• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

New, first post, seeking, 'The Captain is out to lunch..." and (1 Viewer)

other books NOT highly collectable. Can't pay absurd retail prices and not finding much at the used stores.
A borrowed paperback of 'The Captain...etc' from the library fell apart in my hands, I'd love to find a hardback binding of it, I love this book. Also if anyone can tell me names of other books similiar to 'The Captain is out to lunch and the sailors have taken over the ship' I would love to know, Im a neophyte with Bukowski and more than a little obsessed.

Looking to own more poetry books, not short stories at this point, and more like the 'journal style' of 'Captain'.

Write me at [email protected]

Hi Hannah. For books, try ebay or abebooks.com; just type Bukowski into the search engine and you'll get loads of hits. I'd suggest some early stuff. Try "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame" - a collection of the earliest and, in my opinion, the best poetry.

'The Captain...' is the only journal / diary book.

You might like to try some of the collected letters.

Black Sparrow published 4, although most readers find the Sheri Martinelli book poor when compared to the others:
  1. Screams from the Balcony: Selected Letters 1960 - 1970
  2. Living on Luck: Selected Letters 1960s-1970s
  3. Reach for the Sun: Selected Letters, 1978-1994
  4. Beerspit Night and Cursing: The Correspondence of Charles Bukowski & Sheri Martinelli 1960-1967

In the UK, Virgin Books put out letters as... Selected Letters: Volumes 1 to 4. Not sure if the contents are exactly the same. I imagine they are, but not as well done as the BSP books. But you might pick them up cheaply on eBay or somewhere. Watch out on postage charges if you buy from the UK though.

There's also the Bukowski / Purdy Letters 1964 - 1974, published by Paget Press, but thats more of a 'collectors item' and far more expensive as a result.

Here in Texas we have a chain of used and reminder book shops called, 'Half-Price Books', maybe you have them too...
Anyway, founda whole SLEW of new 'Bukowski Selected Letters in four volumes put out by Virgin, edited by Seamus Cooney. I got volumes 1,2 and 4, (oddly enough) for $4.98 a book.
I guess it will do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back