eye, as they say. "I ROARED LIKE A MADMAN".....

Just listened to it. It felt like the old days of hope & freedom, cirerita. Thanks for the heads-up. Neil Young; still fighting after all these years.

SD

the album is getting airplay after all. Neil Young even thanked US radios for playing the album.

apparently, Neil Young recorded this bunch of songs because he was waiting for some young musicians to come up with something similar and since nobody did it, he decided it was his time.

there's a Bukowski connection in this album. asked about the "ragged glory" :D sound of the guitar, Young said: "the guitar was playing by itself", which reminds me of Bukowski saying that the typer wrote the poems, not him.

cirerita said:
there's a Bukowski connection in this album. asked about the "ragged glory" :D sound of the guitar, Young said: "the guitar was playing by itself", which reminds me of Bukowski saying that the typer wrote the poems, not him.

Yes, that's, I think, when the best of one's stuff comes out; when it's automatic writing and the spirit/mind takes over and lets it flow. Buk was a channel to some of the best the universe has to offer (Okay, I'll get off my knees now, as I make the sign of the cross; but you know what I mean---and, did you notice in the "Born" DVD that Linda said he was into transcendental meditation at the end of his life? I have little truck with TM, but it's interesting; quite.

SD

TM sounds allright to me; I mean, I don't practice it, but I know a lot of people who practice different kinds of meditation, and if it works for them, that's allright.

and yes, B did even try Ayurvedic healing shortly before he died. All this Eastern stuff was Linda's influence for sure, but I'm really happy B tried those new ways. It probably opened up doors he even didn't know were there.

I've translated 5 books of Ayurvedic medicine and it's really interesting. There's a movie titled Ayurveda: The Art of Being, which I believe is an accurate portrayal of what I read in the books.

cirerita said:
I've translated 5 books of Ayurvedic medicine and it's really interesting. There's a movie titled Ayurveda: The Art of Being, which I believe is an accurate portrayal of what I read in the books.

That's wild. I'll keep an eye out for it. It is along my interest track, thanks,

SD

according to Nielsen SoundScan, LWW went from #15 to #7 last week:

1 Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Stadium Arcadium (Warner)
2 Tool -- 10,000 Days (Zomba)
3 James Blunt -- Back to Bedlam (Atlantic)
4 Pearl Jam -- Pearl Jam (RCA)
5 Michael Bublé -- It's Time (Warner)
6 Shakira -- Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 (Epic)
7 Neil Young -- Living With War (Warner)
8 Rihanna -- Girl Like Me (Def Jam)
9 Johnny Cash -- Legend of Johnny Cash (Hip-O)
10 Andrea Bocelli -- Amore (Universal)

they also say that the album has been downloaded 250.000 times.

Kevin Spacey appeared on SNL doing one of those SNL skits where he imitated Neil Young pretty convincingly:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6234/2780/1600/N Young People.0.jpg

Hey, another Bukowski-Neil Young connection. Neil Young's online "newspaper" to promote LWW is called Living With War Today - All War All the Time

it's here:
http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
well, no one said Young wasn't a bit strange...

Well, some people take themselves too seriously. "Fork in the Road" is just a fun track. Not a great song, sure, but Young has penned worst songs in the past:
http://www.neilyoung.com/forkintheroad/forkintheroadvideo.html

Kind of Bukowskian humour here:
"I'm a big rock star
My sales have tanked...

Download this [Itunes material, mp3 files, etc.]
Sounds like shit...

There's bailout coming but it's not for you
It's for those creeps watching tickers on TV..."

Truth is most of the new "car songs" are awful, as recent live recordings show. "Singing a Song Won't Change the World", "Light a Candle" and "Get Around" are ok, the others are simply below average.

"Neil Young, you see, does whatever the fuck he wants"

And that's why I will always love him. Does anyone remember The Shocking Pinks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back