new(est) kid in town. (1 Viewer)

Hi All,
I've been prowling around the site for a year or so now, checking in about twice a day to keep up on all the Buk info ... finally signed up last month. Just got a copy of "A Common Thread" in the mail today which, I suppose, is what has sparked this introduction. I'll probably fade back into the shadows but wanted to thank everyone that makes this site so pleasurable to visit everyday. Take care. Don't Try ;)

Welcome aboard, openeye! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your Buk reading - and don't fade into the shadows. The shadows will do nicely by themselves...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too much to tell really. I write a little (poetry), play bass, record bands from time to time in the home studio, a little photography here and there. All depends on where the ADD is taking me at the time, ha. As far as my Buk reading is concerned I've read the books listed below ... and I love the fact that i've only scratched the surface :)

Post Office, Factotum, Women, Ham On Rye, Hollywood, all the Bukowski letters, Love Is A Dog From Hell, Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, War All The Time, Tales Of Ordinary Madness, the Sounes Biography, the N.C. Bio, and halfway through Notes Of A Dirty Old Man as we speak/write. Videos: Born Into This, the BBC documentary, Bukowski Tapes, Buk@Bellevue. CDs: Hostage, Reads His Own.., Terror Street..., Neither Bought For Gold... and a couple others that escape me at the moment. (Nola tapes?)

We used to go to Floyd, VA for the "Friday Night Jamboree" bluegrass concerts. Bluegrass being played on nearly every corner. Very spontaneous. People everywhere breaking out their cardboard boxes to clogdance on... If you want a real taste of rural America, this is it. I think that Floyd has one stop light.

Bill

There is a Baptist boarding school there for kids who really fuck up and who's parents don't know what to do with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Hill_Academy_(Virginia))
It looks like a rich-kid school, but they must have taken my sister as a charity case as we had NO money. Barely enough for food and rent, let alone a prep school.

Or maybe your sister was just really good at basketball. ;)

I grew up not far from there and I used to go to some of their games when I was little. They always had a handful of future NBA players.

Welcome, openeye! I know Galax very well.

Welcome openeye, I guess you know your way around already. I have a friend in northern Va who looks for ginseng. He finds it too. Just like our founding fathers.

Not too much to tell really. I write a little (poetry), play bass, record bands from time to time in the home studio, a little photography here and there. All depends on where the ADD is taking me at the time, ha. As far as my Buk reading is concerned I've read the books listed below ... and I love the fact that i've only scratched the surface :)

Post Office, Factotum, Women, Ham On Rye, Hollywood, all the Bukowski letters, Love Is A Dog From Hell, Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, War All The Time, Tales Of Ordinary Madness, the Sounes Biography, the N.C. Bio, and halfway through Notes Of A Dirty Old Man as we speak/write. Videos: Born Into This, the BBC documentary, Bukowski Tapes, Buk@Bellevue. CDs: Hostage, Reads His Own.., Terror Street..., Neither Bought For Gold... and a couple others that escape me at the moment. (Nola tapes?)

I would say you've scratched more that just the surface! You're already well into Buk and you've covered a lot of important Buk ground, although there's still books you have'nt read yet. Well done, openeye...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I grew up in NoVa, Alexandria till I was 12 then we moved down the road a bit to Woodbridge. I've been in Galax for 9 years now and you have the pronunciation correct, ha.

thanks Bukfan, I've got quite a few left to read and then I plan on starting right back at the beginning ;)

Marina ... I have a hard time believing even one person has heard of Galax, much less two people on the Buk Forum, ha!

Good talking with you all, thanks for the welcoming party :)

Haha, that's always a touchy subject isn't it? I prefer fingers but will resort to a pick when I play with faster/heavier style groups. Fingers definitely have a better "sound"/"feel".

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have a reasonably priced letterpress for sale? Preferably 5x8 or larger :)

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have a reasonably priced letterpress for sale? Preferably 5x8 or larger :)

5x8 presses are painfully overpriced right now. Artists got into letterpress and because 5x8s are small and easy to move, they have gone up in price. Contact Dave Churchman in Indianapolis if you want a nice press, at a fair price and ready to print once you take it out of the box.

What would you consider a "fair price"? I may know someone in the area that has one. You would need to pick it up, but it is in Delaware. It could be shipped, but Northern DE is not that far (I'm in Central Delaware)... It would be a Kelsey 5x8. I'm not sure if he is willing to sell it, but I'll ask.

Bill

And a 5x8 is going to frustrate (and possibly kill) you if you want to print anything larger than a postcard.

... I think you've (all) convinced me to wait it out for a while. I was only planning on using it for small pages of text but I can see that the 5x8 would be very "limiting", no room to grow and all.

... on another note ... I'm lookin' forward to the new book "hooch". Any word on what differences there will be in the deluxe edition? :)

I bet hooch would read it to you on the phone. That would be the very deluxe edition. The ultimate deluxe would be fly him to your favorite bar and he reads and drinks. (Hecklers are extra)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back