New Bukowski reading DVDs (1 Viewer)

I have to wait until 3-3-08 to order the set,no fun money left-anyway who out there knows how long it took Buk to write one of his books? Did he write from start to finish?or have a poem or two while doing the books?I know he did more than sit around and write all day,did post office take a long time?just want to know the man better.

I got the DVD's today. I have'nt had time to watch them yet, but I took a look at the poem listings. Too bad they deleted some poems from "Redondo Beach" because they also appear on "Vancouver" (unfortunately, they also deleted the poem, "I believe in evil", which does'nt appear on the other DVD). After all, you want to watch the complete unedited readings. It's small potatoes, of course. The main thing is that we now, finally, can watch those Buk readings! Long live mondaymedia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember too that it took multiple tapes to cover the readings. So it could just be that a tape ran out during "I believe in evil," and there wasn't enough video there to cover up the gap (as they did with freeze frames in Bukowski at Bellevue). But I agree that editing the readings to remove duplicate poems was pointless.

And you're right, the thing to remember is now we have them. So debating their flaws is kind of like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm told that sales are already good, and also that they only pressed 1000 copies of each reading. So, while I wouldn't expect them to sell out in a week or anything, I'd still get while the getting's good. It would suck to go to buy them 6 months from now and find they're gone (like the elusive Barfly DVDs).

Damn, I'd better buy these while I can. It's hard to keep up when you have five minutes a day to look at the Forum (which equals about one minute in brain time when you haven't had your coffee yet). Okay: buy these DVDs, send away for that 1962 tape. What else am I missing? Oh, and the hardback Father Luke book. I'm still annoyed at myself for missing that one.

OK I ordered both. Now I wait, like for Father Luke's book, I wait, like David Barker and Justin Barrett's books, I wait. Man I have the shakes.

Dennis and Jon (Mondaymedia). Jon owns the Redondo Beach tape, Dennis owns the Vancouver tape. Linda introduced them.

i stand corrected.

Thanks Dennis and Jon! These are really great.
All the readings I've heard on tapes, for forever, are now magical moments of eye candy

(sticking my finger down my throat at my stupid attempt at imagery)

Seriously. These are great.
Really great.

Watched the Redondo Beach last night. Hmm, not bad, but I think the Vancouver reading was better... and longer, of course. Same scheme, though: crowd pleasers -weak poems- as openers and the best ones at the end. Too bad he's too drunk at the end and babbles a lot.

I noticed something interesting. I didn't see him smiling when reading his poems at the Vancouver reading. Sure, he laughs a lot and smiles when he interacts with the crowd, but he's damn serious while reading. In the Redondo Beach reading, he does smile while reading some lines. Check "I'm a reasonable man" (about the last time he saw Linda King). He smiles a few times, almost mockingly.

Thanks Father Luke and mjp for setting my mind at ease. Nothing pisses me off quite like paying good money for a movie on eBay and getting a lousy rip-off pirated copy that usually won't even play correctly.

And thanks to the filmmakers for making these available to Bukowski fans.

In the Redondo Beach reading, he does smile while reading some lines. Check "I'm a reasonable man" (about the last time he saw Linda King). He smiles a few times, almost mockingly.
He probably knew half the people in the audience at Redondo. Maybe he thought he could get away with inside jokes there, whereas Vancouver was all strangers (though Linda B. was there...).

I haven't seen The Last Straw yet, but judging by the audio which I've heard many times, he may have also been in a better mood that night.

I got the DVD's today. I have'nt had time to watch them yet, but I took a look at the poem listings. Too bad they deleted some poems from "Redondo Beach" because they also appear on "Vancouver" (unfortunately, they also deleted the poem, "I believe in evil", which does'nt appear on the other DVD).

My mistake! I just watched The Last Straw (Redondo Beach) and the poem, "I Believe In Evil", is there alright. I think the reason why it's not on the list of poems, is because Buk's not reading it from his poem collection, instead he's improvising it!

mine came today.
I'm preparing to watch the fuck out of them.
nice note included. at least I'm #1 at something....

mine came today.
I'm preparing to watch the fuck out of them.
nice note included. at least I'm #1 at something....
Wow, you were their first costumer! Nice note you got!
Funny that a lot of us received the DVD's before you...:confused:

Funny that a lot of us received the DVD's before you...:confused:

because the Canadian dollar is quite strong right now, there are a lot of Canucks buying things from the U.S., creating strains on the postal service.
and also a delay at customs because of the large quantities.
so they say.

Well, i've ordered this today and just can't wait. It looks just awesome. And who knows where exist (if exist) the rest of fantastic Buk's materials...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back